possible to get a 1 year tourist visa ?

I'd say ED visa (apply for it through a language school) OR Elite visa - retirement. I am not aware (but know far less than many of the learned ages herein) of any other ways to stay long term as you wish. As others have said border runs for tourist visas now and for the unknown foreseeable future - nada. METV out - previous posters explained why no to this.

On 2/20/2022 at 1:47 AM, LivinLOS said:

For now you can likely continue to get ongoing covid extensions due to an 'inability to travel' but these are going to be case by case, end at some stage, and are hence always a worry and not stress free. 

I thought Covid extensions had finished?

On 2/17/2022 at 11:10 AM, BritTim said:

No. The STV is extended in Thailand wit no need to leave and re-enter Thailand to prolong your stay.

According to the Thai Embassy in London's website - STV's cannot be extended after 30 September 2021.

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/special-tourist-visa-stv?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

Edited by KhaoYai

On 2/17/2022 at 5:21 PM, DoneTravelling said:

I never understand why people come on these forums asking such questions. If they are in Thailand just go to immigration or an immigration agent and get a formal answer.

that why the forum is here, used to be called Thaivisa for that reason, 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

I thought Covid extensions had finished?

End on March 25, however with land borders closed the availability of covid extensions could be extended again.

I still have no idea why some immigration offices have been refusing to issue covid extension to folk that entered on tourist visa or visa exempt. 

Along with reported rude and aggressive style towards tourists. 

There is no stated limit. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

On 2/18/2022 at 8:49 AM, Searat7 said:

As I remember the METV before Covid you could have three sixty day stays, each extendable by 30 days so theoretically you could stay up to 9 months but would have to leave the country twice to do this . This is why it was not available for some time during Covid. I just rechecked website for Washington and it says one 60 day visit only along with one 30 day extension.

a metv is just that a multi entry tourist visa, i think they were valid for 6 months, good for multiple entries given 60 days on each entry, all entries could be extended for 30 days

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I still have no idea why some immigration offices have been refusing to issue covid extension

Conversely, I have no idea why they issued most Covid extensions in the first place.  With a very limited number of exceptions, its has been possible to fly out of Thailand quite easily since, I think it was July last year.  Given that literally thousands of people have visited Thailand and left since then, it seems very odd that extensions are still available.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

I have no idea why they issued most Covid extensions in the first place

You don't need to understand why.

The fact is the government did put them into gazette and then extended them.

Not really important if you don't understand why that was done. 

Edited by DrJack54

46 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Does not seem odd to me at all.

Currently land borders are closed.

When some open then covid extensions will cease to be on offer.

You know exactly what I mean. There are Brits in Thailand living on Covid extensions - yet I've visited and returned to the UK.

5 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

You know exactly what I mean. There are Brits in Thailand living on Covid extensions - yet I've visited and returned to the UK.

You mean the covid extensions that Thai government put into place for a period and then extended that period and yet again. The ones with no rider of how many are to be issued to any given person.

The most recent covid extensions issued post Jan 25 were not available to those that entered with non O however were continued to be issued to those that entered on tourist visas and visa exempt. 

The fact you visited Thailand and returned to UK is relevant how?.

Rhetorical question. 

9 months for 46k for an ED visa from a school or 9 months for same for Muay Thai visa.

need 4 to 6 weeks to process, but you should be able to get covid ext since you just got here (but who knows in reality)

90k from an agent to get you the same types if you have hidden issues you haven't mentioned in your post.

55 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You mean the covid extensions that Thai government put into place for a period and then extended that period and yet again. The ones with no rider of how many are to be issued to any given person.

The most recent covid extensions issued post Jan 25 were not available to those that entered with non O however were continued to be issued to those that entered on tourist visas and visa exempt. 

The fact you visited Thailand and returned to UK is relevant how?.

Rhetorical question. 

No intention of arguing with you, you know exactly what I mean.

10 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

According to the Thai Embassy in London's website - STV's cannot be extended after 30 September 2021.

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/special-tourist-visa-stv?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

Thai embassy websites regularly contain outdated or downright inaccurate information (though the London embassy's site is often accurate). In this case, the information about the STV on the London Thai Embassy website was accurate for much of last year. However, the special tourist visa scheme was extended for a further year. See https://www.tatnews.org/2021/09/thailand-extends-special-tourist-visa-scheme-for-one-more-year/.

• Thanks 1

I know of no 1 year visa.

I recommend you get a Special Tourist Visa. Then do a border run or go abroad for a 60 day visa, then get a 30 day extension. Voila ...270 + 60 + 30 days.

Laos & Cambodia or possibly Malaysia are good candidates.

Vietnam & Singapore incur more expenses. 

I presume you can apply on line for the visa from anywhere, but will need to go abroad to re-enter to activate the visa.

Entering by airport is most probably the best way to do this.

Use a VPN from your home country to hide your actual location. 

It is on the embassy in London website but is out of date. Just ignore the the September of 2021 date since it has been extended to 2022. https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/special-tourist-visa-stv?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

You can also find it on the e visa website. https://thaievisa.go.th/

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, BritTim said:

Thai embassy websites regularly contain outdated or downright inaccurate information (though the London embassy's site is often accurate). In this case, the information about the STV on the London Thai Embassy website was accurate for much of last year. However, the special tourist visa scheme was extended for a further year. See https://www.tatnews.org/2021/09/thailand-extends-special-tourist-visa-scheme-for-one-more-year/.

E-mail sent to the Thai Embassy in London pointing out the inaccuracies - not holding my breath for a reply, at least not a polite one.  Last time I pointed out an error on their website I got a very sarcastic reply and more or less told to mind my own business ????.  They clearly don't take kindly to criticism, no matter how poiltely its put.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Londinium said:

Can the STV be converted to an Non-O and then extended for retirement?

No

The rules for a STV state it cannot be changed to another category of visa. Which would be a non-o visa for retirement.

• Thanks 1