Building a new house in Isaan

Encid

2 hours ago, Encid said:

Our neighbour has had her land ploughed, as preparation for this year's rice harvest.

They were very careful not to come anywhere our wall's footings.

Looking at the picture I would strongly advise putting a line of posts in from one government marker to the next all around 'your' land. As you may have noticed, land is the most important possession for Thais and for Thai farmers in particular. This year things may look ok but come the harvesting time things could be different. Harvesters will not worry too much about encroaching a bit here and there as they chew up land with their tracks.

• Like 2

On 4/12/2022 at 8:45 AM, Encid said:

Thanks for that link although it probably does not apply here in Thailand.

This is probably the closest to what I bought:

Capture.JPG.57d219a1ea64229f3548c6151e977618.JPG

I checked the receipt for what I purchased at Global House and it is LDPE pipe rated at 4 bar (or 58 PSI) pressure and LDPE compression fittings rated at 8 bar (or 116 PSI) pressure.

Capture.JPG.f3847a4b24e19db5513765742de2c669.JPG

Capture.JPG.8e9aea9350e19a6c6ae6c90d5c73ace6.JPG

I tried the blue fittings on the beginning on the pressure side of pump, but changed to the green ones bought from Thaiwatsadu.

No problem with leaks and handle pressure better.

received_1936179009906566.jpeg

Edited by Hummin

58 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Are you growing leeks?

Our Welsh members will be queueing up...

How to Clean Leeks

Sorry, fetching my coat!!

Sorry, fetching my coat!!

Why?

You popping out for a leak?

• Haha 2

On 2/19/2022 at 7:21 PM, BritManToo said:

On the other hand, termites love drywall, for food and to hide behind.

ZERO problems like that on rendered blocks/concrete.

And when the rains come blocks/concrete stand - drywall becomes mush and mildew heaven.  The cost of block/concrete is still reasonable in Thailand and that is what most people know.

On 2/19/2022 at 8:30 PM, KhaoYai said:

Every house I have ever seen built in the US, including 2 brand new ones being built right now 2/22 that I have been sent photos of, all use drywall.

There is a reason for that.

Cheap to build.  Few with skills to do cement construction and not cost competitive.  Net result - homes that burn down - homes that rot away with rains - homes that are a total loss with floods.  Drywall may be fine for second floor but ground floor in Thailand needs protecting from floods most places - there is a reason wood homes were built on stilts.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Though for a percentage, yes. For the majority, no. For the majority it’s a shade area, secure machine and animal area etc.

Actually believe for the majority flood protection is a factor and the machine/livestock/hammock are uses.  And having seen the countryside covered with water for weeks on end (including Bangkok some 30-40 years ago) consider it good planning.  Over the years many have built down and have two story homes now but most have made bottom cement block so even if flooded clean up is minimal.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It's been 2 months since last time we visited the farm, and it is pleasing to see that the local couch grass has grown quickly and is now helping stabilize the land and minimize erosion.

293179278_1470587540058148_4983411476660965739_n.thumb.jpg.87556ef8948ea3a3e76021057323d578.jpg

You can see how far the roots have penetrated the topsoil in this photo showing the ramp from the elevated land down to the rice fields.

Vetiver grass has also been recently planted along this embankment as well so in a few months time it should all be pretty stable.

As you can see from all the water in the rice fields the rain has been very consistent this year so far.

293281553_370162311722497_4110743348676323874_n.thumb.jpg.a93ee90a59885c5c0db6d7898cb306df.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/22/2022 at 3:40 PM, Encid said:

Now some bad news...

One of our power poles has fallen down.

It was one at a corner where the cable route changed direction.

The pole was not supported by guy wires either, which I wanted at all changes in direction but our builder said "not needed".

From the photos it is evident that the workers took a short-cut... pole was not sunk deep enough and not enough concrete poured either.

278204641_354735116547343_7114416615693488000_n.thumb.jpg.dd3708bd54d8598aae491a0b30d33c9b.jpg

279788292_1135800873866924_3044991691697922379_n.thumb.jpg.0a2be1a455e4dc47f609306011b8905d.jpg

280257113_817510669223046_6751071655593989959_n.thumb.jpg.5bc63b86a76fa98683d5a0ec4618951a.jpg

More bad news... 2 more poles have fallen over with all the heavy rain this year.

In the interim the cables are now supported on bamboo poles running straight across the farm.

Our builder is most embarrassed and apologetic and has promised to fix them and install proper guy wires at cable changes in direction as I suggested he do several months ago.

I am really trying hard not to say "I told you so..." but I think he's lost enough face already.

I don't need to rub it in... he knows!

No photos to show because most of our family is infected with COVID again... so we are staying clear for a while.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

53 minutes ago, Encid said:

More bad news... 2 more poles have fallen over with all the heavy rain this year.

In the interim the cables are now supported on bamboo poles running straight across the farm.

Our builder is most embarrassed and apologetic and has promised to fix them and install proper guy wires at cable changes in direction as I suggested he do several months ago.

I am really trying hard not to say "I told you so..." but I think he's lost enough face already.

No photos to show because most of our family is infected with COVID again... so we are staying clear for a while.

Sorry to hear about this (and the covid, had it a few months ago)..........We are into our new house and I have to admit the standard of workmanship is atrocious......so a power pole not sunk deep enough and falling over comes as no surprise........you have to stand over them and watch everything they do, every step of the way......they just don't care.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

so a power pole not sunk deep enough and falling over comes as no surprise

Our builder was most unhappy when he saw the first pole laying down... his people had only put minimal concrete in the hole as can be seen from the photo below.

The pole was sunk deep enough (1.5m), but it should have been completely covered in concrete to the full width of the hole.

As it was at a change in direction guy wires should also have been fitted to prevent the pole from being pulled back towards the cable run.

It's all down to cutting corners and saving time and money.

I bet he tore strips off the work crew!

image.png.4c0c4132233e20e6ad8f0215c0c53e4d.png

Edited by Encid
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Encid said:

I'd like to this so, but I am not too sure.

We had to force our builder to sack two workers for the quality of their work......!!!!

He eventually had to spent a small fortune rectifying what they did.

19 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

you have to stand over them and watch everything they do, every step of the way......they just don't care.

When it comes to building our house I plan to be there every day observing.

If something isn't being done correctly I will call the builder immediately and get him to sort his people out.

If anything is done in an unsafe manner I will stop the work from continuing... there will be no injuries on my build if I can help it.

1 minute ago, Encid said:

When it comes to building our house I plan to be there every day observing.

If something isn't being done correctly I will call the builder immediately and get him to sort his people out.

If anything is done in an unsafe manner I will stop the work from continuing... there will be no injuries on my build if I can help it.

Spot on........the only thing I would say is, be as diplomatic as you can.....the old saving face thing is very real!!!!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

We are into our new house and I have to admit the standard of workmanship is atrocious......

C'mon Will... show us the photos!

Have you got a house build topic of your own going yet?

Just now, Encid said:

Yes...from sometime ago.....a few pics were posted of the cosmetic stuff, but that was just the tip of the iceberg.

2 minutes ago, Encid said:

Patio railings loose and had to be refitted

30% of all floor tiles had 'hollow corners'

Kitchen fitters had a torrid time as walls were far from true.

Outside tiles had to be re-grouted twice.

Path outside had to relaid as it was nowhere near level to the house.

Three septic tank systems had to be dug up and re-routed

There were no water traps fitted to anything and no venting.....all had to be retro-fitted.

Back and front doors have no weatherboards and 1 cm gaps to the floor.

The internal walls were so badly finished it took 6 man days to dress and rectify them.

All the sliding windows were fitted without seals

None of the builders waste was cleared from the site.

Other than all went well.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Encid said:

You have my sympathies. It really is a shame having so many negatives all at once. Those poles really should have 2 metres below ground where there is a paddy field or two adjacent

• Like 1

On 8/24/2022 at 5:14 AM, Encid said:

Our builder was most unhappy when he saw the first pole laying down... his people had only put minimal concrete in the hole as can be seen from the photo below.

The pole was sunk deep enough (1.5m), but it should have been completely covered in concrete to the full width of the hole.

As it was at a change in direction guy wires should also have been fitted to prevent the pole from being pulled back towards the cable run.

It's all down to cutting corners and saving time and money.

image.png.4c0c4132233e20e6ad8f0215c0c53e4d.png

That is not showing being sunk 1.5 meters

• Like 1

20 hours ago, KIngsofisaan said:

That is not showing being sunk 1.5 meters

You are probably correct although I have not been back to measure them.

As the poles are 8m long we will request that the builder re-plants the fallen poles to 2 metres depth and back-fill with concrete, as well as add the guy wires I mentioned earlier.

• Like 1

On the positive side the local couch grass and the vetiver grass is growing well and has stabilized the sloping ground.

301963510_3298434347105413_7006320060692166189_n.thumb.jpg.993b016d889629f6c6a960cf920f7e0a.jpg

302152022_816573766450658_3283578645314582001_n.thumb.jpg.d7faf9d9e669dab56304f03befa30230.jpg

The grass has grown so well that there have been many offers from locals who want to cut the grass and use it as feed for their cows and buffalo, but we are not prepared to take the risk that careless cutting will result in our vetiver grass being damaged or killed.

We have plenty of time and the ongoing rains are helping the grass get established (and assisting in soil settlement).

Erosion is now minimal, and only in the areas where vehicles enter and exit the property via ramps.

7 minutes ago, Encid said:

On the positive side the local couch grass and the vetiver grass is growing well and has stabilized the sloping ground.

301963510_3298434347105413_7006320060692166189_n.thumb.jpg.993b016d889629f6c6a960cf920f7e0a.jpg

302152022_816573766450658_3283578645314582001_n.thumb.jpg.d7faf9d9e669dab56304f03befa30230.jpg

The grass has grown so well that there have been many offers from locals who want to cut the grass and use it as feed for their cows and buffalo, but we are not prepared to take the risk that careless cutting will result in our vetiver grass being damaged or killed.

We have plenty of time and the ongoing rains are helping the grass get established (and assisting in soil settlement).

Erosion is now minimal, and only in the areas where vehicles enter and exit the property via ramps.

We let a relative or two bring their cows and buffaloes onto our land and get loads of free compost in return. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Encid said:

As the poles are 8m long we will request that the builder re-plants the fallen poles to 2 metres depth and back-fill with concrete, as well as add the guy wires I mentioned earlier.

I have a 12 metre post in my garden. If anyone wants it it's free (if you can get it out the hole)

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

We let a relative or two bring their cows and buffaloes onto our land and get loads of free compost in return. 

FIL does that in the dry season after rice harvesting has finished.

But with our new water well and solar pump he is considering year-round cultivation due to a plentiful water supply.

On 8/24/2022 at 9:19 AM, Encid said:

If anything is done in an unsafe manner I will stop the work from continuing.

You'll never even get started with this attitude unfortunately.

flip flops are standard footware on site.

On 8/31/2022 at 2:57 PM, Encid said:

You are probably correct although I have not been back to measure them.

I have 7 metre poles in the ground 700mm as that was as deep as my post hole borer(250mm bore) would go then filled with cement.

No problems with angle changes but not in a rice field like yours.

I would cut the poles in half for stability and just raise the height to 5.5 metres where vehicle access is required.

14 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

I would cut the poles in half for stability and just raise the height to 5.5 metres where vehicle access is required.

That Vehicle access could be anywhere. Why?

Because in the Rice Harvest season they uses Rice Field dividers to cross from 1 field into another and they don't care if there is a Power Cable hanging a bit low ????