Bangkok to CNX - Baggage allowance/rates.

JimmyJ

Traveling in about a week Bangkok to CNX.

Getting to Bangkok on Vietnam Airlines (as well as traveling within Vietnam on same) I had 1 - 23kg (weight limit for no extra charge) checked bag, as well as 1 carryon bag of 10kg, and my "small" personal item of a backpack of about 2 kg.

This was included in the Economy Fare, no extra charge.

Now I want to go from Bangkok (from either airport) to CNX.

Just checked Thai Air and Bangkok Air - both  from Swampy.

Both have a limit of 1 checked bag of 20 kg.

Trying to interpret the excess baggage rules is a nightmare, filled with contradictory info and much of it unclear.

Likewise figuring out the carryon allowed if any and weight allowed is difficult to determine - info presented is very confusing.

Any airline/either airport is ok.

Please help with suggestions on the best way to handle the baggage situation.

Thank you.

• Confused 2

It has been some time since I last dealt with the luggage weights. What I recall was that I decided to take the bus or, if traveling heavy for international long stays was taking a whole train compartment and thus the luggage traveled with me in the compartment (overnight so also saved a one night room charge). I plan to travel like this CNX to BKK in 2023 if my USA, monthlong trip for the family comes about (we will take two adjoining train compartments). Just a thought.

• Like 1

Complicated?

ThaiSmile 20kg included.

Excess baggage BKK to CNX is 60 Baht/kg.

Carry on never weighed.

Better booking class includes 30 kg but much more than paying 600 Baht for 10 kg excess.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Nemises said:

DEB557CC-30A2-42CD-802B-9907F51C6DF1.jpeg

In the USA at a Bass Pro Shop (hunting/fishing/camping) I bought a vest with 7 pockets.

Each pocket has zipper or snap to secure contents.

I only wear it when flying.

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Complicated?

ThaiSmile 20kg included.

Excess baggage BKK to CNX is 60 Baht/kg.

Carry on never weighed.

Better booking class includes 30 kg but much more than paying 600 Baht for 10 kg excess.

"Better booking class includes 30 kg but much more than paying 600 Baht for 10 kg excess"

One thing I wanted to make sure of is that since my checkin bag is 23 kg and 20 is the max allowed, I can pay the 60THB per kg or 180 THB total excess baggage charge?

No minimum amount?

Traveling BKK to CNX on Thai Smile.

I was starting to think I would check my carryon bag also as it's 10 kg rather than 7 kg, but if carryon is never weight checked than will carry it on.

I used to fly Vietjet and Air Asia and I've had both of those check carryon weight.

To avoid that hassle, started flying out of Swampy instead of DM and paying more with Bangkok Airlines or Thai Airlines.

7 hours ago, DFPhuket said:

In my experience neither Bangkok Air nor Thai Smile check the weight of your carry on - they only weigh your checked bag. I'd keep your checked bag under 20.9 kg and put heavier items in your carry on. 

"I'd keep your checked bag under 20.9 kg and put heavier items in your carry on."

20.9 = Typo?

Or you've found they give +0.9 kg leeway?

15 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

20.9 = Typo?

Or you've found they give +0.9 kg leeway?

I've found that as long as the first two digits say 20, they haven't worried about the decimal. Certainly you should be okay at 20.5 since that rounds down. In general, full service carriers don't seem to be so concerned (or maybe they don't want to do the paperwork) when less than 0.9 kg over. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimmyJ said:

In the USA at a Bass Pro Shop (hunting/fishing/camping) I bought a vest with 7 pockets.

Each pocket has zipper or snap to secure contents.

I only wear it when flying.

Nice. I also have a jacket with many large pockets full of carry-on plus a 52 kg baggage allowance by being a Qantas Club member travelling premium economy. 

Life is good. 

5BF9A203-E7F3-40AE-BBE4-5C09629502B0.jpeg

• Like 1

I flew BKK to CNX back in Jan 2022.  Coming in from the US, I had two full checked bags (about 95 lbs total)....ok, most of the weight was stuff I was bringing to the wife ???? 

I booked a economy flight with Bangkok Airways because, IMO, they offered the best airfare along with the option of adding excess baggage (at a cost).  My flight was approx. $35 (one way) and allows 20kgs for checked baggage.  During the online booking process, you have the option of purchasing excess baggage which I did - 25kgs (55lbs) for 2250 baht (~$68).  As one person commented, it's cheaper to pay in advance because it's much more expensive at the airport if you are overweight.  Also, a bonus is Bangkok Airways has a free lounge for economy passengers...they do have free snacks, coffee, juice and free wifi.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, elgenon said:

Has anyone flown Thai Air Asia between BKK and Chiang Mai recently?  Was your experience favorable? Did you like the flight? Did they weigh your carry-on?

Can't comment on this specific route but I flew Khon Kaen - Phuket in December.

Technically everything OK. As air travel is fairly still quiet (airports, airspace) you wouldn't expect anything bad.

Never experienced weighing of carry-on for domestic flights in Thailand (so same here).

And their pricing policy with "starting price" and adding, adding... leads people to carry bulky heavy stuff on board to save the 300 to 400 Baht surplus for checked baggage.

All I hate is there extreme low cost carrier attitude with the pricing policy.

Making them look cheap at first sight.

Pay for reservation of ordinary seat, paying high for some "better" seat.

Paying for payment is the final extra.

All airlines are hit by Covid restrictions of no onboard service.

Doesn't matter for AirAsia. Not even a bottle of water is free/included under normal conditions.

If ThaiSmile serves the route I prefer them.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Can't comment on this specific route but I flew Khon Kaen - Phuket in December.

Technically everything OK. As air travel is fairly still quiet (airports, airspace) you wouldn't expect anything bad.

Never experienced weighing of carry-on for domestic flights in Thailand (so same here).

And their pricing policy with "starting price" and adding, adding... leads people to carry bulky heavy stuff on board to save the 300 to 400 Baht surplus for checked baggage.

All I hate is there extreme low cost carrier attitude with the pricing policy.

Making them look cheap at first sight.

Pay for reservation of ordinary seat, paying high for some "better" seat.

Paying for payment is the final extra.

All airlines are hit by Covid restrictions of no onboard service.

Doesn't matter for AirAsia. Not even a bottle of water is free/included under normal conditions.

If ThaiSmile serves the route I prefer them.

Thanks for taking the time for your reply.

• 2 weeks later...

A few people noted that Thai Smile never check the weight of carryons.

What about Bangkok Airways?

Do they check carryon weight?

All things being equal, would prefer Bangkok due to use of the lounge being included.

Also - has anyone ever had carryon weight checked with Thai Smile?

Edited by JimmyJ

Too late for me to delete the 1st 3 paragraphs in my post directly above this.

I just checked flight and excess baggage costs.

Bangkok much more expensive on both so will be flying Thai Smile.

BA also only allows 5 kg carryon vs 7 kg for Thai Smile.

But still wondering if anyone has had carryon weight checked on Thai Smile domestic flights (specifically BKK to CNX). 

Edited by JimmyJ

3 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Too late for me to delete the 1st 3 paragraphs in my post directly above this.

I just checked flight and excess baggage costs.

Bangkok much more expensive on both so will be flying Thai Smile.

But still wondering if anyone has had carryon weight checked on Thai Smile domestic flights (specifically BKK to CNX). 

I have just done a websearch and found out the information you require .

https://www.thaismileair.com/gallery/Baggage/GS-FM-408_Excess_baggage_charge.pdf

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I’m in the same situation.  I’ll be arriving from the U.S. via Singapore at 8:35 on September 3rd.   I’ll have 2 pieces of checked luggage at close to 23 kilos apiece, and a carryon around 7 kilos, and a small pack pack.   I can take Thai Airways or Bangkok Airways mid day and take a carryon and I checked luggage     The second checked luggage, I can check and pay the overweight fees.  Or, I can take the cheap route to the train station and ship the one piece of luggage and pick it up the next day after going back to the airport flyin flying to CNX later in the day.  My 3rd option is to take all my luggage to the train station and take the 1:45 train, get in around 4 and take a taxi to my house. 
all this depends on whether the one day quarantine is scraped at least by August. I’ve got time to wait, at least until July. 

• 4 months later...

I did buy a ticket on Thai airways.  I’ll be 24 kilos over, at 60 baht per kilo, which comes to around $41-$42.   I never could find an option to pay it in advance   I finally talked to a Thai reservation agent and she said it isn’t offered online for domestic routes. I’ll pay the 60 baht per kilo charge. 

• Like 1