App. won't install on Android Smart TV

giddyup

I am trying to install an app. called Freecable@TV which is supposed to be in Playstore, but it isn't. So I tried downloading the APK app. in Downloader, but after downloading it just keeps referring me to Playstore. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=live.free.tv_us&hl=en&gl=US

Edited by giddyup

43 minutes ago, Crossy said:

You made the same mistake as I did, assuming an Android TV would be like a giant smartphone.

https://www.businessinsider.in/tech/how-to/how-to-sideload-apps-on-android-tv/articleshow/87100257.cms

Tried that, still won't install, get message "no app found to handle this file".

• Like 1

Some apps that work OK on your phone may not work/ loss some functionality on an android box or android TV.

I tried to put MS teams on a box for my lad's home learning, couldn't get the audio/mic settings working the way I needed with a set of headphones.

8 hours ago, Crossy said:

You made the same mistake as I did, assuming an Android TV would be like a giant smartphone.

https://www.businessinsider.in/tech/how-to/how-to-sideload-apps-on-android-tv/articleshow/87100257.cms

I have been trying to screen share my Samsung Galaxy S20+ with my old Samsung Smart TV and I was advised to download SideLoad. I tried but so far still can't screen share from my phone to my Samsung Smart TV. But using Google Home, I can easily screen share to my Android TV box!

Some Tv's run something similar to Android such as Samsung running an

Tizen Operating System or Orsay Operating System or LG web os

LG, VIZIO, SAMSUNG and PANASONIC TVs are not android based, and you cannot run APKs off of them… You should just buy a fire stick and call it a day. The only TVs that are android-based, and you can install APKs are: SONY, PHILIPS and SHARP, PHILCO and TOSHIBA.
Source: https://frameboxxindore.com/apple/do-all-android-apps-work-on-android-tv.html

4 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Some Tv's run something similar to Android such as Samsung running an

Tizen Operating System or Orsay Operating System or LG web os

LG, VIZIO, SAMSUNG and PANASONIC TVs are not android based, and you cannot run APKs off of them… You should just buy a fire stick and call it a day. The only TVs that are android-based, and you can install APKs are: SONY, PHILIPS and SHARP, PHILCO and TOSHIBA.
Source: https://frameboxxindore.com/apple/do-all-android-apps-work-on-android-tv.html

What is a fire stick?

17 hours ago, giddyup said:

So I tried downloading the APK app. in Downloader

Have you successfully sideloaded APKs to this TV using this method before?

If not maybe Allow App Installations from Unknown Sources 

Can you share the TV make and model?

My best guess is that the APK is designed for a mobile phone, and not Android TV. I've run into this issue a bit, with Disney +/Hotstar. Once I found the Android TV APK it sideloaded using Downloader fine. 

There may not be an Android TV APK for this app.

You're going to have drill down on the app, their forum, other sites, to see what platforms this app might work on.

Not sure if this app supports casting, from a phone to a TV?

Edited by mtls2005

Speaking of downloading Apps, I subscribe to watchafl.

I can get it on my tablet and cast to my TV.

I also have it installed on mt STB so can watch it on my TV.

I would like to install it on my Sony TV but it doesn't support that.

As from their website.

Unsupported devices

SMART TV

• Watch AFL does not support SMART TV web browsers as they can cause playback issues while streaming
  • The Watch AFL app is not available for download on SMART TV devices

I don't know anything about APK's and downloading sideways.

I would prefer to watch it from my TV but it's no biggie.

Was wondering if any of you could tell me if it's possible or not?

TIA

8 hours ago, thaisail said:

with my old Samsung Smart TV

make, model? Your TV is on your LAN, wired or wifi? Your phone is on the same network? This TV supports casting natively?

Go to Youtube on your phone, do you see this icon (below) at the top right of the video 

Press on it, see which devices are available.

You can install and noodle with, the Google Home app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.chromecast.app

download.png

8 minutes ago, Will27 said:

I can get it on my tablet and cast to my TV.

I also have it installed on mt STB so can watch it on my TV.

I would like to install it on my Sony TV but it doesn't support that.

Two out of three ain't bad.

You could also cast it from your phone.

Sony TV make and model? Can you cast anything else to it?

Ultimately it may not be possible to install and run natively on your TV.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mtls2005 said:

Two out of three ain't bad.

You could also cast it from your phone.

Sony TV make and model? Can you cast anything else to it?

Ultimately it may not be possible to install and run natively on your TV.

Yep

Like I said, it's not a big deal but would prefer to have the App on my TV.

Have no problem casting anything.

Was just wondering if there was a way to download install it other than the usual way through playstore.

The best solution may be a separate device, like an Android Box, Firestick, Mi Stick, Google Chromecast. And there are VPN clients, from the usual suspects, for these devices. 

I prefer GCGTV, ~ 3,000-ish here.

But the Firestick looks eminently moddable, perhaps with broader developer support.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, thaisail said:

I have been trying to screen share my Samsung Galaxy S20+ with my old Samsung Smart TV and I was advised to download SideLoad. I tried but so far still can't screen share from my phone to my Samsung Smart TV. But using Google Home, I can easily screen share to my Android TV box!

I regularly share my Samsung S20 (Ultra) to a wall mounted Samsung Smart TV in an outside kitchen/bar area, just using the "Smart View" app that's already loaded on your phone.   There's only a power connection to the TV, and I use it to play music and Pulse TV from my phone.

2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Have you successfully sideloaded APKs to this TV using this method before?

If not maybe Allow App Installations from Unknown Sources 

Can you share the TV make and model?

My best guess is that the APK is designed for a mobile phone, and not Android TV. I've run into this issue a bit, with Disney +/Hotstar. Once I found the Android TV APK it sideloaded using Downloader fine. 

There may not be an Android TV APK for this app.

You're going to have drill down on the app, their forum, other sites, to see what platforms this app might work on.

Not sure if this app supports casting, from a phone to a TV?

I have used both the Sideloader app and Downloader to add APK files, but he Freecable app won't download on either. I think it's because the app won't work in Thailand, that's the message I get when I try to add it to my Android tablet. I have a Sony Bravia Android TV.

Edited by giddyup

19 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

It's on WiFI?

Surely you have some video inputs?

Sure it's on WiFi, and obviously the same as my phone.   As I said previously, I only use it to play music from my phone, and occasionally for Pulse TV again from my phone.   There is no other connection.   My wife uses it for YouTube music from her phone whilst doing yoga on an outside table.

20220223_103940.jpg

Edited by pagallim

40 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I have used both the Sideloader app and Downloader to add APK files, but he Freecable app won't download on either. I think it's because the app won't work in Thailand, that's the message I get when I try to add it to my Android tablet. I have a Sony Bravia Android TV.

I'd try running the app on your phone then cast it to the TV. Assuming that app supports casting. I did a quick search but couldn't find anything definitive.

Yes, there are all sorts of challenges re: the "location" of you Google account. My main account is US-Based but I have a few which are Thai-based.

5 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

I'd try running the app on your phone then cast it to the TV. Assuming that app supports casting. I did a quick search but couldn't find anything definitive.

Yes, there are all sorts of challenges re: the "location" of you Google account. My main account is US-Based but I have a few which are Thai-based.

I tried downloading it my Samsung tablet, which also doubles as a phone and it won't download there either. No worries, there are plenty of other things to watch.

1st: Make sure that your tv is androidtv (not a smart tv which is some version of OS for smart tvs which some manufacturers have)

2nd: the app on apkpure is in xapk format, that is why it is asking you to use an app to handle that xapk file.

There is a specific procedure to follow to install an xapk version or you need to install an xapk installer or find an apk version somewhere else for that file.

Apkpure has an app available Here to install such xapk files.

Edited by userabcd
  • Like 2