Update on the availability of nomad visa

I read the cabinet has approved the remote workers visa earning 40K USD with a masters degree. Any update when we can expect to apply for this type of visa? Would like to get one, instead of my yearly tourist visa for three months as it provides more flexibility when I can enter and exit and there is no annoying 90-day reporting. 

Edited by Onerak
  • Haha 2

Do you have at least a minimum of $1 million USD to invest, or

• Work-from-Thailand professional: Foreign workers with employers outside of Thailand, more than five years of working experience and make at least $80,000 over the past two years
  • High-skilled professional: Professionals working in targeted industries such as future services, infrastructure buildings, logistical systems and digital systems who make at least $80,000 over the past two years

........better do some research as it was approved by the cabinet, just awaiting publication.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/32668/cabinet-approves-long-term-10-year-visa-to-attract-foreigners/

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Do you have at least a minimum of $1 million USD to invest, or

According to Bangkok Post (Professionals interested in working remotely from Thailand must prove they have annual income of at least $40,000, a master's degree or higher or rights in intellectual property, and five years of experience in a research field.)

Also the link you posted says

• Work-from-Thailand professional: Foreign workers with employers outside of Thailand, more than five years of working experience and make at least $80,000 over the past two years.

It does not say anything about investment. Of course, I see differences in salary between BP and your links.

It seems the so called "nomad" visa does not require investment. It only requires an MS degree (or five years of experience with stake on an IP like a patent. I have both an MS and patents) and a meagre 40K USD/annual salary. Even if they require 80K USD incomes, I can qualify. 

With 40K USD, I can see a flood of people, working remotely for US companies to move into Thailand. I know scores of top US companies, like MS, Intel, Oracle, Cisco, etc. are already hiring Indians for remote work with a starting salary range of 60-80K.

Edited by Onerak
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Onerak said:

According to Bangkok Post (Professionals interested in working remotely from Thailand must prove they have annual income of at least $40,000, a master's degree or higher or rights in intellectual property, and five years of experience in a research field.)

• Work-from-Thailand professional: Foreign workers with employers outside of Thailand, more than five years of working experience and make at least $80,000 over the past two years.

It does not say anything about investment. Of course, I see differences in salary between BP and your links.

It seems the so called "nomad" visa does not require investment. It only requires an MS degree (or five years of experience with stake on an IP like a patent. I have both an MS and patents) and a meagre 40K USD/annual salary. Even if they require 80K USD incomes, I can qualify. 

With 40K USD, I can see a flood of people, working remotely for US companies to move into Thailand. I know scores of top US companies, like MS, Intel, Oracle, Cisco, etc. are already hiring Indians for remote work with a starting salary range of 60-80K.

Green lighted and approved are two different things.  The visa your talking about is the smart visa and as far as I know the one I showed you is the one they have just approved,  but you can apply for the smart visa if you qualify as well.

https://smart-visa.boi.go.th/smart/

give it a shot and see if it sticks.  Good luck

https://smart-visa.boi.go.th/smart/pages/smart_t.html

for a Digital Nomad

https://smart-visa.boi.go.th/smart/pages/digital.html

Edited by ThailandRyan

I've been working from home since March 2020. My wife is interested in returning to Thailand to live up to 6 months per year starting in 2024. I'm considering making the move with her and this might be a nice vehicle visa-wise to for me to continue working. I've been with my company for over 30 years and make well over the $80,000 required for this program. Hopefully it becomes available in the next 2 years.

• Like 2

I don't quite get it. So let's say someone is self-independent (registered 1 man company) for 10 years in their home country making 100k/year, but they do not have any academic degree. Would they qualify for this visa? What does intellectual property mean? Does having a company qualify as having intellectual property? Am I technically hired by my own company in their definition?

What is the definition of experience in a 'research field'? Also, is having experience in a research field part of the condition when not having a masters degree but own IP?

I don't quite get if this a visa only academics can apply for

14 hours ago, Onerak said:

So these are people moving (or wanting to move) to Thailand, with a contract and paid by a foreing company. I can see the "digital" part, but I don't see how they would be "nomad".

I also don't see what advantage Thailand would have to facilitate their relocation, since their income is generated abroad and they wouldn't be paying taxes here.

9 hours ago, thanaka said:

I don't quite get it. So let's say someone is self-independent (registered 1 man company) for 10 years in their home country making 100k/year, but they do not have any academic degree. Would they qualify for this visa? What does intellectual property mean? Does having a company qualify as having intellectual property? Am I technically hired by my own company in their definition?

What is the definition of experience in a 'research field'? Also, is having experience in a research field part of the condition when not having a masters degree but own IP?

My guess is we have to wait an see. What kind of of credentials they need to verify salary, IP, degress, etc. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, thanaka said:

When I read one of the links, there appears to be different requirements for different people. For example, the requirement which I believe you and would fall under doesn't require a masters degree. 

See this link that @ThailandRyan posted:

https://www.thaienquirer.com/32668/cabinet-approves-long-term-10-year-visa-to-attract-foreigners/

It identifies four different groups that can apply for the long-term visa:

"The four groups that can apply for the visa include:

- Wealthy global citizen: People with a high income of at least US$80,000 in income over the past two years and a minimum asset of $1 million

- Wealthy pensioner: Pensioners, age 50 and above, with a stable pension of at least $80,000 over the past two years

- Work-from-Thailand professional: Foreign workers with employers outside of Thailand, more than five years of working experience and make at least $80,000 over the past two years

- High-skilled professional: Professionals working in targeted industries such as future services, infrastructure buildings, logistical systems and digital systems who make at least $80,000 over the past two years"

1 hour ago, donx said:

When I read one of the links, there appears to be different requirements for different people. For example, the requirement which I believe you and would fall under doesn't require a masters degree. 

Most nomads will fall under category three which BP says a Masters degree or five years of experience. There is a discrepancy in the two News papers reporting as usual showing poor journalistic outputs of Thailand. 

15 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

My pension is well over USD 80K, any ideas on how I can make it look as Digital nomad income?

Apparently, you don't need to. Pensioners are eligible for essentially the same Long Term Residency visa, just as another category.