Thailand needs to reskill its workforce in order to compete, grow

webfact

15 minutes ago, Andycoops said:

To obtain skill you need education which Thailand fails at miserably.

@AndycoopsI personally think that even before education you need to set a positive mindset and the right attitude. I mean, I love thai people, but they are often naive at insane levels.

Maybe I love them just for this very reason, but it's saddening to see how they waste their lives sometimes.

Anyway, a change of mindset requires generations and huge investments by the gov which actually doesn't seem to be so interested in growing self aware people

18 hours ago, RandiRona said:

Make them learn english and technology and not with the discarded waste of teachers from west....Get your own local teacher trained in west on language and science. 

Do you believe that it helps to "upskilling or reskilling of the Thai labour force"?

16 hours ago, tomyami said:

Nah they are to set in there ways best stay stupid 12 hour shifts for 395b bet they eat and sleep 50% of the time, they would be unemployable in the west lazy <deleted>  

14 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

What Thailand needs and what they get are vastly different. 

Importing skilled people is far easier and cheaper than educating their own.

Wondering whether you have ever seen a Thai factory from inside. 

Perhaps some will be surprised that Thai workforce is not only serving in bars and hotels and not only the chaang who comes repair the falang's electric...

Thinking where from are the thousands containers heading to Thai ports on the way to satisfy the hungry customers awaiting their orders at the others side of the world.       

Thailand: Public spending on education, percent of GDP, 1971 - 2019: ... The latest value from 2019 is 2.97 percent. For comparison, the world average in 2019 based on 101 countries is 4.18 percent.

https://www.theglobaleconomy.com/Thailand/Education_spending/#:~:text=Thailand%3A Public spending on education,of GDP%2C 1971 - 2019%3A&text=The latest value from 2019,101 countries is 4.18 percent.

In general, too little budget share and in addition, the money for education seeps into many dark channels.

In the PISA study 2015 Thailand ranks 57th, just behind Albania out of 71 nations. In the study 2018 

Thailand ranks even more worth.

images (1).png

19 hours ago, RandiRona said:

Make them learn english and technology and not with the discarded waste of teachers from west....Get your own local teacher trained in west on language and science. 

Your comment suggesting that teachers from the "West" are a "discarded waste" would carry rather more weight were it not written in what amounts to "Pidgin English".

Leaving that aside, can I ask whether you have ever stood in front of, and tried to teach, a mixed ability class of 3 dozen

12 year olds? Do you know how to prepare a coherent set of lessons to follow a syllabus, do you know how to prepare, plan, rehearse and deliver a lesson, and teach it's subject effectively, not just to the three clever little cuties at the front but to the 8 idle thickies at the back? Could you control such a class? Would you even know where to start?

Or do you obviously know all about it because you went to school 40 years ago?

There is much wrong with the Thai education system. There are undoubtedly some inadequate and ineffective teachers working in that system, both Thai and "Western", but this sort of blanket dismissal and stereotyping of teachers really "grips my bowel movements" as one might say.

Rant over!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

All the Jobs to have been relocated to other Countries due to mainly costs  and lack of skills. In fact, this process is already starting.

Correct.

Even Western Digital (the historical hard drive/storage devices and SSD makers) has closed down it's factories in Thailand and has relocated to nearby Laos.

The invoked reasons were (in no particular order):

- Political instability.

- Thailand floods.

- Wages too high in Thailand.

- Poor skilled workers unable to learn or follow basic procedures.

- Poor Q&A and QoS departments.

So they left.

What they are talking about is no quick fix. It’s a generational & cultural shift within the entire Thai society and educational system. Does this align with the best interests of the Thai elite? Not in the the short or medium term were mushroom management (keep them in the dark and feed them sh!t) maintains the status quo. In the long term they’re shooting themselves in the foot but of course by then they’ll not be of this world. At every level Thailand is in the category of “special needs”. Basically it’s a basket case and the world is simply going to move on without them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

What Thailand needs and what they get are vastly different. 

Importing skilled people is far easier and cheaper than educating their own.

16 hours ago, Highend Expat said:

Same story every year. 

The ruling elites here have no appetite to create a truly skilled, thinking populace. They are instead happy to keep the status quo where they can be obscenely wealthy and have Noi from Issan sell them delicous 'moo ping' for 40 baht. 

The Thai elites are not stupid. They have a better setup than virtually any other wealthy class in the world. 

Education costs money that would then require higher taxes . So yes, i agree , the Thai elite are smart .

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, NanaSomchai said:

Correct.

Even Western Digital (the historical hard drive/storage devices and SSD makers) has closed down it's factories in Thailand and has relocated to nearby Laos.

The invoked reasons were (in no particular order):

- Political instability.

- Thailand floods.

So they left.

Why not to say just: 

Does it say "Thailand is bad"? Why so many factories from West relocated to East?

and:

Will they find it better in Laos?

On 2/23/2022 at 4:52 AM, tomyami said:

they would be unemployable in the west lazy <deleted>  

Can the west exist only with their own "non-lazies"? So, why is the problem with supplying when the sea cargo slowed down and the foreign drivers have left because of the Brexit?   

On 2/23/2022 at 2:12 AM, IAMHERE said:

Why do the power elite care? Thailand runs just fine thank you. Skills mean education and that is dangerous to the status quo. I'd love to see Thailand upgrade its general skill level but the critical thinking involved could cause problems among the general populace.

I thought the plan was to send thousands of unskilled workers to Saudi Arabia now?  Easy....  solved.....

On 2/23/2022 at 4:14 AM, howlee101 said:

Sadly to say, if a "local teacher" actually had language and science training in the west, they would not be teaching for the low salaries given to teachers.

I don't think they need science and language training in the West. Forbes have predicted by 2050, 50% top American companies will be headed by first generation Indian Americans. There are are thousands first generation Indian American VPs waiting to take over. 

Edited by CartagenaWarlock

14 hours ago, Albert Zweistein said:

You're lucky, from what I've seen during my many visits to Thailand since 1967 I am not impressed. Besides I didn't ask if you were working in Thailand because that's your problem.

Working here isn't a problem for me, i make a good living and have nice colleagues.

People judging Thai workers in general while they haven't got a clue is my problem.

Edited by FritsSikkink

I don't know why they think the tech skills are in demand. I've got 17 years of experience as a software engineer and I'm from Australia. Before the pandemic, I had to apply for 80 companies to get even one to respond in comparison to back home where i'd be head hunted by recruiters. It's more that thai companies don't want to hire foreign talent because there is an assumption, it will be too costly. I'm one of the few ones that is OK with being paid less so I can live in Thailand. I usually fund the difference with the savings I've saved up while working in Australia on lucrative offers. I can usually afford 2 years or so as long as they pay the cost of living (Nice apartment in the city, food, transport, bills, internet etc).

15 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Working here isn't a problem for me, i make a good living and have nice colleagues.

People judging Thai workers in general while they haven't got a clue is my problem.

I think during the decades I was travelling around in Thailand I got a pretty good idea about the Thai workmanship. Looking at construction it is cheap and poor and not according to western standard, of course now they can blame the foreign workers for it as Thai men are rare to be found in construction, to hard work.

And when there are 10,000 mainly girls are assembling hard discs at Western Digital ( moving to Laos ) doing the same thing every day they probably are considered as "skilled".

Or girls assembling jewelry at Pandora ( laid off 13,000 out of 20,000 a few years ago ) also very skilled.

I remember Thaivisa reporting about the return on Swampy of a group of skilled berry  pickers from Finland. SKILLED BERRY PICKERS !

I think our perception of what is skilled labour differ to much to come to an agreeable conclusion.

9 hours ago, Albert Zweistein said:

I think during the decades I was travelling around in Thailand I got a pretty good idea about the Thai workmanship. Looking at construction it is cheap and poor and not according to western standard, of course now they can blame the foreign workers for it as Thai men are rare to be found in construction, to hard work.

And when there are 10,000 mainly girls are assembling hard discs at Western Digital ( moving to Laos ) doing the same thing every day they probably are considered as "skilled".

Or girls assembling jewelry at Pandora ( laid off 13,000 out of 20,000 a few years ago ) also very skilled.

I remember Thaivisa reporting about the return on Swampy of a group of skilled berry  pickers from Finland. SKILLED BERRY PICKERS !

I think our perception of what is skilled labour differ to much to come to an agreeable conclusion.

You are talking about people doing jobs on minimum wages, i know loads of people who are professionals in a high skilled jobs. You have no clue. 

14 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

You are talking about people doing jobs on minimum wages, i know loads of people who are professionals in a high skilled jobs. You have no clue. 

I am sure you know loads of people who are professionals in high skilled jobs but the BULK of the workforce in a country are the people doing jobs on minimum wages. They clean the streets, collect the garbage, make it possible to buy your groceries and so on, actually they keep the country going altough being classified as not skilled.

I wonder what clue you have.