Strong indigestion/GERD medicine in Thailand?

Batty

25 minutes ago, Denim said:

Worth getting this diagnosed properly.

About 12 years ago I also suffered with similar symptoms to your wife plus my stools were never solid.

Back in the UK I saw my GP and a sample was left for analysis. A week later I returned but they had lost the sample and so no wiser. No time for a re test as returning to Thailand.

I carried on in such a condition for several months back here at home in Thailand until......

One day I started to feel very unwell, ran a high temperature and could not eat anything or even look at food. After several days went to the local hospital where they did a blood test which showed my count was down. They didn't know why but gave me general anti biotics.

A week later I seriously thought I was dying and had lost so much weight you could see my rib cage. Nights were terrible , sweating profusely and no sleep.

Finally went to the Bangkok Pattaya hospital ( from Bangkok ) since I had friends there who could help my wife in case I died.

Here they repeated all the previous rests and a lot more. Finally they diagnosed Amoebic Liver Abscess, which can be fatal if not correctly treated.

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/000211.htm#:~:text=Amebic liver abscess is caused,the intestines to the liver.

Not that common but is caused by fecal contamination of food ( somebody not washing hands at restaurant kitchen ? )

You can have this stomach parasite for a long time .... a year or more before it causes problems.

It lives on waste matter in the digestive gut. At this stage not dangerous but if it burrows through the intestinal lining and enters the bloodstream it makes directly for your liver and starts eating that. Unless this is now treated your chances of survival are not good.

I was cured with Metronidazole which kills the parasitic bacteria in your bloodstream. However, I was informed that this drug would not kill the bacteria still in my digestive system. Another drug was needed for this which is not on Thailands drug list and is not available here.

Luckily , my ex girlfriend in the UK is now a Matron at pvt hospital and got a doctor to write a prescription for the required drug which my mother then sent out to me.

A close shave as the doctor at the Bangkok Pattaya hospital told me that I had only made it with a week to spare. The alternative would have been dying.

Sorry for the long winded reply and I hope your wifes condition is something less serious. I have only made this reply since many doctors are unfamiliar with this disease and might miss the diagnosis altogether.

My doctor in the UK had never heard of it when I subsequently told her and asked if she could keep the info I had downloaded from the internet.

Good luck....hope you find out what the problem is.

Good god man, what a story. That must have been scary as he11. I mean the notion of choosing Pattaya BKK Hospital because dying there would be more convenient, whilst considerate, is also a massive mind blower.

It makes you realize actually how fragile we all are. Not to be morbid but there are thousands if not tens of thousands of diseases that can creep up out of the blue and end your days. We plod along assuming it will never happen to us, but it can.

Glad you pulled through anyway.

Yes the wife does have an official diagnosis - H Pylori. The biopsy showed it and she has all the symptoms of it, some of which are unique to Pylori. Bloody awful thing to shake, a real battle.

2 minutes ago, Batty said:

Thanks, I didnt know Lazada had tums. We have gaviscon here but Tums are a nice option, ill order some. 

If you are a fully paid up member of the GERD club stuff like Gaviscon doesn't even touch the sides....... all the better if does work for you though!

2 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Had GERD for years before doing anything about.

Finally gave in when I found I couldn't swallow certain foods....rice in particular.

Been on omeprazole for 12 years.......if a I miss a tablet my stomach is on fire within 12 hours........it scares me rigid that one day they might stop working

Dito.... I take Dosate  ( brand name and cheaper than what I was prescribed  ) 20mg once a day in the morning then good until following morning.

I also have our bed raised 2 inches at the head end and sleep with 2 pillows since acid reflux at 2 am from a deep sleep is real torture.

Strangely , tea and beer make things worse whereas coffee and Lao Khao no problem. But then again never have coffee after 3.00 pm anyway.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Denim said:

Dito.... I take Dosate  ( brand name and cheaper than what I was prescribed  ) 20mg once a day in the morning then good until following morning.

I also have our bed raised 2 inches at the head end and sleep with 2 pillows since acid reflux at 2 am from a deep sleep is real torture.

Strangely , tea and beer make things worse whereas coffee and Lao Khao no problem. But then again never have coffee after 3.00 pm anyway.

The killer for me...almost literally.....is blue cheese and wine.

I have a hiatal hernia and the wine/cheese comes back up and slips passed the epiglottis when I'm fast asleep....boy does that wake you up!!!! Can take up to four hours to gently cough it back out.

1 minute ago, Denim said:

Tell me about it. Been there done that.

Oh right!!......stupidly thought I was the only person in the world daft enough to do this to themselves.....555

I still chance the wine and cheese once in a blue moon....can't resist.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Will B Good said:

If you are a fully paid up member of the GERD club stuff like Gaviscon doesn't even touch the sides....... all the better if does work for you though!

This is a new thing for the wife so we are just in trial and error right now with different things. Nothing seems to truly nail the GERD.

For me personally, though Gaviscon helps a little when I get it. Certain foods are murder for me, pastry and biscuits being the biggest. A few weeks ago I had a few biscuits before bedtime and forgot to take a swig of Gaviscon. I woke up a couple of hours later literally being sick out of my nose with some kind of horrible brown bile/acid pouring out. One moment I was fast asleep, the next I was bolt upright gasping for air with acid coming out of my nose. Horrible.

3 hours ago, Batty said:

This is a new thing for the wife so we are just in trial and error right now with different things. Nothing seems to truly nail the GERD.

For me personally, though Gaviscon helps a little when I get it. Certain foods are murder for me, pastry and biscuits being the biggest. A few weeks ago I had a few biscuits before bedtime and forgot to take a swig of Gaviscon. I woke up a couple of hours later literally being sick out of my nose with some kind of horrible brown bile/acid pouring out. One moment I was fast asleep, the next I was bolt upright gasping for air with acid coming out of my nose. Horrible.

at what point will you change your diet? i.e. stop eating fatty food like pastries and biscuits

7 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

at what point will you change your diet? i.e. stop eating fatty food like pastries and biscuits

Lol, love the candor.

I don't need to change my diet - it's fine to be honest. Most days I eat oily fish with couscous, a fruit smoothie and a stew, pretty good if you ask me. I have the occasional few biscuits or slice of cake once or twice a week, no big deal. If I do though, I need to wash it down with a little Gaviscon but on that occasion I forgot ????

On 4/1/2022 at 6:29 AM, Batty said:

That does not sound good.......have you been checked out thoroughly? 

I was at risk of developing Barrett's oesophagus ....a form of pre-cancer from GERD before moving onto PPIs

2 hours ago, Will B Good said:

I was at risk of developing Barrett's oesophagus

Unfortunately I did develop Barrett's oesophagus after a few years of GERD and it was the main reason for me quitting my stressful job and moving to Phuket.

Stress, worry and rushed eating habits all contributed, but with the help of a great Dr in NZ, I was able to overcome it and omeprazole helped, as did triazolam, which reduced my anxiety and also enabled me to get some sleep.

If you have a hiatal hernia, then you will almost always be at risk of GERD, unfortunately, however pleased to see that PPIs have helped you along, as has watching the diet.

I will post this here, despite the fact there may be some scepticism, however this particular capsule worked wonders for me, and when my NZ doctor did my last gastroscopy he was totally surprised to find out that my Barrett's oesophagus had healed/disappeared. So surprised that he took down the name of this capsule and recommended it to a friend whose GERD was proving problematic!

I got onto some capsules called d-limonene, and they can be found on the Internet, and it's also worth doing a bit of background research on it, because others have found a benefit in taking it. I still keep some in the fridge, just in case I get a flareup, which is rare, and I then decide whether to take an omeprazole or d-limonene! Both of which do work for me.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I will post this here, despite the fact there may be some scepticism, however this particular capsule worked wonders for me, and when my NZ doctor did my last gastroscopy he was totally surprised to find out that my Barrett's oesophagus had healed/disappeared. So surprised that he took down the name of this capsule and recommended it to a friend whose GERD was proving problematic!

I got onto some capsules called d-limonene, and they can be found on the Internet, and it's also worth doing a bit of background research on it, because others have found a benefit in taking it. I still keep some in the fridge, just in case I get a flareup, which is rare, and I then decide whether to take an omeprazole or d-limonene! Both of which do work for me.

What brand of D-limonene are you using and where do you get it?  Theo nly form I seem able to locate in Thailand is the kind for use as an inductrial solvent/cleaner, not for consumption. Even iHerb seems not to have it.

10 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I will post this here, despite the fact there may be some scepticism, however this particular capsule worked wonders for me,

It was a good few of years suffering with GERD before I went to the doctor. She asked how often do I get heartburn?......I said three or four times a day like most people.....she was horrified.......NO! Most people never get heartburn.

I was whisked of for biopsies, oesophagus, stomach, duodenum.....all clear though the lower oesophagus was badly inflamed.

Two days after starting on (at that time) pantoprazole the GERD went, totally....what a wonder drug..... for me at least.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

What brand of D-limonene are you using and where do you get it?

I was using Life Extension d-limonene back then, but found it hard to get hold of a little later on, so I bought Jarrow Formula d-limonene, and that's my standby at the moment although sadly it is now out of date!

Just doing a bit of research online and noticed that there is a 1000 mg d-limonene capsule from Wellness Resources which will be my go-to if I need it again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

What brand of D-limonene are you using and where do you get it?  Theo nly form I seem able to locate in Thailand is the kind for use as an inductrial solvent/cleaner, not for consumption. Even iHerb seems not to have it.

Sorry Sheryl, should have added the website for D-limonene:-

https://www.wellnessresources.com/supplements/d-limonene

Just wanted to thank everyone for the replies on this. Its bloody brilliant when you think about it, how complete strangers are willing to take time out of there day and offer a little help and opinion. Nice one.

The mrs is battling on. We have switched to natural remedies only for a few weeks because the antibiotics messed her up big time, she had nothing in the tank. We have thrown the kitchen sink at this with mastic gum, manuka honey, top-grade probiotics, imported figs soaked in olive oil, NAC, oregano oil, broccoli sprouts, probably a couple of other bits I cant remember, all carefuly times so nothing clashes. The only pharmaceutical thing she takes is a PPI. She has her energy back and does still have a stomach ache and gas, bloating, burping etc but it's better than it was.

I dunno. Its a swine of a thing to shift man. I suppose eventually she is gonna have to get on the old quadruple therapy.

Its mad how you skate through life without a worry in the world and then boom, middle-age hits, and all these crappy afflictions and illnesses start having a pop at you. One thing after another. 

Thanks again for all the help anyway, brilliant forum this is.

Cheers 

I was taking Omeprazole until it stopped working. A pharmacist in a well known Pharmacy in Pattaya Tai, they have branches all round Pattaya, suggested Miracid. This has worked perfectly for me and  couple of friends who also have tried it. If I am allowed to name the Pharmacy I will.

5 minutes ago, pattaya1234was said:

I was taking Omeprazole until it stopped working. A pharmacist in a well known Pharmacy in Pattaya Tai, they have branches all round Pattaya, suggested Miracid. This has worked perfectly for me and  couple of friends who also have tried it. If I am allowed to name the Pharmacy I will.

Miracid is omeprazole 20mg. Miracid is just a generic brand. 

52 minutes ago, pattaya1234was said:

why wouldn't you be allowed?

3 hours ago, pattaya1234was said:

did you check Miracid composition compared to Omeprazole  555

Things you should know 

• Omeprazole is a drug that inhibits acid secretion. The oral form contains 20 mg of omeprazole. Examples of brands that are available in Thailand include Miracid, Nocid, Ocid, Omeprazole GPO, or Omezole.

https://hd.co.th/omeprazole

• Like 1

On 3/31/2022 at 12:38 PM, Batty said:

We have some pretty good quality pro-biotics, mastic gum, manuka honey, stomach enzymes, vits B and D, magnesium, oregano oil, flazseed tea, figs soaked in olive oil.... The plan is to use these alternative treatments over the next few weeks before starting quad therapy. It will hopefully restore her gut health a little, boost energy (the antibiotics have ruined her) and fight the pylori before jumping back on the nasty meds.

Do some research online on "Berberine". Might be for her, might not.....but no harm in doing a bit of research about it. It has many benefits. If you're using oregano oil then berberine might be one to consider too. Good luck!

Also, just thinking outside the box here, has she been tested for "SIBO"?

Edited by mstevens

• 1 month later...

I have had GERD for a long time and my regime is

Moltium M

Miracid

Gasmotin 

All of the above before breakfast

Dexilent 30mg

I used to take  Gaviscon  before bed but don't need it now.

However, the past 3 weeks I have been on a "Keto fasting diet "and over the last week I have not suffered with my GERD nearly as bad.

Could this be down to the fact that I don't eat any carbs or sugar and am eating a high fat diet but much less food overall?

Can't claim it to be anything more than it is, but strange how my health has improved in this area by going on this diet

15 minutes ago, ThaiPauly said:

I have had GERD for a long time and my regime is

Moltium M

Miracid

Gasmotin 

All of the above before breakfast

Dexilent 30mg

I used to take  Gaviscon  before bed but don't need it now.

However, the past 3 weeks I have been on a "Keto fasting diet "and over the last week I have not suffered with my GERD nearly as bad.

Could this be down to the fact that I don't eat any carbs or sugar and am eating a high fat diet but much less food overall?

Can't claim it to be anything more than it is, but strange how my health has improved in this area by going on this diet

what happens if you fast in the same way but not keto? When I eat fatty foods like just now, English Breakfast, my stomach tells me it's hard work to digest