Assault on Kiev: Russian helicopters swoop above Ukraine's capital

Chris.B

On 5/29/2022 at 11:34 AM, Bkk Brian said:

This is the most heroic action footage I've seen so far from the Ukraine front lines (although I'm sure there are also many others not captured on footage), an updated video just uploaded to youtube on the clash at Kharkiv woods with ex Royal Marine commandos and other members of the Ukrainian International Legion.

This shows the lead up where they are under heavy fire and taking serious casualties, despite this they carry on to ambush and destroy the Russian tank.

Ben Grant: "I was terrified but driven to complete my most important goal, which at the time was getting him and my team members out of the danger"

This incident in the news again, this time from the Russian side. Well done Ben and the rest of the team!!

Russia says commander killed in clash involving son of UK MP

Russia's National Guard says one of its brigade commanders has been killed in a battle against pro-Ukrainian forces in Donbas.

In a rare admission of a casualty sustained in fighting in Ukraine, it said the clash involved Ben Grant, the son of Helen Grant, the Conservative MP for Maidstone and The Weald.

Footage made using a GoPro camera showed the attack and a fighter from the group of mercenaries - the son of a British MP - Ben Grant."

source BBC

• Like 1

Pride Month????️‍???? is why this was posted, relief from the of war.

Ukrainian LGBTQ soldiers started wearing the unicorn insignia after Russia's 2014 annexation of Crimea

LGBTQ Ukrainian soldiers take to wearing unicorn patch on uniforms

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-06-02/lgbtg-ukrainian-soldiers-unicorn-patches-russian-invasion/101119450?utm_campaign=abc_news_web&utm_content=mail&utm_medium=content_shared&utm_source=abc_news_web

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 6/2/2022 at 8:00 AM, rudi49jr said:

Denmark has voted in a historic referendum to take part in EU security policy, scrapping its 30-year opt-out.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-61644663

Another clear sign that Russia shot itself in the foot, and that Putin is getting the exact opposite of what he had hoped for.  First Sweden and Finland, now Denmark. 

Denmark have been an Nato allied since 1949, Finland and Sweeden is not, but  member of the EU defense alliance, which Denmark have not taken part of before now, or voted to join. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

This incident in the news again, this time from the Russian side. Well done Ben and the rest of the team!!

Russia's National Guard says one of its brigade commanders has been killed in a battle against pro-Ukrainian forces in Donbas.

In a rare admission of a casualty sustained in fighting in Ukraine, it said the clash involved Ben Grant, the son of Helen Grant, the Conservative MP for Maidstone and The Weald.

Footage made using a GoPro camera showed the attack and a fighter from the group of mercenaries - the son of a British MP - Ben Grant."

source BBC

Your source names Sergeant Adam Bisultanov as being killed. How can a Sergeant be a brigade commander? ????

22 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Pride Month ????️‍????is why this was posted, relief from the of war.

Ukrainian LGBTQ soldiers started wearing the unicorn insignia after Russia's 2014 annexation of Crimea

LGBTQ Ukrainian soldiers take to wearing unicorn patch on uniforms

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-06-02/lgbtg-ukrainian-soldiers-unicorn-patches-russian-invasion/101119450?utm_campaign=abc_news_web&utm_content=mail&utm_medium=content_shared&utm_source=abc_news_web

Can't imagine the Russian army allowing that with their racist and homophobic views. Well done to them, from your link:

"There was much back-slapping as they joined their new unit at Kyiv's central train station to head off for a second three-month stint. 

Mr Zhuhan's unease later lifted as one commander made clear his refusal to tolerate homophobia.

A more senior officer said the only important thing on the front line was to be a good fighter"

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Attrition among other officers leading to a battlefield promotion?

That kind of thing is hardly unheard of in an ongoing conflict.

Errr.... I don't think so. ???? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chris.B said:

Your source names Sergeant Adam Bisultanov as being killed. How can a Sergeant be a brigade commander? ????

the mystery can be easily solved - at no point the BBC article says that the brigade commander and Adam Bisultanov are the same person.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

I took away an entirely different message from that article. One of bravery and heroic actions by foreign fighters in very difficult conditions but still carrying on. One that even the Russian authorities noted. The ranks of people was not really something I dwelled on.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, coolcarer said:

I took away an entirely different message from that article. One of bravery and heroic actions by foreign fighters in very difficult conditions but still carrying on. One that even the Russian authorities noted. The ranks of people was not really something I dwelled on.

Maybe not all of us are so gullible to believe everything we read.  ????

• Like 1

6 hours ago, coolcarer said:

Gullible, that’s a bit strong. This was not some tabloid piece. It was an article from the BBC that also had the link to the actual video of the event from the Daily Telegraph. The identity of one of the UK soldiers was revealed along with his mother who just happens to be a British M.P. The incident was confirmed by Russia. The soldiers on the ground filmed it along with a drone, the vid now available widely on YouTube as well. 

although my post to you was nothing to do with its authenticity, if you read it, it was about my take away message from it. Anyway that’s already been relayed so to avoid bickering I’ll leave it there.

When a poster uses an emoji instead of words as a rebuttal, you know you've got them. You nailed ChrisB's comment perfectly.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 6/2/2022 at 5:51 PM, Bkk Brian said:

source BBC

New updated OP on the Ukraine war covering the first 100 days, the possible genocide of the deportation of Ukraine children to Russia and an update on the incident above that involved Ben Grant and US volunteer soldiers:

"Russia’s Investigative Committee announced this week that it was investigating Grant for his role “leading” the ambush. “He will have to run for the rest of his life,” Komsomolskaya Pravda wrote of Grant, noting that Bisultanov had been born in Chechnya, “where the principle of blood feud or vendetta is not empty words.”"

"Russia’s National Guard says Sgt. Adam Bisultanov, the commander of a separate operational brigade of the North Caucasus District of the National Guard, was killed in the “attack” on Russian forces by the “group of mercenaries from Great Britain and the U.S.”

15 hours ago, Chris.B said:

Why not? The number of different sources reporting it make it look pretty definitive.

As a number of links in subsequent posts show, even official Russian sources such as Komsomolskaya Pravda and a Russian National Guard statement, say that Sgt. Adam Bisultanov was indeed "the commander of a separate operational brigade."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Why not? The number of different sources reporting it make it look pretty definitive.

As a number of links in subsequent posts show, even official Russian sources such as Komsomolskaya Pravda and a Russian National Guard statement, say that Sgt. Adam Bisultanov was indeed "the commander of a separate operational brigade."

Indeed and they also say he is a Chechen. The Russians attacked were Rosgvardiya and the vehicle blown up was an armoured troop carrier not a tank. 

Additional information is Sgt. Adam Bisultanov was under contract to the Rosgvardiya.

Edited by Chris.B

Russia-Ukraine war: what we know on day 101 of the invasion

Ukrainian forces have recaptured around 20% of the territory they lost in Sievierodonetsk since Russia’s invasion, according to Ukrainian officials. “Whereas before the situation was difficult, the percentage [held by Russia] was somewhere around 70%, now we have already pushed them back by approximately 20%,” Serhiy Gaidai, the head of the eastern region of Luhansk, announced on national television on Friday.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jun/04/russia-ukraine-war-what-we-know-on-day-101-of-the-invasion

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Russia-Ukraine war: what we know on day 101 of the invasion

Ukrainian forces have recaptured around 20% of the territory they lost in Sievierodonetsk since Russia’s invasion, according to Ukrainian officials. “Whereas before the situation was difficult, the percentage [held by Russia] was somewhere around 70%, now we have already pushed them back by approximately 20%,” Serhiy Gaidai, the head of the eastern region of Luhansk, announced on national television on Friday.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jun/04/russia-ukraine-war-what-we-know-on-day-101-of-the-invasion

This report makes no sense! "Whereas before the situation was difficult"? is a half finished statement.

Also, why waste resources hitting the Russians head on? Why don't they hit the Russian supply lines and starve them of fuel, weapons and food?

1 minute ago, Chris.B said:

This report makes no sense! "Whereas before the situation was difficult"? is a half finished statement.

Also, why waste resources hitting the Russians head on? Why don't they hit the Russian supply lines and starve them of fuel, weapons and food?

The reports I post never make sense to you so I was expecting that, more on it here if you follow the link from the report:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2022/jun/03/russia-ukraine-war-latest-moscow-now-controls-a-fifth-of-ukrainian-territory-zelenskiy-live?page=with:block-629a5e568f084d9060b746ba#block-629a5e568f084d9060b746ba

• Confused 1

Some bickering posts and flames have been removed, I have said it before, there is no room on here for bickering and scoring points off another member so stop it!!

Also please note shortened links are not permitted on the forum.

Looks like another slow down on the Russias offense

ISW: Russia likely not able to ‘accelerate’ its ‘special military operation,’ despite its claims.

The U.S. think tank said, contrary to Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu’s claims, it is unlikely that Russia will have the manpower and equipment to advance beyond Luhansk.

https://twitter.com/kyivindependent/status/1532915850411376640?s=21&t=BKqdvhvf85k2CnPncagY3A

Indepth report on the Situation on all fronts:

https://understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-june-3

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, coolcarer said:

Looks like another slow down on the Russias offense

ISW: Russia likely not able to ‘accelerate’ its ‘special military operation,’ despite its claims.

The U.S. think tank said, contrary to Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu’s claims, it is unlikely that Russia will have the manpower and equipment to advance beyond Luhansk.

https://twitter.com/kyivindependent/status/1532915850411376640?s=21&t=BKqdvhvf85k2CnPncagY3A

Your Twitter post makes no sense. The Russians are already well past Luhansk as they are in Mariupol. ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

Your Twitter post makes no sense. The Russians are already well past Luhansk as they are in Mariupol. ????

Did you read the ISW report that was also in my post. The twitter post was based from the information from there.

“The UK Defense Ministry further noted that Russian forces on all other axes have gone over to defensive operations to concentrate all available forces in Severodonetsk, and stated Russia will need to commit sizable investment of manpower and equipment—that it will be unable to generate quickly, if at all—to advance beyond Luhansk Oblast.”

• Like 1

Severodonetsk is indeed mostly under Russian but the battles not over just yet with volunteers of Ukrainian Foreign Legion having arrived to Sievirodonetsk to support Ukrainian troops in the city.  Serhiy Haidai, the head of the Luhansk Regional Military Administration is very good in his updates.

This from him a few hours ago:

"The situation remains difficult in the region as a whole, and hostilities are now focused on Siverodonetsk as the Russian army is throwing all its forces, all its reserves in this area. They had previously managed to capture most of the city, but now our forces have moved them back as the enemy is really suffering huge losses," said the head of the region.