Assault on Kiev: Russian helicopters swoop above Ukraine's capital

Chris.B

10 minutes ago, placeholder said:

What you failed to mention is that Russia is denying the IEAE access to inspect the plants. Are the Wall St. Journal and Reuters mainstream enough for you?

I did not failed to mention anything about denied access by Russians, I would not know that. The source you provided (Reuters) has failed to mention it either:

VIENNA, June 6 (Reuters) - The U.N. nuclear watchdog is working on sending an international mission of experts to the Russian-held nuclear power plant at Zaporizhzhia in Ukraine, Europe's largest, its chief Rafael Grossi said on Monday.

International Atomic Energy Agency chief Grossi has for months said that the situation at Zaporizhzhia, where Ukrainian staff are working under Russian orders, poses a safety risk and said he wants to lead a mission there.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Saanim said:

I did not failed to mention anything about denied access by Russians, I would not know that. The source you provided (Reuters) has failed to mention it either:

VIENNA, June 6 (Reuters) - The U.N. nuclear watchdog is working on sending an international mission of experts to the Russian-held nuclear power plant at Zaporizhzhia in Ukraine, Europe's largest, its chief Rafael Grossi said on Monday.

International Atomic Energy Agency chief Grossi has for months said that the situation at Zaporizhzhia, where Ukrainian staff are working under Russian orders, poses a safety risk and said he wants to lead a mission there.

Sure. He's said for months that he wants to lead a mission there and it hasn't yet happened. How disingenuous are you?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Saanim said:

Actually, there are only 4 nuclear power plants in Ukraine. And the biggest one, in Zaporizhzhia, currently under Russian control, was of a serious concern of Mr. Grossi,  the boss of IAEA.   After it was found that the UKR had stored there a huge stock o plutonium and enriched uranium - and he was reminded in Davos - he declared that he will go to see it there what's that about.

Since that it has not been much reported about that visiting - or did I miss it? But as usually, what's not reported by MSM, it has not happened, has it?

do you have any link to support such a statement, I guess not or you would have posted it as for the rest of your post it's misleading as well, kindly refer to @placeholder and @Bkk Brianposts and get updated

Edited by Mavideol
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mavideol said:

do you have any link to support such a statement, I guess not or you would have posted it as for the rest of your post it's misleading as well, kindly refer to @placeholder and @Bkk Brianposts and get updated

I do not know what's your comment about. Did my remark say something different than Bkk Brian placed above (Mr. Grossi added ...)?

Anyway, I have reacted on the remark that the IAEA access was denied by Russians. I did not find any link to such statement, did you? 

But the problem is that the information flow is not always fully available. That's why recently Noam Chomsky remarked that the censorship has reached a level beyond anything in his lifetime. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Saanim said:

I do not know what's your comment about. Did my remark say something different than Bkk Brian placed above (Mr. Grossi added ...)?

Anyway, I have reacted on the remark that the IAEA access was denied by Russians. I did not find any link to such statement, did you? 

But the problem is that the information flow is not always fully available. That's why recently Noam Chomsky remarked that the censorship has reached a level beyond anything in his lifetime. 

as I said, your post was misleading and not worth any further comment from my side, feel free to refer to the above posts whereby you will find more then enough evidence to contradict you

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Unsubstantiated claim with no link. Pure false Russian propoganda

Yeh, that's the problem when we get just only one side of the stories. How do you recognize what's propaganda and what's the truth? Just curious...

From the last years wars have you read only the truth?

Anyway, do you have any info about the recent shelling from the only one correct information side? 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Saanim said:

Here is one fresh link, but perhaps "unsubstantial":

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/europe/iaea-watchdog-says-it-must-visit-russia-occupied-nuclear-plant-in-ukraine

VIENNA (AFP) - The UN's nuclear watchdog said on Thursday (June 9) it was planning to visit the Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant, in a Russian-occupied part of Ukraine, despite opposition from Kyiv.

"This mission is not a matter of wanting or wishing, it is an obligation on the side of Ukraine and on the side of the IAEA," said the director-general of the UN body, Rafael Grossi, ahead of a board meeting of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) in Vienna this week.

---

Grossi said in his statement that he was very concerned at "the extremely stressful and challenging working conditions under which Ukrainian management and staff are operating the plant".

"This is why IAEA safety and security experts must go" to the site," he insisted, adding that he was "actively working" to organise an IAEA-led international mission to the Zaporizhzhia plant to carry out essential safety work, However officials in Kyiv on Thursday reiterated opposition to such a visit.

By visiting the site, the IAEA would only "legitimise the occupation of the power plant caused by the presence of nuclear terrorists", Ukraine's .nuclear agency Energoatom said on Telegram.

"In what way the IAEA mission can get to the power plant is still unknown. Nobody from Ukraine invited them there," Energoatom added in its statement. "Are they going to come... through Russia and then Crimea or other temporarily occupied Ukrainian territories under the protection of the Russian military without the will of Ukraine?!" it added.

Such a visit would only be possible once Ukraine had regained control of the site, the nuclear operator insisted, citing the example of Chernobyl which the IAEA visited at the end of April, only after the withdrawal of Russian soldiers.

Or you could go direct to the source with the latest update on the 24th June direct from IAEA which I posted yesterday for you.

Update 82 – IAEA Director General Statement on Situation in Ukraine

https://www.iaea.org/newscenter/pressreleases/update-82-iaea-director-general-statement-on-situation-in-ukraine

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A post has been removed:

27. You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Only post a link, the headline and three sentences from the article.

2 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Are you trying to imply that the US wants to provoke a nuclear war?

No but I wouldn't put it passed the USA to see if Russia can be push far enough to use a tactical nuclear weapon in Ukraine and not to care and be viewed as an experiment at no cost to anybody else's lives other than Ukrainians.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

LOL, you do love to cast the US as the villains and war mongers in this unprovoked illegal invasion by Russia.

So if Russia uses a tactical nuclear warhead killing hundreds if not thousands in Ukraine then it would be the fault of the US's deliberate experiment due to their lack of care for the lives of Ukrainians. 

Honestly you really do live in an alternate reality

My reality is only that I see the reality of maybe where the war is heading and that is one of concern.

Obviously not yours.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

My reality is only that I see the reality of maybe where the war is heading and that is one of concern.

Obviously not yours.

Yeah, I’ve noticed that your reality and the real reality are light years apart. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Now Iran is getting involved on supplying armed drones to Russia things are just esculating.

I think best just to monitor the war situation and not comment anymore, people here can't see the wood for the trees and are able to deal with criticizing opinions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

LOL, you do love to cast the US as the villains and war mongers in this unprovoked illegal invasion by Russia.

That's strange when we hear so often about unprovoked invasion, war.  In the recent interview of Noam Chomsky - I mentioned above - he spoke about occurrence of the word "unprovoked", that it jumps up in a great number when googled, something he did not see at the wars before. 

One does not have to agree with all his statements, however, it's amazing and astonishing how he - at his age - can formulate the flow of his speech corroborated by facts and events, without apparent help of a paper (or a teleprompter), in a very impassive diction. That cannot always be said about his interviewer, e.g. Owen Jones... 

• Like 1