Assault on Kiev: Russian helicopters swoop above Ukraine's capital

Chris.B

Murderers

AFP: #BREAKING British citizen Paul Urey captured by separatists in Donetsk dies in detention: official

Briton detained by Russian-backed separatists dies - TASS

July 15 (Reuters) - A British aid worker who was detained by Russian-backed separatists in Ukraine and accused of being a mercenary has died, Russian state news agency TASS reported on Friday.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/briton-detained-by-russian-backed-separatists-dies-tass-2022-07-15/

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Murderers

AFP: #BREAKING British citizen Paul Urey captured by separatists in Donetsk dies in detention: official

Briton detained by Russian-backed separatists dies - TASS

July 15 (Reuters) - A British aid worker who was detained by Russian-backed separatists in Ukraine and accused of being a mercenary has died, Russian state news agency TASS reported on Friday.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/briton-detained-by-russian-backed-separatists-dies-tass-2022-07-15/

Wonder how the Russians are going to spin this. But judging by the deluge of filth and lies they have been spewing so far, I’m sure they will come up with “an explanation”. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

Wonder how the Russians are going to spin this. But judging by the deluge of filth and lies they have been spewing so far, I’m sure they will come up with “an explanation”. 

Officials from the DPR, who were holding Mr Urey, said he died in captivity on 10 July from underlying health conditions and "stress".

Maybe they took his insulin away from him?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-62178505

35 minutes ago, RupertIII said:

Officials from the DPR, who were holding Mr Urey, said he died in captivity on 10 July from underlying health conditions and "stress".

Maybe they took his insulin away from him?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-62178505

I would be “stressed” as well, if I were beaten/tortured on a daily basis. The Russians probably won’t allow an autopsy, and they won’t release the body to his relatives either, I imagine.

OCSE sounds alarm on Russian filtration centers in Ukraine.

“There are reports indicating that people are subject to harsh interrogations and humiliating body searches in such centres,” said the 115-page report seen by AFP, calling the setting up of such centres an “alarming” development.

It added those found to have collaborated with Kyiv “often simply disappear” with some being allegedly transferred to Russian controlled territories, where they are detained or even murdered.

https://www.euractiv.com/section/global-europe/news/osce-sounds-alarm-on-russian-filtration-centres-in-ukraine/

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jvs said:

I have been watching and reading a lot about what Russia is getting away with at the moment.

It is just horrible and they think this will go unpunished,  of course it will not.

Putin is just holding the world at bay by threatening to use nuclear power.

When is the world going to wake up and call his bluff? Tell him and his army to go <deleted> themselves and go home to Russia!

I know what could happen but is this really how far he wants to go?

Nato could run him out of Ukraine in a day or two, according to Kasparov.

And i believe that also,

The Cuban Missile Crisis comes to mind.

Putin will not stop until he sees the rest of the world will no longer tolerate

this kind of behaviour.

The question is who in power is going to be the first to suggest to give him a real

ultimatum and risk escalation with nuclear weapons?

In the end i truly believe it will come down to this,call his bluff.

Am i really so far off?

the whole world prefers the slow scenario without direct confrontation where Ukraine is helped but does all the hard work by itself. So if Putin does anything nuclear-evil, the escalation will clearly be the Ruzzians' fault and we will have the political capital to impose military measures on Ruzzia.

8 minutes ago, tgw said:

the whole world prefers the slow scenario without direct confrontation where Ukraine is helped but does all the hard work by itself. So if Putin does anything nuclear-evil, the escalation will clearly be the Ruzzians' fault and we will have the political capital to impose military measures on Ruzzia.

I can see your reasoning and i think you are right so in case it all goes boom Putin

can be blamed but in that scenario does it really matter?

Imo he is just a bully with a big stick and he needs to be beaten by a bigger stick.

I mentioned awhile back that The Ukraine and its people are fighting for all of us and that the rest of Europe maybe prefers it that way.But is that ethically right?

Edited by jvs
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, jvs said:

I can see your reasoning and i think you are right so in case it all goes boom Putin

can be blamed but in that scenario does it really matter?

Imo he is just a bully with a big stick and he needs to be beaten by a bigger stick.

I mentioned awhile back that The Ukraine and its people are fighting for all of us and that the rest of Europe maybe prefers it that way.But is that ethically right?

the thing is, if Putin takes such a stupid decision, it's not likely to all go boom, since Ukraine doesn't have nuclear weapons. what's likely to happen is a UN-backed conventional "sideways escalation" where Ruzzia is pushed back within its borders and given an ultimatum to remain within or else.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

CNN cable TV are reporting that 70% of Russian military attacks on Ukraine are against civilian targets. This is not a military campaign, it's a war crimes campaign. It's time a "coalition of the willing" decided to move to stop Russia from waging this war. Destroying our own economies and allowing millions to starve doesn't make sense now in favour of taking on Russia militarily. Waiting for Ukraine to get it done will be too little too late. Russia can continue to wage a war of attrition and blockade shipping as long as it likes. The more it does so, the more money it makes from it's own exports.  The west is going to get sick of this real soon.

agree but a better word by Russia's actions would be genocide and that's a war crime

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Plan To Train Ukrainian Pilots On U.S. Jets Passed By House Of Representatives

he U.S. House of Representatives has passed its version of the 2023 National Defense Authorization Act, which, most notably, calls for funding to start training Ukrainian pilots on American fighter jets. The amendment follows repeated calls from Ukrainian officials and pilots for new aircraft, such as F-16s, with which to continue their efforts to repulse the Russian invasion.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/plan-to-train-ukrainian-pilots-on-u-s-jets-passed-by-house-of-representatives

great news, yet I guess it will be vetoed by the executive.

17 hours ago, ozimoron said:

CNN cable TV are reporting that 70% of Russian military attacks on Ukraine are against civilian targets.

How the Ukrainians master that they never attack civilian targets, never any civilian casualties. Or did I miss something? 

39 minutes ago, Saanim said:

How the Ukrainians master that they never attack civilian targets, never any civilian casualties. Or did I miss something? 

Yes you missed something, it would be a frigging miracle if Ukraine had not caused some collateral damage when targeting the illegal invaders including unfortunately a few of their own civilian casualties.

Quite different from what Russia's "Ruler" is doing.

Ukraine says nearly 70% of Russian missile strikes target civilian objects

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Inadvertent attacks are one thing. Targeted attacks on civilans quite another.

6 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Yes you missed something, it would be a frigging miracle if Ukraine had not caused some collateral damage when targeting the illegal invaders including unfortunately a few of their own civilian casualties.

Quite different from what Russia's "Ruler" is doing.

Ukraine says nearly 70% of Russian missile strikes target civilian objects

But that's what I have been missing:  reports, figures about such casualties, whether inadvertent or unfortunate collateral damage...   

• Sad 2

Just now, Saanim said:

But that's what I have been missing:  reports, figures about such casualties, whether inadvertent or unfortunate collateral damage...   

Use a little logic, its impossible for Ukraine to confirm civilian casualties if any when they happen in Russian controlled territory. Although I'm sure you've been keeping yourself up to date on the Russian propaganda RT, Sputnik and telegram channels.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Use a little logic, its impossible for Ukraine to confirm civilian casualties if any when they happen in Russian controlled territory. Although I'm sure you've been keeping yourself up to date on the Russian propaganda RT, Sputnik and telegram channels.

The civilian casualties in Russian controlled territory? It's still Ukraine territory, isn't it? 

And the casualties had been reported over the last 8 years by OSCE Ukraine Monitoring Mission (not really a "Russian propaganda") up to their very last reports in February 2022, unless they were ordered out of the country. 

The reports about their early years after 2014  (not really pleasant) were reported even in Western media, not so much in the later years.   

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

2 minutes ago, Saanim said:

The civilian casualties in Russian controlled territory? It's still Ukraine territory, isn't it?   

Stop the baiting nonsense, its Ukraine territory that is temporarily in control of Russian murderers, as for your further deflection on the OSCE we've been through that countless times and you know well that Russia refuses to attend their meetings which are damning on the war crimes committed by Russia in this invasion.

"Today’s Moscow Mechanism report gives us an opportunity to pull back and document the unconscionable atrocity crimes, human rights violations, and abuses members of Russia’s forces have committed since Russia launched its brutal full-scale invasion in February of this year"

https://osce.usmission.gov/response-to-moscow-mechanism-report-on-ukraine/

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Saanim said:

The reports about their early years after 2014  (not really pleasant) were reported even in Western media, not so much in the later years.   

Are you implying that the OCSE mostly criticized the Ukraining govt? How to justify the fact that the Russians restricted OCSE monitoring to just 2 checkpoints on the Russian side of a border that extends for 100's of miles?

Under Fire In Ukraine, OSCE Questions Its Worth

OSCE official Ilkka Kanerva, speaking November 13 in Vienna, complained the organization had seen its capabilities hamstrung since launching a monitoring mission in July along the Russian side of the border. The mission is allowed to supervise just two checkpoints, the Gukovo and Donetsk border crossings, despite the fact that the separatist-held frontier stretches hundreds of miles.

"Let's be honest -- the mission is restricted to report only what it sees pass through the official crossing along the tiniest strip of the border," said Kanerva, a Finnish lawmaker who heads the OSCE's Parliamentary Assembly.

https://www.rferl.org/a/ukraine-crisis-russia-osce-monitoring-mission/26690263.html

• Like 1