Drivers license, how do you change passport number and address?

pattjock

I still have 4 years left on my drivers license but have a new passport and address, both different from the info on the license. How do I change this at the LTD in Pattaya.

If anyone have done this recently I would appreciate if you could let me know what documents are needed.

My guess would be original drivers license

Passport and copy

Proof of address, from Immigration or is yellow book accepted?

Medical?

Can you send someone to do it or do you have to be there in person for a photo?

Any advice appreciated

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Different than UK where you can get fined up to £1000 for incorrect address on your licence. It is regarded as a legitimate form of ID.

Same in Thailand, the info on the drivers license must be correct. I've done it before, many years ago, but would like to have recent information.

7 hours ago, pattjock said:

My guess would be original drivers license

Passport and copy

Proof of address, from Immigration or is yellow book accepted?

Medical?

Can you send someone to do it or do you have to be there in person for a photo?

Any advice appreciated

I did this a year before Covid. I think your list is ok but I don't remember needing a medical certificate.

Generally Pattaya DLT have not accepted yellow book so Certificate of Residence would be needed. Best way is to go up to the DLT and ask. There is also a small charge of 100 baht or similar. 

I did it last year. Obviously new passport and Certificate Of Residency from immigration. If renewing car and bike at same time they accepted original and a copy for the other. I don't know about yellow book as I never have had one.

You need to go yourself as they take new photo. Can't remember how much but cheap, something like 50 baht each motorbike and car.

If you have the phone app you will new to do it again with new passport number.

BTW: This was at Chiang Mai DLT so could be different elsewhere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jaybott said:

Just a heads-up.  I recently renewed my DL and I also renewed my passport over a year ago.  They wanted to see my old passport to verify the number on my old DL. The guy was adamant about it.  I was fortunate that I found a copy of the old PP in an old email.  So bring your old PP or copy of it when you renew.

I took my old one but wasn't asked for it.

They just don't trust each other do they? Immigration put 6 stamps and took up 2 pages in new passport with main info including old PP number.

• Like 1

Your time is your own but not worth the time unless you have so much?  Like one poster said 4 years just go on with your day no one checks in 4 years when you do you will find out no one is going to ask.  

How I know?   I went to DLT told them I moved etc. Guy looked at me as I was stupid!????

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JimHuaHin said:

I tried this 3 years ago, when I received a new passport, and 2 years ago, when I changed address; both times I was told by the staff "no need to change licence." TIT.

Same for me here in Khon Kaen. I was told there was no requirement to change it and it was up to me. They said just change it when you have to renew license. 

5 hours ago, Dazinoz said:

Obviously new passport and Certificate Of Residency from immigration.

Yes indeed, but pre - COVID-19 when I renewed my license with updated information, I first had to go to the local DLT to get a letter from them requesting the Certificate of Residency. Without that letter, the Immigration Office in Khon Kaen would not issue a certificate. What the rules are today, I have no idea.

I've never changed details until I renewed my licence and then there was never any problem. My (new) address was on my work permit and that has been enough. I've had that many passport numbers in 20 years, it never seems a problem.

I sometimes wonder about getting speeding fines in the post as the Thai system doesn't seem to keep up with that sort of thing.

18 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Yes indeed, but pre - COVID-19 when I renewed my license with updated information, I first had to go to the local DLT to get a letter from them requesting the Certificate of Residency. Without that letter, the Immigration Office in Khon Kaen would not issue a certificate. What the rules are today, I have no idea.

Yeah, Pattaya put me through that when I wanted to get a tax number.... Soi 5 wanted a letter from the tax office requesting a COR for that purpose..... the tax office were not prepared to issue this and I was pixxed around from pillar to post between these two offices which are about 10km apart. 

• Sad 1

Thanks all for the info, I have now changed the passport number and address on my drivers license here in Pattaya.

Documents used:

Passport and one copy.

Drivers license and one copy

Yellow book and one copy

Pink ID card and one copy

If you have both car and MC license you need one copy for each.

If you don't have Yellow book and pink ID card you need to get Certificate of residence from Immigration.

If you use the pink ID card they will put that number on your drivers license, not the passport number, so you will not have to change again every time you change passport.

The process took about 45 minutes and costed about 100Baht.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2022 at 2:10 PM, pattjock said:

Thanks all for the info, I have now changed the passport number and address on my drivers license here in Pattaya.

Documents used:

Passport and one copy.

Drivers license and one copy

Yellow book and one copy

Pink ID card and one copy

If you have both car and MC license you need one copy for each.

If you don't have Yellow book and pink ID card you need to get Certificate of residence from Immigration.

If you use the pink ID card they will put that number on your drivers license, not the passport number, so you will not have to change again every time you change passport.

The process took about 45 minutes and costed about 100Baht.

Did you change passport number and adress on your blue book's car and your green book's motorbike at the same time ?

Handiest thing about having correct address is you can use as proof of where you live ( for some things you do ).

Many many Thais paperwork are a mess - car and bike books + licenses / tabien baan / chanotes etc all with completely different names, it's something they don't seem to care about.