My main gripe with Thailand. Why I am so <deleted> at the Thais and why I ultimately left.

NanaSomchai

2 minutes ago, ChC1 said:

The point is, if 3,000 baht is too much, did it occur to the OP that he really needs to bury the dog, so to renegotiate to somewhere both party can agree? No. He did not. Every farang in Thailand knows sometimes you have to haggle. Could the OP offer 1,000 baht instead to get things done? Not according to the OP. Did the OP ask his wife to communicate and to haggle? If not, why?

Maybe if you ask this question you would realise how far stretched the story OP is telling. Or how immature the whole episode is if the OP is telling the true story.

I think the damage is already done by that point. As someone who gets to know others in the community, I'd be hurt by that 'quote' of 3k if a neighbour did that to me. I know everyone handles things differently though. 

At least the dog got laid to rest in the end. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ChC1 said:

The point is, if 3,000 baht is too much, did it occur to the OP that he really needs to bury the dog, so to renegotiate to somewhere both party can agree? No. He did not. Every farang in Thailand knows sometimes you have to haggle. Could the OP offer 1,000 baht instead to get things done? Not according to the OP. Did the OP ask his wife to communicate and to haggle? If not, why?

Maybe if you ask this question you would realise how far stretched the story OP is telling. Or how immature the whole episode is if the OP is telling the true story.

It's not the thb amount, it's the fact that a value or money was even discussed. I've lived in Isaan and for all the bad things that come to mind, they never would have charged for this. Of course we would have taken care of the people but they would never have asked for money.

• Like 1

Just now, EVENKEEL said:

It's not the thb amount, it's the fact that a value or money was even discussed. I've lived in Isaan and for all the bad things that come to mind, they never would have charged for this. Of course we would have taken care of the people but they would never have asked for money.

This.

2 minutes ago, ChC1 said:

I think the OP is solid.  All the things he must have shared with the village  in the past, all the fun times, or any times, meals he broke bread with them.  And they couldn't,  or wouldn't  have a heart to do this for him?  It's not a matter of paying it's a matter of extortion.   It's a matter of being neighborly.   Thais have to do anything they can to eat and survive.   They slaughter their own meat, strangle chickens, they are not ones to feel for animals, so they would never be as humane to them as one in the west is.  This is one of those  culture shocks that we as foreigners  must understand  before we commit  to being in the village.   Not always specific but it can be any variation.  Their culture is and will always be different,  and foreigners  will never be seen as equals.  They dont even realize how many of their superstitions are unfounded or not supported  by science,  its tradition,  and we cant change them.  I would say to the OP good on you recognizing that the culture is just not something  you can accept and you walked away.  Many do not realize that the culture is just that different,  and they dont walk away and it ends up a unhappy life or worse.  Some can blend and compromise  and work out but its rare.   A foreigner  will always be a foreigner  and a foreigners  ways will not be embraced  in Thailand.   The country is older than many western countries,  and yet they are stuck in the past for many reasons.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WEBBYB808 said:

I think the OP is solid.  All the things he must have shared with the village  in the past, all the fun times, or any times, meals he broke bread with them.  And they couldn't,  or wouldn't  have a heart to do this for him?  It's not a matter of paying it's a matter of extortion.   It's a matter of being neighborly.

They wouldn't have done it for me, yet they should have done it for the dog.

Indeed it was extortion.

Thailand Money Number One.

• Haha 1