My main gripe with Thailand. Why I am so <deleted> at the Thais and why I ultimately left.

NanaSomchai

I am sure the dog incident isn't the only reason you have divorced, left Thailand. But I do sympathise with you. 12 years here is getting a bit difficult.

Thais do not see further than directly in front of them, even then not taking notice which is shown in their attitude to litter & rubbish.. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It's sad to read your and Nan's story and I understand that is very upsetting and sad for you. It's upsetting and sad to read it.

I think by now you know that what happens when cultures clash. Thais, and especially Thai women, and especially Thai villagers have very different values from the average farang. I don't want to be judgmental about all the difference. Fact is there are huge differences and fact is that you lived in a Thai village and you were obviously not prepared to adjust your living and your values to that of the Thai villagers.

I am sure you think what they did was bad and strange. At the same time I am also sure that they think similar about you.

Who is to blame? Does it really matter?

Fact is that they and their lifestyle and not compatible to you and your lifestyle. I think you should never have settled down in that village or maybe even in Thailand.

Lots of things are very different in Thailand. Like it or not, I guess if you want to live here in peace then you/we have to adjust. After all, we are in Thailand and we can't expect that all Thais take on our values and our lifestyle.

All the best for you!

I appreciate your post, I really sincerely do.

However it doesn't excuse people asking me money to do something that essentially would have been free and the right thing to do. I'm not trying to sound all righteous here and not trying to paint every Thai as a bad person but I feel like I must ask the question:

Where does the greed end?

In every countries and cultures I have visited (and back in my younger days I have extensively visited exotic places like Morocco to give you a rough example), anyone of any cultural, ethnic, religious, academic background would understand that burying a corpse for free is the right thing to do rather than letting it rot under the blistering sun.

Instead they deliberately chose willing fully to leave a corpse to rot under the sun for the entire duration of our trip, (I often asked myself; what if we had gone for a whopping month?) without caring because we wouldn't pay for it.

And again I am 100% convinced here the only reason why they have asked us to pay money instead of doing it for free is because I'm a farang and therefore they assume I have money.

Where does the greed end? Where? Just tell me where?

Edited by NanaSomchai
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Andre0720 said:

And as Mahatma Gandhi expressed it:

Mahatma Gandhi acutely observed that "the greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."

And in some countries, we could easily add: "By the way they treat their own kind".

Thank you so much for your post. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Lesson number one, never get involved in anything to do with animal welfare, we have a Soi dog that lives in our soi, it's noisy, scabby, and a bloody nuisance, I ignore it, hopefully it will die very soon

Edited by onthedarkside
trolling comment removed
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, mikebike said:

Before I comment I need some clarification: in your 3rd paragraph you said, "My first Thai wife..." then, at the end of the story you say, "The next day I left the wife, I left the village, about a week later I filled for divorce and I didn't even wait for court or anything, I flew out of the Kingdom."

I know English is not your first language, how could you have a "first Thai wife" without ever having a second?

The second one we talk on LINE everyday. We were together my last week in Thailand. She wants to get married and come to Europe (which I'm against). Now you know.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, NanaSomchai said:

The second one we talk on LINE everyday. We were together my last week in Thailand. She wants to get married and come to Europe (which I'm against). Now you know.

LINE does not a relationship make. She wants to get married....but DO YOU? Dog or no dog.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I understand what you write and basically I agree with you.

But what I learned over the years in Thailand is that there are many things which every Thai person just knows. Some of these things can be explained to farangs, some not.

The following is just me making up a story to give you an example of what I mean. Maybe, just maybe the whole village was convinced that Nan the dog was an incarnation of maybe a murderer in that village. Maybe the murderer hanged himself and was reborn as a dog. And obviously nobody liked that murderer/dog. And it would be useless to even try to explain that to that ignorant farang. Everybody knows it and he will never understand it. 

So they let the dog die and they didn't care. And nobody wanted to have anything to do with that incarnated murderer.

Is this story true? Very likely it's not true. But it could be true. And it would be one of those typical Thai stories which only Thais understand.

I am pretty sure they had some kind of reasoning why they did what they did. But apparently they didn't think you would understand.

It's sad but after all, TiT!

I read the story and immediately knew this was dog had bad luck and the villagers knew this. They were right.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mutt Daeng said:

When you live in a small village in Isaan, if you feed and water a Soi dog, as far as the locals are concerned, that is now YOUR dog.

But it wasn't OUR dog back then.

2 minutes ago, Mutt Daeng said:

This is what your wife was trying to tell you. That's probably why no one else lifted a finger.

So what you are saying is that by Thai issan standards it's deemed perfectly acceptable not to lift a finger, not get involved and let a roaming animal, starve to death.

3 minutes ago, Mutt Daeng said:

That's probably why no one else lifted a finger. I'm not making excuses or trying to be nasty, thats just the way it is. You are clearly not suited to Isaan village life, not many people are.

I believe this isn't limited to the Issan village life based on the hordes of dogs roaming medium sized Thai cities and Thai beaches too roaming in large pack.

I guess you somehow must be right hence why I have left the Kingdom in the end.

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Mutt Daeng said:

If you really cared for the dog, you would have taken the time to bury it yourself and not be whining about having to pay someone to do the job for you.

<deleted> knows what you would be like if you had a REAL problem to deal with.

Have a nice day.

Hehe. Must be careful how you word your thoughts on this one.

Perhaps you would not want readers thinking that you share the same genetic flaws as these people as described above.

You would not want that now would you?

Just now, Andre0720 said:

Hehe. Must be careful how you word your thoughts on this one.

Perhaps you would not want readers thinking that you share the same genetic flaws as these people as described above.

You would not want that now would you?

Not sure what you mean. I believe in plain speaking. Please elaborate.