What about GOA in India ?

georgegeorgia

'Been to Port Au Prince. If it were safe, it would be the jewel of the Caribbean. Astonishing victorian architecture, compelling Vodun culture, the most inventive cuisine in that region.

Anywhere the French went, from Laos to Haiti, the food is always peerless..

• Like 1

On 2/25/2022 at 5:12 PM, CharlieH said:

Heard it oncx desctibed as the "Hippy shangrila" of the 80's. Ok for short visit enroute to elswhere but thats abouf it.(apparently)

One mans food is another mans poison as they say.????

And this more recently from Mr Google

"Goa is a famous tourist spot for Indians because of its dazzling nightlife that never ends. This city offers amazing, and exciting nightlife that starts from nightclubs, bars, beach shacks, and more with non-stop music, latest songs, perfect ambiance, dizzy neon lights, delectable food, and fancy drinks."

Definitely NOT something that would appeal to me .

There must be some mix-up. In the above comment, Mr. "Google" clearly describes Pattaya before 2005.

3 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

OP check out Port a Prince, Haiti.  Probably fits your lifestyle desires.

Just as a footnote: In Port au Prince in 1984, a one-night female companionship could be had for 1 US$. Not knowing about the price-structure in the "sticks" at this time. Probably 50 cts. 

To generally compare India to Thailand is comparing Apples with Oranges. Especially when it comes to compare Rural India to Rural Thailand. I have seen both. Rural India has left a lasting impression on me. Heaven and hell in direct competition on a daily basis.

I went with a GF to Port Au Prince who was a (white) African dancer. They opened up Katherine Dunham's abandoned house for us (she was the first choreographer to integrate African and Modern dance -worth a wiki-skim).

We met the legendary drummer, Ti RoRo. Wiki has him as dead in 1980, but we met him in 1982 -unless it was a fake Ti RoRo. That's how they spelled it on the record we bought, differently then Google says (bought from Ti RoRo -or not).

It was the era of Aids-hysteria, and Haitians were thought to be infected above US levels (later debunked). Sex in a tin shack was indeed available for a dollar. 

Tabou Combo and Ska Shah were two legendary compas bands of the day. Saw that mega-bill for $5, including two giant glugs of excellent Barbancourt rum (farang prices for tourists even then).

11 hours ago, LaosLover said:

Cleo Odzer, you can view her books on Amazon.

Famously friendly, a little mad. The kind of traveler that doesn't exist anymore, and that goes double on the female side of the aisle.

You can pick up a copy of Patpong Sisters for about $4 via USA Amazon. It's a confusing but fun read.

The book is based on her PhD thesis. 

Good to see long-deceased Cleo get some recognition here.

I bought a reviewer's copy of her book before it was in the stores at The Strand Bookstore in NYC. I emailed her, and she wrote right back. So I was possibly her first fan.

11 hours ago, LaosLover said:

Cleo Odzer, you can view her books on Amazon.

Famously friendly, a little mad. The kind of traveler that doesn't exist anymore, and that goes double on the female side of the aisle.

You can pick up a copy of Patpong Sisters for about $4 via USA Amazon. It's a confusing but fun read.

I think I bought that years ago, but never got around to reading. I'll have to see if I can find it.