Prolonged Russia-Ukraine war could derail Thai economic recovery

webfact

2 hours ago, Stefanix said:

Thailand: join in and sanction Russia! Cut off the flights! Russia needs to feel as much pressure as possible. The only way forward is the people in Russia standing up against this regime! Russian oligarchs should spend their vacation in North Korea!

Russian oligarchs welcome also in Dubai, you have forget bro ????

12 minutes ago, realfunster said:

I went and checked the charts and the rouble has weakened massively (halved in value) since 2014 already against $/Euro/RMB.

Perhaps part of Putin's motivation, the good old fashioned patriotic war to mask internal economic failure trick.

Of course, that poor economic outlook hasn't even slightly impaired the ability of the Russian kleptocracy to enrich themselves, with over 100 Russian billionaires now on the sanctions watchlist. The West has been party to this, often welcoming these people with open arms. (Yes, I am looking at you Roman Abramovich). It seems the turning a blind-eye on such things in now over but I am sure these people will find other welcoming, if less glamourous, nations that will be happy to accommodate their ill-gotten gains. China must be rubbing their hands with glee at this whole situation.

Such a shame that 30+ years after the collapse of the Wall and the fresh hope that Russia would re-integrate and become a valuable and powerful European partner, that here we are in 2022....

If it wasn't for their O&G exports, which are now surely under threat in the short/medium term, not sure what else they have to rely on as economic engines, particularly if operating under pariah nation status.

Dark days ahead for the average working Russian.

Dark days also for all European countries

With Europe and the UK now banning the use of " Swift " there will be a Global push for other Countries to do likewise.

This action, along with Asset freezing, will certainly hit Thailand hard if the sanctions are imposed here

There will certainly be a large impact upon the Property  Market

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

With Europe and the UK now banning the use of " Swift " there will be a Global push for other Countries to do likewise.

This action, along with Asset freezing, will certainly hit Thailand hard if the sanctions are imposed here

There will certainly be a large impact upon the Property  Market

It will be felt in Phuket thats for sure, lots of Russian expats here and in the International Schools the Russians have a good proportion of students so its going to be felt economically in many sectors including of course property

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

It will be felt in Phuket thats for sure, lots of Russian expats here and in the International Schools the Russians have a good proportion of students so its going to be felt economically in many sectors including of course property

Are  these Russians who are wealthy and live retired in Thailand, or run businesses in Thailand? Just wondering how dependent on the motherland they might be. 

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Are  these Russians who are wealthy and live retired in Thailand, or run businesses in Thailand? Just wondering how dependent on the motherland they might be. 

I know many from the school my daughter goes to and they are mostly in the 35 - 55 year age group with businesses here in Phuket, many into property rentals etc, luxury villas. Not sure what they all do but I guess many others work online same as their western counterparts or as you say some may have retired.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Isaanlife said:

How long would it take the nuclear fallout to drift to Thailand?

Depends on whether Putin uses the smaller neutron bombs (or not) which are more target specific but do release radiation. Don't forget, the Atom bomb could also come under a nuclear alert (as a general statement) which are of course not as destructive as the fusion bombs. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, smedly said:

well I am going to say the same thing I said a few days ago

The Thai government/authorities need to shut # #  up

They should not be commenting on what is going on - Ukraine is a free country paving their own future and then along comes mad man Putin  who is trying to bomb his way into peoples hearts ............. on what level does that work ?...........in his head only it seems 

My opinion is - the Russian people will not put up with this just as the world doesnt, Russians who have been sent into Ukraine will already be asking themselves ........what the # are we doing here .................................... Mental mad dog Putin will be  gone  very soon, he will not be allowed to progress this nonsense 

Bye Bye

Where in the article do the Thai authorities comment on what is going on? The article is only about what effects the ongoing situation could have on Thailand. Are the Thais not allowed to talk about that?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, smedly said:

well I am going to say the same thing I said a few days ago

The Thai government/authorities need to shut # #  up

They should not be commenting on what is going on - Ukraine is a free country paving their own future and then along comes mad man Putin  who is trying to bomb his way into peoples hearts ............. on what level does that work ?...........in his head only it seems 

My opinion is - the Russian people will not put up with this just as the world doesnt, Russians who have been sent into Ukraine will already be asking themselves ........what the # are we doing here .................................... Mental mad dog Putin will be  gone  very soon, he will not be allowed to progress this nonsense 

Bye Bye

Putin has to be taken out soon by either his own or alien forces . The current situation on his invasion is bleak , followed by further global sanctions and unrest within Russia . He has options , 1/ get round the negotiation table 2/ back off and withdraw his forces 3/ bombard Ukraine and flatten it without any consideration for civilian life 4/ hit the nuclear button 5/ turn the gun on himself . My preference would be option 5 for him . Judging by his actions so far , if he is losing or backed into a corner , I think he would press the button and destroy the planet or at best there would be a nuclear winter of 4 years . 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand’s Foreign Ministry on February 25 announced a plan to evacuate 236 Thais living in Ukraine.

How's that plan going Tu Tu ?

2 hours ago, Blumpie said:

Don't sorry, they won't.

't.  

Well they ARE with hundreds of Russians already arrested for demonstrating against Putin's War on Ukraine.

27 minutes ago, JackGats said:

Russia has huge reserves to support its currency. But can it do so after being cut off from financial markets?

I don't really know, is this relevant?:

"The new ban on the Central Bank of Russia's ability to use its roughly $630bn in foreign reserves undermines its ability to defend the rouble. Inflation is likely to go up because of the currency's weakness."

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-60550992

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dukeleto said:

Xi Jinping must be doing flick flacks at home. They could not have asked for a better diversion post Covid to remove the spot light off them and how that all started . They must be hoping the entire European population (Russia included in there) annihilate each other making their end goal of world domination under a single party a tantalising possibility.

Yes, sitting back with the popcorn (chickens feet?) and enjoying the show.

• Like 1

Meanwhile we have those in high positions here actively embracing the invasion of Ukraine by Russia.

Opinion: Thailand’s conservatives are throwing their support behind Putin, should we be surprised?

“I would like to send a morale support for President Vladimir Putin and the Russian army. I always like his leadership and decisiveness and he is clearly friendly to the Kingdom of Thailand and trustworthy, like President Xi Jinping,” wrote Police Major General Rianthong Nanna, the director of Mongkutwattana Hospital.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/37935/opinion-thailands-conservatives-are-throwing-their-support-behind-putin-should-we-be-surprised/

• Sad 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Yes, not only London....someone was telling me they were big in Cyprus of all places!

Can confirm.

When I worked offshore there, we flew out to the rig from the VIP terminal at the airport, which was full of Russian oligarchs' private jets and staffed by hot women.