Why you need a cable finder ...

Crossy

Or at least accurate as-built drawings (which are about a common as unicorn droppings).

Not, I hasten to add, one of my jobs, but someone cut a very expensive core!

main-qimg-548e8628eef5e4e2b037f23e348776f9.jpg.ae6b691222cc388b5e75538c31f0211e.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ouch!

Reminds me of the time I wanted to attach a coat hook to the wall and used an all steel push drill to make a hole and bridged the positive and earth wires on a cable cunningly run just beneath the wall board by someone before. Melted the drill bit before the fuse wire melted! Had it been just the positive I'd not be writing this now.

I did stop using the steel push drill for house walls after that.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/6/2022 at 4:16 PM, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

Direct burial in concrete, one of my pet hates.

I agree. The only thing worse is discovering it as the OP suggests.

I was reading on an Aussie forum for Ford Ranger owners about the guy who thought he would find a quicker way of cutting the rubber nipple on the bulkhead sealing feed-through so he could run a wire for some extra lights. The nipple is specially for after-market wiring runs but is a bit of a <deleted> to get at with both hands. He decided on a quick, one-handed approach using a twist drill which went through the nipple a lot quicker than it went through the wiring harness behind it! That was a A$3,800 non-warranty repair.

• Like 2