Advice For Visa Runners who were on multiple covid extensions: Do not return as 'visa exempt'

Just now, Boomer6969 said:

Why would one make things so complicated when marriage extensions are easy to get? I am on my 7th extension, never had any issue worth to mention.

Marriage extensions are for married suckers. Never was married, never will be. Not in this lifetime.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, MajorTom said:

Then you have this land border only twice per year thing. What passports are exempt from that? Has anybody seen a list? Is it secret? Nobody has managed to find out in this thread so far. This would also be fairly important to know before you go?

The rules here are, in fact, clear (though the rules are not laid out clearly in one place). Let's see if I can clarify:

1. There are two very different kinds of visa exempt entry. These are the "standard" visa exemption and the visa exemption based on "bilateral agreement". The lists of countries eligible for visa exempt entries (standard and bilateral agreement) is available in a Wikipedia article (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_Thailand)
  2. Those using standard visa exemption are limited to two visa exempt entries per year at land borders
  3. With visa exemption based on bilateral agreement, the rules on number of such entries by land per year is determined by the agreement. Mostly, there is no limit. However, some only get one per year. (for example, Chile and Russia). Because every country with bilateral agreement has negotiated different rules, those from such countries need to enquire as to the rules for their specific country if planning to use visa exempt entry.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Caldera said:

While technically correct, a country that aims to be a world-class tourist destination needs to ensure that this happens only in rare cases, under exceptional circumstances. Anything that can be vetted before someone boards a flight should be vetted before, and in fact that's one of the reasons why Thailand implemented APIS and makes us pay for it as part of the ticket.

If the Thai government wanted to impose a hard limit on visa exempt entries by air, they could easily implement that as well, just like other countries.

If too many people are denied entry for arbitrary reasons despite meeting the published requirements, on the other hand, that will reflect poorly on Thailand.

The point that visa exempt entry could be decided prior to boarding (using the APIS system) is an interesting one. I am not sure it would make people much happier. At least if immigration deny entry when you arrive in Thailand, you can argue your case. In fact, the overall impression you make on the officials is often the determining factor on whether you are allowed in. When denied boarding via APIS, the airline just gets a DNB (Do Not Board) instruction, with no explanation as to why. There is no right of appeal.

9 minutes ago, BritTim said:

The point that visa exempt entry could be decided prior to boarding (using the APIS system) is an interesting one. I am not sure it would make people much happier. At least if immigration deny entry when you arrive in Thailand, you can argue your case. In fact, the overall impression you make on the officials is often the determining factor on whether you are allowed in. When denied boarding via APIS, the airline just gets a DNB (Do Not Board) instruction, with no explanation as to why. There is no right of appeal.

I just mentioned APIS as one cheap and in many cases effective way to vet arrivals before boarding. In that particular case, people who are blacklisted. If someone tries to circumvent the system, for example by changing their name, there could still be a need to deny entry at the Thai airport, when their fingerprints are scanned. But that would be a rare case.

I don't think it would be necessary to add a hard visa exempt limit - if one were to be imposed - to APIS, however. Simply publishing the rule via IATA and travel advisories, as other countries do, would be sufficient.

• Like 1

Tourist Visa Entry long unofficially encouraged for extended stays beyond 4-6 weeks But can be unavailable or difficult.
Indicates a Disconnect between Consulates & Imm.

For Quality Tourism Reset, which they say they want but whose desperate contrary Imm. actions indicate otherwise, there should be No Visa Exempt & No Visa On Arrival & No VE/VOA Extensions ! Only VISA.

23 hours ago, audaciousnomad said:

I pay attention to posts on both this forum and in FB groups I am in.  While I agree with you that FB is often populated with trolls...this forum has its share of them as well.  That said, I am reluctant to discount posts that are not trolling, but are actual reports of the user's experience. If you notice some of my other posts, you will find that I also share reports of positive experiences.  Anyways, I just hope this helps people know what to potentially expect on a visa run now.

There are NO Visa Runs for Thailand or Anywhere whilst Borders are Closed or Restricted. Visa Run means same day Visa Exempt Out & Back. Doesn’t Exist.

1 hour ago, TropicalGuy said:

There are NO Visa Runs for Thailand or Anywhere whilst Borders are Closed or Restricted. Visa Run means same day Visa Exempt Out & Back. Doesn’t Exist.

There are visa runs where you exit, spend a few days to apply for a visa at the consulate (for example in Kuala Lumpur I have done one in the past though not recently), and then return once you have a new visa.  It does not necessarily mean "same-day" when referring to visa runs.

Edited by audaciousnomad
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Here is topic I posted in December of 2016 about the limit of 2 visa exempt entries per calendar year.

At the same time they did away with the 15 days at land border crossing rule.

Dear ubonjoe,

With all due respect, that old thread from 2016 has a lot of misinforming posts in it.

First off, using a Brazilian passport I have always gotten 90 days per entry into the Kingdom, regardless of it being by Air or Land, including on the same day, Nong Khai was my point of entry every single time.

There is even a post in that thread where someone claims his wife using a ROK passport got 90 days as well, not 30, which confirms what I am saying above.

Secondly, there is also another misinforming post claiming a Cambodian passport holder should get "unlimited" access to Thailand (albeit 14 days per round trip, which I agree with), however this is also believed to be completely false, a Cambodian passport holder may be allowed to 2 entries into the Kingdom by land by calendar year. Now that post I am referring to, the original poster doesn't specify whether this "unlimited" rule is by Air or by Land.

Now I know you are pretty knowledgeable on these forums so I'll take your word for it; would you be able to clarify what the situation actually is (or was before the pandemic) for passport holders of Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam? (by Air and Land obviously, what the limitations are?)

Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

The rules here are, in fact, clear (though the rules are not laid out clearly in one place). Let's see if I can clarify:

1. There are two very different kinds of visa exempt entry. These are the "standard" visa exemption and the visa exemption based on "bilateral agreement". The lists of countries eligible for visa exempt entries (standard and bilateral agreement) is available in a Wikipedia article (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_Thailand)
  2. Those using standard visa exemption are limited to two visa exempt entries per year at land borders
  3. With visa exemption based on bilateral agreement, the rules on number of such entries by land per year is determined by the agreement. Mostly, there is no limit. However, some only get one per year. (for example, Chile and Russia). Because every country with bilateral agreement has negotiated different rules, those from such countries need to enquire as to the rules for their specific country if planning to use visa exempt entry.

I wish I could hug you right now.

This is what I've been saying all along, there's even a post from me mentioning the one entry per year using a Chilean passport one or two pages ago, I didn't make this $h!t up.

Now I apologize for not finding it, there are several revisions of that document I have linked a few posts ago, including one that used to be hosted somewhere on the *.immigration.go.th website, it was in the year 2551, so it's pretty old at this point, the original document also mentioned what the entries per year rule were for each countries with a bilateral agreement with Thailand, rules are different for each country.

I am so sorry that I cannot find it anymore, I believe that document was meant to be "internal use" only, hence why they took it down circa 2018. It exists, I have seen it.

I am not making this up.

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

At least if immigration deny entry when you arrive in Thailand, you can argue your case. In fact, the overall impression you make on the officials is often the determining factor on whether you are allowed in.

This, really, this, people seem to undershadow the importance of this, not so much at the ports of entry by Air because of the cameras, etc. But I assure you most immigration officers do "judge the book by it's cover", show up well dressed, well mannered, explain to the I/O why "you stay Thailand too mutt", add some tea money to your travel documents if you must, do a Wai salute, always control your temper, show them respect, they will let you in.

On the other hand, show up in flip flops, with a "I love Soi 6" t-shirt with dubious stains on it, along a protruding beer belly, bad smell, bad breath, low hygiene, bad attitude, a passport in lousy conditions and start yapping your mouth using foul language, see what happens next, no matter what visa you may have.

Thais are relatively simple minded people at the end of the day, they really do judge books by their covers. Once they got a bad impression about you, you're done.

2 hours ago, Caldera said:

I just mentioned APIS as one cheap and in many cases effective way to vet arrivals before boarding. In that particular case, people who are blacklisted. If someone tries to circumvent the system, for example by changing their name, there could still be a need to deny entry at the Thai airport, when their fingerprints are scanned. But that would be a rare case.

Blacklisted people would effectively be stopped by the APIS system, unless they have had their details such as names changed. However with the fingerprints scanners at every single point of entry/exit, the blacklisted sheeps are getting caught with a 99.9% success rate. The only way for a blacklisted person to pass through the security nets would be when the entire biometric systems are down. I recall a few posts on these forums hinting it is sometimes the case, but there's no way for you to know whenever the systems are up or down. Being blacklisted and betting on the odds the biometric systems being down is akin to winning a lottery ticket.

2 hours ago, Caldera said:

I don't think it would be necessary to add a hard visa exempt limit - if one were to be imposed - to APIS, however. Simply publishing the rule via IATA and travel advisories, as other countries do, would be sufficient.

I don't think any countries in the World (minus the USA and Israel) have enough "weight" to make changes to the APIS system, but I could be wrong.

Edited by NanaSomchai

2 hours ago, TropicalGuy said:

Tourist Visa Entry long unofficially encouraged for extended stays beyond 4-6 weeks But can be unavailable or difficult.
Indicates a Disconnect between Consulates & Imm.

For Quality Tourism Reset, which they say they want but whose desperate contrary Imm. actions indicate otherwise, there should be No Visa Exempt & No Visa On Arrival & No VE/VOA Extensions ! Only VISA.

Be careful what you wish for.

3 hours ago, audaciousnomad said:

There are visa runs where you exit, spend a few days to apply for a visa at the consulate (for example in Kuala Lumpur I have done one in the past though not recently), and then return once you have a new visa.  It does not necessarily mean "same-day" when referring to visa runs.

Deluxe Visa Run. Really a “New Visa Trip” if Overnight / Weekend.

Did those in Penang & then Singapore years ago. Air Travel Only.
Not the Cheap Charlie Land / Sea Border “ Visa Runs” completed same day using group silver road rats ! 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, NanaSomchai said:

First off, using a Brazilian passport I have always gotten 90 days per entry into the Kingdom, regardless of it being by Air or Land, including on the same day, Nong Khai was my point of entry every single time.

Your entries are under a bilateral agreement not the standard visa exempt entry scheme. Same for Koreans, Cambodians, Laotians and etc the 2 entry per calendar year does not apply to them.

.See this for the latest info for the countries under  bilateral agreements. 

List of countries for visa exempt and visas on arrival dated October 2021.

What is posted in that topic is not really relevant. Only the first post stating what the rules are.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Same for Koreans, Cambodians, Laotians and etc the 2 entry per calendar year does not apply to them.

.See this for the latest info for the countries under  bilateral agreements. 

List of countries for visa exempt and visas on arrival dated October 2021. 263.57 kB · 27 downloads

I was asking the question for a close "relative" who travels on a Cambodian passport, she is a Cambodian national, she is interested in "setting up" (but not working) a resort business on the Thai side of the border, nearby Ban Hat Lek (Trat Province) but would like to cross the Khlong Yai Border Checkpoint on a weekly basis, (be in Thailand weekdays, return to Cambodia on days off/week-ends), my question is, is she exempt from 2 entries per calendar year by land crossing the checkpoint on foot or is she going to run into immigration hurdles?

What do you think? What should I tell her? (apart from the obvious answers; get a proper visa).

Thanks.

Edited by NanaSomchai

10 minutes ago, NanaSomchai said:

What do you think? What should I tell her? (apart from the obvious answers; get a proper visa).

She could make the weekly crossings without a problem and get a 14 day stamp in her passport everytime.

Thais do the same for entry to Cambodia since they also get the 14 day entries.

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

She could make the weekly crossings without a problem and get a 14 day stamp in her passport everytime.

Thais do the same for entry to Cambodia since they also get the 14 day entries.

That's what I thought as well, but wanted to make sure she would be exempt of any hassles when attempting to do this every week, we're talking about 52 crossings per year here. Is this going to raise any eyebrows at some point?

Last question; Do you have any feedback or experiences (positive or negative) about that specific checkpoint/border? It is notoriously known the Poipet one must be avoided at all times.

Thank you for your time.

Edited by NanaSomchai

3 minutes ago, NanaSomchai said:

Last question; Do you have any feedback or experiences (positive or negative) about that specific checkpoint/border? It is notoriously known the Poipet one must be avoided at all times.

No

I think Thai immigration will not make a problem since there are also Thais doing the same thing. I am aware of Thais doing the crossing in Surin to Cambodia 2 or 3 times week.

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I think Thai immigration will not make a problem since there are also Thais doing the same thing. I am aware of Thais doing the crossing in Surin to Cambodia 2 or 3 times week.

She's going to be delighted to hear the good news.

Thanks!

11 hours ago, NanaSomchai said:

This, really, this, people seem to undershadow the importance of this, not so much at the ports of entry by Air because of the cameras, etc. But I assure you most immigration officers do "judge the book by it's cover", show up well dressed, well mannered, explain to the I/O why "you stay Thailand too mutt", add some tea money to your travel documents if you must, do a Wai salute, always control your temper, show them respect, they will let you in.

On the other hand, show up in flip flops, with a "I love Soi 6" t-shirt with dubious stains on it, along a protruding beer belly, bad smell, bad breath, low hygiene, bad attitude, a passport in lousy conditions and start yapping your mouth using foul language, see what happens next, no matter what visa you may have.

Thais are relatively simple minded people at the end of the day, they really do judge books by their covers. Once they got a bad impression about you, you're done.

All what you say goes without saying .