Many parrots - especially conures & lovebirds are ridiculously needy when they ‘bond’ with someone. I had a Quaker parrot like this.  If you do not want to have your life revolving around a needy avian - I would suggest - make the break now - quickly - and permanently!

Face the assault and run out the door, then push it off your shoulders.  Gently use a small stick or a pen.

If you want to keep it, but not in a cage, make a perch for it, and figure out how they get the birds to stay on it.  I think it involves plucking certain feathers that hinder their ability to fly, if you are willing to do that.

I would think there is some Thai superstition about these things (isn't that always so?) so check with the missus on that.

I once sought & bought a young double yellow nape parrot, 

they were rare, and supposed to be the 2nd best talking bird....I even drove from CA into Mexico where I bought it a big black, ornate cage.....

It talked, mimicked my sneeze & was fun for awhile....It also got possessive & jealous = started screeching (loud) if I left it alone....Was chattering when I was nearby.....

I was maybe 35 at the time....That parrot's life span was rated at 70+ years..... There was no way I was going to put up with that + cart it around for the rest of my life....

I sold it (should've made a 2 for 1 package deal with ex-wife = same traits).....

You've now discovered why the bird was set loose....If you don't want another 20+ years of the same, either find a way to train it, or gift it, or set it loose....

Would the Queen's botanical gardens take it? I know there are some menageries at some of them.....

Edited by pgrahmm

2 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

Would the Queen's botanical gardens take it? I know there are some menageries at some of them.....

I fear it's too late for that, it's won the battle for hearts and minds with my wife and kids and I believe it knows that fact. It can't speak any Ingrish, but I know what it's saying when it locks eyes with me: "I ain't going NOWHERE mate".

2 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

or set it loose

In all seriousness though, it makes me pretty angry how irresponsible pet owners can be. If, as I am assuming, it was raised in captivity, I doubt it would survive. It was clearly dehydrated when it found us.

12 hours ago, bobandyson said:

beautiful plumage.

Thanks, but I realise I'm not looking my best right now, I've been in here for days!

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

A large metal cage in the sitting room and a smaller one to move to office, kids bedroom or garden. 
Let wife and kids to take full care of her, they have much time to play. 
Possibly get another parrot for companionship, they suppose to live in pairs. So she will less interact with people