Pigeons problem in and around Chiang Mai

ChaiyaTH

Pigeons are a problem in many areas of Chiang Mai including in the old city where they used to sell food to Chinese (I guess that is part of the huge increase). Anyway, I rent a small condo where these birds are around in huge counts, they <deleted> on my motorbike all the time, no matter where I park. 

I was thinking everyone hates the pigeon poopoo everywhere as well on their bikes not to mention sometimes the smell. So is there any chance that these fine buddhists would allow a proposal where I would shoot them with an airsoft gun or are there companies who would handle it?

Wonder if anyone dealt with these pigeons before, its hundreds of them.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Don Dunkelblum said:

I shoot them with an airgun (pump system).

This does the job, feels like hunting..

Well yeah in this case I just rent a cheap but beautiful refurb studio in a 3 building old condo project. They really are there in amounts that it is certainly justified to say 'hunt them' and I guess almost anyone would agree if voting anonymous and not considering buddhism.

I saw some airsoft guns with a red dot thingie on it, could be fun, but seriously, they just need to be killed 90%. The other morning I had one stuck between my toilet window and mosquito net, I pushed that <deleted> down.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

Typical wrong aggressive approach to pests.

Feed them off site and they go away. They move to where the food is.

How soon can you get up to Chiang Mai?

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, DezLez said:

With no Chinese to feed them they should be reducing in numbers anyway.

PS;  I thought Farang could not have guns/weapons of any kind.

You can have airsoft guns that are not with gas, those work fine for pigeons. My wife can have a gun tho, if I'd wanted a real one that is an easy way. Plenty of illegal ones from 30K as well.

Anyway, I saw them playing around with pigeons today again on thapae gate.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

6 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Typical wrong aggressive approach to pests.

Feed them off site and they go away. They move to where the food is.

That is a nonsense comment, obviously you won't get them away like some dogs follows your sausage, aside of the fact they would still be in too large numbers and there isn't a better place for them to live without disturbing that new place. 

They need to be reduced in numbers, that is the only logical approach. That is why hunting is in place for many other species too. Not talking about the occasional bad luck bird poo poo on a bike, it is like a 24/7 event of around 150 pigeons at 3 buildings doing cluster bombing with their poo. It is everywhere you look, clean it and 2 hours later it is back.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

2 minutes ago, DezLez said:

The pigeons might not agree!

Where is that exemption laid down or is it just your local area?

This is for entire Thailand, you can buy any of them on Lazada, I got multiple for years. Used to shoot cockroaches with it. Officially it is illegal to harm animals with it though, hence the proposal part.

Thai Law as it stands today:

“Paintball guns, BB guns and airsoft guns are not considered firearms, so it is legal to possess them without having a permit or registering them. However the owner must comply with the following conditions:

• The gun hasn’t been modified to use CO2.

• Only plastic bullets are used – no metal bullets or marbles may be fired.

• When carrying the gun outside of the owner’s property it must be packed in a safe case or box. It is not allowed to be carried in shirt or trouser pockets, nor can it be left out in the open.

• The gun can’t be used to commit a crime or torture animals.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

18 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

This is for entire Thailand, you can buy any of them on Lazada, I got multiple for years. Used to shoot cockroaches with it. Officially it is illegal to harm animals with it though, hence the proposal part.

Thai Law as it stands today:

“Paintball guns, BB guns and airsoft guns are not considered firearms, so it is legal to possess them without having a permit or registering them. However the owner must comply with the following conditions:

• The gun hasn’t been modified to use CO2.

• Only plastic bullets are used – no metal bullets or marbles may be fired.

• When carrying the gun outside of the owner’s property it must be packed in a safe case or box. It is not allowed to be carried in shirt or trouser pockets, nor can it be left out in the open.

• The gun can’t be used to commit a crime or torture animals.

Do you have a source for that quote please?

The 2017 act seems to say the opposite!

" * "Firearms" means to include all kinds of weapons that fire by explosive force or gas pressure or air pressure or any mechanism which uses the power and any part of force that weapon that the pressure Minister deems important and specified in the ministerial regulations."

Thailand Gun Law Act (thailawforum.com)

Edited by DezLez

You are wasting your time trying to scare them off, there are hundreds of them and only one of you. They are around in your area because either (a) people are feeding them or (b) it's a good nesting site. Which probably would be inaccessible.

I don't know if there are any falconers in Chiang Mai, IMO that's the only way to get them to go.

As you are renting, move to a condo that does not have them.

• Like 1

Thank yourself lucky they're not seagulls ????

The missus and I were walking along Brighton seafront last year & the missus was eating her Fish and Chips  - she was attacked from every angle. She couldn't believe how aggressive they were.

I think it's where old Alf got his idea for the Birds - just the PG version  ????

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, DezLez said:

With no Chinese to feed them they should be reducing in numbers anyway.

I'm in CM and I know of 2 premises nearby where some nutty local is feeding them, pigeons are now wandering about on the Sois and roads in my neighborhood and a few are getting splattered by drivers who will not slow down to avoid killing them .. unlike myself

• Like 1

Try to think ahead …if you managed to solve the pigeon problem, then you will be posting soon about how you have to move because your rent just doubled on your great CHEAP condo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

I dont believe you sorry.  They will not poop on your bike if you are not parking it under a place where they roost.

Are they roosting on your bike?

Sounds to me you are just after getting a kick out of killing some defenceless birds. 

If they really are causing you a problem then the answer is to park you bike away from where they are roosting.  

Even just throw an old blanket or plastic cover over the bike.  It's not rocket science. 

You think I make it up? I dare you to come over and pay me 10K baht if I am right, 10K for you if I made it up. They <deleted> everywhere, the entire area is under it, around 50 motorbike owners will testify.

18 hours ago, Mickeem said:

I'm in CM and I know of 2 premises nearby where some nutty local is feeding them, pigeons are now wandering about on the Sois and roads in my neighborhood and a few are getting splattered by drivers who will not slow down to avoid killing them .. unlike myself

Yeah many get to the roads and get hit, you can see them more than rats nowadays.

17 hours ago, amykat said:

Try to think ahead …if you managed to solve the pigeon problem, then you will be posting soon about how you have to move because your rent just doubled on your great CHEAP condo.

That would be great but the rent was just as much as well the average sell value before this problem started. I wouldn't mind if so, i would use it as a chance to invest in some units. Neither would I care to pay 25% more rent if this problem was solved.

Prices are where they are because there is an overload of housing and a shortage of people moving in it + 30% decrease in local population over the next 10-20 years alone.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

You live in a city and complain about pigeons?  Sorry - they come with the territory.  When I lived in Chiang Mai they were just part of the local scenery.  I've no problems with pigeons.  All animals poop as do you. 
Don't like pigeons?  Move.  Then guess what?  All the lovely songbirds out here in rural Thailand poop too.  I've never even considered harming the songbirds who poop on the car.  I just wash the car and cover it after it dries.
Perhaps you should meditate and do good deeds and perhaps you'll be reborn in a reality where animals don't poop.  Of course you could shoot them.  Then live your next few hundred incarnations and a pigeon who keeps getting shot  :thumbsup:
"I don't believe in reincarnation!"  ????
Yeah, but reincarnation may believe in you. 
Leave the pigeons alone.  Buy a motorcycle cover.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, connda said:

You live in a city and complain about pigeons?  Sorry - they come with the territory.  When I lived in Chiang Mai they were just part of the local scenery.  I've no problems with pigeons.  All animals poop as do you. 
Don't like pigeons?  Move.  Then guess what?  All the lovely songbirds out here in rural Thailand poop too.  I've never even considered harming the songbirds who poop on the car.  I just wash the car and cover it after it dries.
Perhaps you should meditate and do good deeds and perhaps you'll be reborn in a reality where animals don't poop.  Of course you could shoot them.  Then live your next few hundred incarnations and a pigeon who keeps getting shot  :thumbsup:
"I don't believe in reincarnation!"  ????
Yeah, but reincarnation may believe in you. 
Leave the pigeons alone.  Buy a motorcycle cover.

Learn to read before writing a long comment, as said, it is not in normal amounts. Obviously i wouldn't have brought it up otherwise. Comments like this actually motivate me more to get rid of them, didn't now this was the bird lover forum.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Confused 1