How to answer the question "What are you doing here?"

I have been in Thailand since before the pandemic started, which is over 2 years now, first on ED then volunteer and now covid extensions.

I will be going to Cambodia in 2 weeks and apply for a tourist visa. I am worried that on my way back at the Thai airport, the officer will leaf through my pages, see all the covid extensions and ask me what I am doing here.

How should one answer that question generally and specifically in this situation as to not get sent back at the airport? And how likely would that even be, if I have 20k THB cash on me?

Edited by zugzug123
  • Haha 1

I'm not sure how they would send you back. I mean the logistics of it given entry requirements to various countries.

The other alternative is to send you to your passport country. 

As for a reason for your return it's best to have a rehearsed reply.

Even if it's semi made up be clear and have reply ready.

Some folk mention a girlfriend.

Recent report of guy doing visa run to PP, he had no issue upon reentry however he had a non O marriage.

Your obtaining a TV.

No thought of longer stay in Cambodia? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Your 14 years of coming to Thailand may not have involved continuous stay over lengthy period with short trips out and back sometimes couple of days.

Indeed prior to covid there were reports of folk being refused entry.

In particular DMK. 

Some folk opting to enter via Chiang Mai airport. 

It does happen and an understandable concern. 

The OP has been here 2 years continuous. 

There used to be a limit on coming and going to Thailand but that was stopped about 5 years ago. If you have an approved tourist visa why would you not be eligible to enter? That would defeat the whole purpose of Thai embassies reviewing and approving visa applications

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Like 1

Just now, CharlieH said:

Your over thinking it. Any question would generally be regarding your current entry and visa, rarely have I heard of questions about previous entries.

It's a TV your visiting as a tourist for X amount of time. Period. Short to the point.The more elaborate or complex the answer the more you may trip yourself up.

Thank you. In 2019 I was actually sent back to Malaysia where I did my tourist visa runs. I have been staying on 60 day tourist + 30 day extension for 1.5 years at that point. The IO at DMK asked me that exact question "What are you doing here?" and looked in his computer that I've been here in tourist visas for 1.5 years. 

I just answered I stay here with my girlfriend, I rent a condo, etc. But at that time I did't know about the 20k THB requirement... so that may have been why?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, aussiexpat said:

? That would defeat the whole purpose of embassies reviewing and approving visa applications

They have nothing to do with approving admission into the kingdom. 

Granted entering with a tourist visa is better option than visa exempt.

I can assure you folk have been refused entry. 

It's a valid concern 

• Like 2

Just now, aussiexpat said:

You're on a 60 day tourist visa, immigration ask what are you doing here, oh I live here with my girlfriend in my rented condo...

Not hard to see why your answer does not match your visa and so would likely be questioned in any country?

So what should I've answered in your opinion?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

I want to see more of your beautiful  country and I want to learn more about your wonderful Thai culture and language (throw in some Thai to show you're serious)

mhh yes, I might actually try this. The girlfriend angle didn't seem to work last time ???? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think basically he is asking you: How can you stay here for so long as a tourist without working? Where does your money come from?

Spot on. 

They suspect that your working.

Added to that thinking is very quick turnaround.

Prior to covid how many times do you read threads asking about quickest place to get a visa and return. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

i would look at a mirror and ask the question to myself: why i want to stay longer in thailand with a tourist visa, to find a work? just trying to live on tourist visa in thailand? .. etc. 

i would give the answer to IO

Although i think the question here is will the embassy give you a tourist visa? you already stayed here long enough. There are people working in thailand for years and when they have no more contract they need to leave and get a new tourist visa in 1 day or a week time. And trust me i have friends their visa application rejected and the reason is they stayed here long enough. one example is a british guy (one of my friends rejected) was working and living in thailand for almost 10 years. this rejecting thing started maybe 2 years just before covid. I hope the embassy will not count that covid visas like real visas. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, stigar said:

The first thing i would ask is where you get ur money from.I would like to see ur income.Then i would do a criminal check on you.If ur statements not look rigth i would put you on a holding cell and contact ur embassy to verify if ur wanted in ur home country.The embassy could verify if you noticed ur home country and if you left with benefits ur suppose to only recive if ur in ur country of origin.

slightly off topic... and off the rails too ???? 

IOs will not go through this much work, they will just send you back, you might need to spend the night at the airports holding cell while waiting for your flight though. 

Edited by zugzug123
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

So basically you told the IO you live in Thailand, right? And you were trying to enter as a tourist. I assume that was the reason. 

Maybe.. but then the IO suggested to me that I should apply for an ED visa if I wanted to stay longer... so maybe I was just unlucky and part of their 'crackdown' in 2019

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, at15 said:

Just chill out and get another covid extension, even ubonjoe the Nostradamus of Aseannow predicts we will get another to 25 May.

Current reports of rejection even with entry from tv or visa exempt.

Also various offices requiring nonsense, such as Hua Hin asking for embassy letter.

CW asking for outbound flight and others just straight up NO..

Did ubonjoe suggest covid extensions will be extended again? Till May 25.

I haven't seen that. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, at15 said:

Just chill out and get another covid extension, even ubonjoe the Nostradamus of Aseannow predicts we will get another to 25 May.

If they keep extending the covid extension program I might be able to do a covid extension again after my tourist extension expires ???? But as of right now I do not qualify for covid extension.

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Current reports of rejection even with entry from tv or visa exempt.

Also various offices requiring nonsense, such as Hua Hin asking for embassy letter.

CW asking for outbound flight and others just straight up NO..

Did ubonjoe suggest covid extensions will be extended again? Till May 25.

I haven't seen that. 

I asked him directly in another thread. He said one word, "Yes."

Obviously some immigration officers do not want this stuff to continue, but its the government that will decide. When the chinese tourists start coming back thats when you need to be worried.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, at15 said:

Obviously some immigration officers do not want this stuff to continue, but its the government that will decide

True.

I don't understand the vested interest and negatively from some offices/officers.

My guess is to force use of agents. Why not just do their job. 

Does anyone recall that government stated 90 day reports not required during amnesty period.

Then out of the blue immigration stated any folk that skipped report needed to do so in person.

Think it was August 2020.

Bunch of megalomaniacs.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1