Email hosting provider - advice

RickG16

I am looking at options for email hosting.

Ideally, I'd like to have some say over name of the domain (the @XXXXXXX.com) and give myself the option of having a website at some point in the future, but not necessarily now.

Anyone have any ideas? And ballpark price points?

Cheers

If you don't care about privacy (that any staff member will be able to read your emails) then you could just host your domain on Google / gmail.com or any other email service, for free. You will need to pay for the domain name only - approx $10/year.

If you want some privacy then you will have to rent a dedicated server, and this will cost not less than $300/year, plus setup service (from few hundreds to few thousands).

Edited by fdsa
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, fdsa said:

If you don't care about privacy (that any staff member will be able to read your emails) then you could just host your domain on Google / gmail.com or any other email service, for free. You will need to pay for the domain name only - approx $10/year.

How would the email address look? I.e. would it be [email protected]?

36 minutes ago, fdsa said:

If you want some privacy then you will have to rent a dedicated server, and this will cost not less than $300/year, plus setup service (from few hundreds to few thousands).

Renting your own server does not guarantee privacy, similarly, using a commercial service does not necessarily mean it is not private.

The fact that OP is asking how to have an email on his own domain suggests that renting a dedicated server is not likely to be a suitable solution.

I think some domain registrars offer email for "free" (e.g. Ionos) or at least at a low cost when you register with them.

Do you have any preference on which app or web interface you use to access the email or is it not important?

1 minute ago, Roger That said:

Do you have any preference on which app or web interface you use to access the email or is it not important?

Just need to access it from both laptop and phone.

If I wanted a website in the future using the same domain though, would this be possible?

Yes, absolutely possible to have a website at a later date. 

Domain registration, email and web hosting are all separate services although you can get them through the same company if you wish.

ionos might be good for you - maybe check them out?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

How would the email address look? I.e. would it be [email protected]?

no, you could buy any domain name and "attach" it to Google. So you will login to gmail.com website with email like "[email protected]".

26 minutes ago, Roger That said:

Renting your own server does not guarantee privacy,

yes, it is extremely difficult to properly setup a server. I work in that field for a decade and know what I'm talking about.

But with proper setup the privacy will be guaranteed (with the only exception - NSA has backdoors on the hardware level so there is no protection against them)

28 minutes ago, Roger That said:

similarly, using a commercial service does not necessarily mean it is not private.

unless the commercial service gives you the full access to their server it _does_ mean that it is not private.

16 minutes ago, Roger That said:

Domain registration, email and web hosting are all separate services although you can get them through the same company if you wish.

yes, usually it is simpler to get all three services from the same company, but at higher cost.

Experienced webmasters usually get domains from one company and webhosting from another one (and email hosting from Google lol :biggrin: ) because this way it'll be much cheaper.

15 minutes ago, fdsa said:

Experienced webmasters usually get domains from one company and webhosting from another one (and email hosting from Google lol :biggrin: ) because this way it'll be much cheaper.

But if I do it that way (starting with the email hosting from Google) I might not be able to get a website which is the same domain name that's in my email .....

Right?

2 minutes ago, fdsa said:

no, you could host a website anywhere else, that's exactly the reason why people host email in one service and website in another.

But what I mean is the name I choose for my email (using Google as an email hosting provider) might be unavailable as a website URL, or expensive to buy.....

Edited by RickG16

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

But what I mean is the name I choose for my email (using Google as an email hosting provider) might be unavailable as a website URL, or expensive to buy.....

Once you register or purchase a domain, that is yours for the duration of a year, you can do whatever you feel with that domain.

When you get your web hosting or email hosting, you just point it at the domain you purchased.

Take a look, porkbun is as good as any. They are usually a couple of $ for the first year.

https://themeisle.com/blog/use-gmail-with-your-own-domain-name/

Edited by recom273

19 hours ago, RickG16 said:

I am looking at options for email hosting.

Ideally, I'd like to have some say over name of the domain (the @XXXXXXX.com) and give myself the option of having a website at some point in the future, but not necessarily now.

Anyone have any ideas? And ballpark price points?

Cheers

Check this out.

https://deedeehost.com/billing/index.php?rp=/store/shared-hosting