Government Confirms Songkran Celebrations to Proceed Next Month

snoop1130

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

Time to move on and stop pumping the fear. The UK is setting a great example, I spoke to my sister and she said it's pretty much over there. Yesterday's news. Back to normal, no masks, everyone just going about their lives.

Sadly the numbers are going up, infections, deaths and hospital admission.... but this is likely an expected consequence of lifting restrictions and rules.... and temporary, bringing herd immunity up. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

Totally agree.

Some people seem to be reluctant to accept that life must go on.

Yet no one follows what's truly occurring, even as we accept what's occurring and do try and move on. Songkran will bring more cases and that is a fact.

https://www.who.int/thailand/emergencies/novel-coronavirus-2019/situation-reports

• Like 2

Just now, jippytum said:

Funny how the government  wants some kudos for allowing Songkram to go ahead when in reality they couldn't stop the mass covid spreading migration across the country  if they wanted to.

Yes, my Mrs is making plans to go.... take a lot to deter her!

22 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

What do you propose? Perpetual lockdowns so we can eradicate risk/death completely and all live to be 95 years old in isolated misery? 

I propose the UK Government continue with their current strategy.....it is an exit plan. Who said anything about perpetual lockdowns except the conspiracy nutters, and you? 

• Like 1

Just now, TooMuchTime said:

Good.  Dirty farang who are afraid of covid can stay home in their 30sqm condo while normal people can have fun and party.

Thanks I will enjoy watching the water wars from my 156sqm condo.....we will enjoy spraying our kids here on one of the three large balconies while also sitting in my hot tub.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The spokesperson stressed, however, that the public must strictly adhere to "VUCA" or Vaccine, Universal Prevention, COVID-Free Setting, and antigen test kit (ATK) precautions during celebrations.

In previous years, most expats knew this protocol as simply "stay in your house/condo, safely away from the water-tossing MotherVUCA's", lol.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

Thanks I will enjoy watching the water wars from my 156sqm condo.....we will enjoy spraying our kids here on one of the three large balconies while also sitting in my hot tub.

Far too warm for hot tubs..... pop down to the pool.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TooMuchTime said:

Good.  Dirty farang who are afraid of covid can stay home in their 30sqm condo while normal people can have fun and party.

Cool, I'll take a jump in my swimming pool to get clean and enjoy the water that way along with my family.....????

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I propose the UK Government continue with their current strategy.....it is an exit plan. Who said anything about perpetual lockdowns except the conspiracy nutters, and you? 

Plenty of people on this post complaining about too much freedom over Songkran. Including one who just liked your post.

Every time the numbers spike they want a return to more restrictions. They just can't let it go, it's like they're addicted to it (when it suits them of course, not when they fancy a quick holiday in The States).

13 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Omicron is that infectious that by the time songkran gets here most people will have had it already (most wont even realise)   by then it will be well on the decline, its already started slowing,  pretty much the same as happened in uk around Christmas  . Sure there was an acute "Spike" and the amount of cases went through the roof but the death rate was comparable with flu.    150 / day    (yes yes i know every one is a "tragedy")  but lets get real 150 / day  or so people dying out of 70 million is not worth losing any sleep over especially when you take into consideration the difference between "from" Covid and "With" Covid  in which case the number of deaths is probably more like  15 / day    It certainly isn't a reason to ruin peoples lives and countries economies for.   So, can all the terrified people put their masks and /or visors on, get back in their safe houses and shut up ? The rest of us want to enjoy whats left before Putin nukes us

Where have you seen stats showing its slowing.  I think your not looking in the right spots.....Today is the highest for the year so far and we are well on our way upwards still.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Plenty of people on this post complaining about too much freedom over Songkran. Including one who just liked your post.

Every time the numbers spike they want a return to more restrictions. They just can't let it go, it's like they're addicted to it (when it suits them of course, not when they fancy a quick holiday in The States).

Where did i say i wanted the restrictions returned, you best learn to read instead of putting unwritten words in your post and trolling...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Thailand is not in the same situation as the UK.. it would be naïve to expect similar measures. You have some problem with people liking posts you disagree with....?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

It's never going away. We have to live with it. We can't stay restricted forever, lots of old people die from Flu every year as well but nobody locks down. 

Time to move on and stop pumping the fear. The UK is setting a great example, I spoke to my sister and she said it's pretty much over there. Yesterday's news. Back to normal, no masks, everyone just going about their lives.

If you don't like Songkran that's fine, I get it - stay home. No need to restart all the fear peddling and calls for restrictions. 

The UK had to set an example, because it's Government, led by lying Boris got caught out flagrantly breaking all their own Covid rules and restrictions. The critical press caused a public backlash that forced Boris to then cancel those same restrictions. Makes you wonder if all those laws that could be instantly repealed for political reasons weren't just stupid and arbitrary in the first place.?

Still, that's what is achievable when you have a free(ish) press and independent media.

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Where have you seen stats showing its slowing.  I think your not looking in the right spots.....Today is the highest for the year so far and we are well on our way upwards still.

It would seem the Omicron B variant has taken over, and while it protects from people catching Delta the vaxxes were not designed to cater for Omicron, so there will be less people protected, however how many vaxxes are taken - which IMO is also an immune system health concern. 

And then it will rely on people's natural immunity if they have recovered from Covid, but are still able to be infected, and general health as to whether hospital treatment is needed or not.

The worst medical condition that I understand for victims is a continuing bout of Long Covid caused by Omicron.  A friend of mine from the UK continues to be badly affected. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Thailand is not in the same situation as the UK.. it would be naïve to expect similar measures. You have some problem with people liking posts you disagree with....?

The number of cases in Thailand and the UK are very similar right now (60-70k per day). Everyone who wants a vaccine in Thailand has had the chance to have one. Omicron is the dominant variant in both countries. So what exactly is so different?

1 minute ago, huangnon said:

The UK had to set an example, because it's Government, led by lying Boris got caught out flagrantly breaking all their own Covid rules and restrictions. The critical press caused a public backlash that forced Boris to then cancel those same restrictions. Makes you wonder if all those laws that could be instantly repealed for political reasons weren't just stupid and arbitrary in the first place.?

Still, that's what is achievable when you have a free(ish) press and independent media.

Thai politicians have also been caught breaking the rules. Remember the maskless boozy lunch in Phuket shown below? EU politicians flying in for Euro 2020. They've all been at it, it's just the UK media thought they could use it to hang Boris out to dry, another failure it seems.

image.png.a2c4c63ceae7d368c5b4cdf1d236f833.png

Of course the rules are arbitrary and stupid. The mask wearing outdoors, the alcohol bans, the parks being closed, schools closed while pubs are open. Most of it has been nonsense. But some people love it for some weird reason.

Strangely enough it's been the hardcore leftists like Daniel Andrews, Trudeau, Sturgeon and Arderne who have shown the most fascistic undertones during this period.

• Like 1

Will be a good to reintroduce their children to their parents.... hope they remember their wallets for some reason it’s seen as a free for all around our house... .. I’ll have to remember to tell the beer shop

no tabs... it would be enjoyable if everyone carried their own weight.. seriously 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Strangely enough it's been the hardcore leftists like Daniel Andrews, Trudeau, Sturgeon and Arderne who have shown the most fascistic undertones during this period.

All "Young Leaders" from the World Economic Forum.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PJ71 said:

Sure, in no particular order:

- Horrible food

- Terrible annoying accent

- Big gun culture

- Bad typhoon season

- Awful public transport

- Lots of poverty

Only good thing about PI ( IMO ) is it has some amazing beaches, if that's your thing, Palawan and Boracay in particular stick out.

The girls speak English. I was in a club with my wife one time and the girls were hitting on me while I was sitting there with my arm around her. I think it's a fun place but Pork Adobo is the best they can do? Jeesh

2 hours ago, HighPriority said:

Why on earth would you think that ?

As the virus mutates/evolves it is of no benefit to its continued existence to become more pathogenic. Yes - it can happen - but by definition - an obligate pathogen that kills its host is less likely to transmit further.

The ‘normal’ scenario is increased rate of spread with reduced lethality - as we are seeing with Omicron.