The constant spending of millions of baht, building new temples and adding on to existent temples.

khaowong1

I spent six years as a Monk in Thailand.  I never understood why it was necessary to constantly spend millions of baht either building new temples or the constant adding on to existing temples instead of spending that money on the poor and really needy.  I've asked many senior monks and keep getting the same answer.  The people are making merit.  Wouldn't you think that by giving to help people in need for food, clothing, medical help, would gain more merit that building a new Buddha statue?  

Some years ago my wealthy family made substantial donations to a few temples in our home villages amounting to millions of Baht. Due to my position in the family I was expected to be present during the big ceremonies that ensued. It's part merit, it's part status building. I played along, but privately made my disgust clear to my wife and children. So much more good could have been done with the money, paying for a disadvantaged child to be educated for example.

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly
  • Like 2

On 3/9/2022 at 8:42 AM, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

Some years ago my wealthy family made substantial donations to a few temples in our home villages amounting to millions of Baht. Due to my position in the family I was expected to be present during the big ceremonies that ensued. It's part merit, it's part status building. I played along, but privately made my disgust clear to my wife and children. So much more good could have been done with the money, paying for a disadvantaged child to be educated for example.

Exactly.  I first became ordained in a very small country temple in Lopburi province. 2007.  We had 5 monks.  Very forest country looking.  I loved it.  Now it's a huge place, looks like a amusement park.  I will never understand this stuff.  

some temples do build hospitals and school in their kratin fundraising, 

maybe the grandiose does get people's foot in the door, it's part of being organized religion after all

it could give a sense of community, with everyone chipping in and all

it could be argued that building temple supports the arts, at least employ the local labourer in their seasonal downtime

but agree that in modern time, it's way too commercialized 

• Like 1

At the highest level this phenomenon is due to the 3 poisons.

• Greed
  • Aversion
  • Delusion

The people need Wisdom, Generosity, & Unconditional Love to overcome these poisons.

Things that are close to impossible to acquire.

Edited by rockyysdt
  • Like 1