Teenage cyclist crushed to death by 22 wheel truck - locals complain of terrible bottleneck on Route 314

webfact

9pm.jpg

Picture: 77kaoded

An 18 year old PT employee called Nonthakorn told 77kaoded a harrowing tale of what happened on Route 314 outside the gas yesterday in Chachoengsao.

He said he heard screams then turned to see that a 14-15 year old boy was lying in the road next to his yellow bicycle. 

A trucker coming up behind told Nonthakorn that the 22 wheel truck responsible had not stopped, just carried on.

He tried to run after it but it got away and he didn't know the registration plate.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

He said that the area is a terrible bottleneck caused by barriers and roadworks. Others agreed that it was terrible with every vehicle jostling for space especially during rush hours.

Police said that there was no ID on the boy but they thought he must be a local. They are trying to locate his folks and use CCTV to identify the driver and truck responsible for his death. 

Health insurance plans that meet the long stay visa requirements

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-03-10

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 8

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Police said that there was no ID on the boy but they thought he must be a local. They are trying to locate his folks and use CCTV to identify the driver and truck responsible for his death. 

Mandatory manslaughter for not stopping.

• Like 1

That poor kid. What a way to go. A 22 wheel truck? Did he even know? If he did he is lower than a snakes belly. But. Jostling, trying to manoeuvre that behemoth through a bottleneck of traffic, concentrating out the windscreen. He would hardly feel anything. if at all.

My sympathies are with his family and for a life taken way too soon. RIP son, I am so so sorry. ????

• Like 2

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Is this the underlying mentality of the nation?...   the majority of people thinking those below them are not worthy of consideration ?

I sometimes wonder.....  the attitudes are in direct contraction with the teachings many of the nation grow up with, is the Buddhism just a thin veneer covering an utterly careless society ?

Yes. The entire culture and society is based on where you are on the ladder. Used to be like that in my native UK 100 years ago or more. And Thailand is Buddhist in name only and bears little to no resemblance to the real thing.

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The general mentality of those using the roads in Thailand represents an extremely sorry picture. 

I sometimes consider that the underlying attitudes of a nation can be judged by the manner in which people use its roads.

The level of consideration and curtesy of those who don’t know each other show to each other when hidden by a windscreen and protected by a cage. 

In Thailand the manner in which those with either larger vehicles or vehicles of an elevated status assert their perceived superiority over others of a smaller or lesser status is despicable. 

Is this the underlying mentality of the nation?...   the majority of people thinking those below them are not worthy of consideration ?

I sometimes wonder.....  the attitudes are in direct contraction with the teachings many of the nation grow up with, is the Buddhism just a thin veneer covering an utterly careless society ?

Is this a Thailand Bash ??? - it most certainly is. An unashamed one at that.

Something happens to the mindset of people when they get in or on transport - its like a switch is flicked.

The attitudes of many on Thailands roads are utterly despicable and it tarnishes an otherwise lovely people.

I'm sorry to say but after more than 20 years living in LOS, I comparing this people with animals, it looks like they all living in there own world.

And I'm convinced it won't change soon.

3 hours ago, Asquith Production said:

To be honest the driver in such a large vehicle could be unaware that their had been a collision unless the driver was looking in his mirrors at the time he would not have felt his vehicle collide with a pedal biker

And that is the problem people elevated to drive such a large weapon and not taught to use their mirrior or to share the road. I've driven tracker traitor for a few years educating yourself in using slow down and share. Here some driver still think the are on motorbike in the end it is the government fault no enforcement that drivers are trained properly next companies who don't give a <deleted> because they need not be accountable. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

That's the biggest crime ...isn't it.....

The young mans death is the biggest crime .

Often a truck driver does not realize that they have run over a bicycle or a motorcycle . 

That is appliable to anywhere in the world that trucks share a road with bicycles and  motorcycles .

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Asquith Production said:

To be honest the driver in such a large vehicle could be unaware that their had been a collision unless the driver was looking in his mirrors at the time he would not have felt his vehicle collide with a pedal biker

This comes down to inadequate training, when i was taught HGV driving, I was told no matter what you pass even a pedestrian on a foot path, ( they could jump under your truck) check your mirrors to make sure you have passed safely, but TIT with no real test or capable instructors.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2022 at 1:17 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Is this a Thailand Bash ??? - it most certainly is. An unashamed one at that.

Something happens to the mindset of people when they get in or on transport - its like a switch is flicked.

I think it's more a statement of the sorry state of enforcement in Thailand.  If you did that stuff "back home", you'd be paying fines until you gathered enough points to lose your license. 

That's supported by 7 years of watching foreigners in Thailand going native when they know they won't be held accountable.  And they know better.  They had years of driving in the nanny states. 

All I'm reading is a lot of Thai bashing, as if this or even worst things don't happen in your home countries.

A simple, MVA, one the driver may not of even have known happened.  Apparent many others not noticing either, as how could not 1 person, not get the license number if bottlenecking was considered  contributory reason.  Hmm ... 

Maybe everyone was exhibiting mass microsleep syndrome. 

Edited by KhunLA

Traffic jostling for position , I am not surprised the lines on the road

seem very poor , I know they would still make their own lanes ,but

maybe if they could see lines they might stay inside them, 

Maybe the driver did not know he even hit the young lad, I have heard

of trucks pushing a small car along the road for miles , because the driver

could not see it, could happen here with all the curtains  and other

stuff restricting their views, all to keep the Sun out.

RIP young lad,you did not deserve to die this way.

regards worgeordie