Plug for electric jug gets very hot.

giddyup

We have one of those stainless steel jugs for boiling water where the plug has become very hot and even started to give off that burning plastic smell, so obviously have unplugged it. Never had this happen with a plug before. The plug cannot be taken off without cutting the lead if I wish to install another plug, but is it the plug at fault or is the jug itself causing the problem?

• Confused 1

Just now, Bagwain said:

Most likely low power coming in. It's called brownouts.

Wires heat up if this is the case!

Need to check in comming supply.

Nothing else is affected, electricity supply is fine.

36 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

It's usually the socket not making good electrical contact with the plug that's the problem.

The sockets don't last forever, extension lead sockets wear out very quickly.

It must be the plug, tried it in a different socket and it still gets very hot.

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

but is it the plug at fault

Also vote for the plug in combination with the socket.

What type of plug is it?

Photo would be good.

What power is the heater (2kW, 3kW?).

Does the cable get hot (warm always but can you keep it in the palm)?

• Like 1

I'd also consider the possibility that the cord is made of inadequate wire size.

Is that a new phenomena, or has it been going on since you bought it?    Seemed to be pretty common with electrical products in Asia.  I'd measure the diameter of the wire, look at the rated ampacity and figure out that it doesn't come close to meeting western safety standards. 

Keep in mind that there is an allowable temperature rise in a cable due to the rated current.  Cheap products often push that limit to save a few pennies on the cost.  And it also depends on the material of the insulation, whether it's plastic or rubber, etc.

• Like 1

Is it the kind that just boils the water and shuts off or does it keep the water hot as well?

Is the the bottom of the kettle heavily scaled? That might make it cycle too long/often.

It does bug that some (I won't mention the nationality) people insist on unplugging everything all the time. Even the pots that have the magnetic connector such that you do not have to unplug it from the wall. This just wears the receptacles out.

And is plugging and unplugging when people most often get electrocuted? 

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

I wish Schneider offered  receptacles configured like those. 

Do you mean actual Schneider branded receptacles or are you talking about Schuko receptacles. I ask because Schuko receptacles are reasonably easy to find, I have one wall full of these, the 2 pin is due to the size of the plate not allowing 2 Schuko receptacles side by side47A5B396-0B6F-4FA4-B862-918A8F0DB1AF.thumb.jpeg.53a87218a81137406971bc856b547a53.jpeg

Edited by sometimewoodworker

28 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Do you mean actual Schneider branded receptacles or are you talking about Schuko receptacles. I ask because Schuko receptacles are reasonably easy to find, I have one wall full of these, the 2 pin is due to the size of the plate not allowing 2 Schuko receptacles side by side47A5B396-0B6F-4FA4-B862-918A8F0DB1AF.thumb.jpeg.53a87218a81137406971bc856b547a53.jpeg

So how do you put a 'normal' 3 pin Thai plugin these please?

15 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Also vote for the plug in combination with the socket.

What type of plug is it?

Photo would be good.

What power is the heater (2kW, 3kW?).

Does the cable get hot (warm always but can you keep it in the palm)?

It's a 1500W jug, the plug is a sealed unit, nothing that can be dismantled, so the cord would need to be cut to install a new plug.

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Is it the kind that just boils the water and shuts off or does it keep the water hot as well?

Is the the bottom of the kettle heavily scaled? That might make it cycle too long/often.

It does bug that some (I won't mention the nationality) people insist on unplugging everything all the time. Even the pots that have the magnetic connector such that you do not have to unplug it from the wall. This just wears the receptacles out.

The jug shuts off once water has boiled. The jug always remained connected to the socket, it was rarely unplugged.

3 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Most modern kettles I have seen sit on a base unit which is permanently wired, no connector, and leave the wall plug in.

16 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Most modern kettles I have seen sit on a base unit which is permanently wired, no connector, and leave the wall plug in.

That's exactly what it does, but the wall plug gets hot.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Do you mean actual Schneider branded receptacles or are you talking about Schuko receptacles. I ask because Schuko receptacles are reasonably easy to find, I have one wall full of these, the 2 pin is due to the size of the plate not allowing 2 Schuko receptacles side by side

4 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Do you mean actual Schneider branded receptacles or are you talking about Schuko receptacles. I ask because Schuko receptacles are reasonably easy to find, I have one wall full of these, the 2 pin is due to the size of the plate not allowing 2 Schuko receptacles side by side

I meant the Schneider branded receptacles, but with the  holes oriented  such that the cords point down rather than into each other. 

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

That's exactly what it does, but the wall plug gets hot.

If the plug gets hot and not the wire, then the plug might have been damaged at some point.  If you have a watt meter installed or can determine the amp draw when the kettle is on, if it is more than about 7A there is likely some kind of fault in the plug.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2022 at 4:38 PM, giddyup said:

We have one of those stainless steel jugs for boiling water where the plug has become very hot and even started to give off that burning plastic smell, so obviously have unplugged it. Never had this happen with a plug before. The plug cannot be taken off without cutting the lead if I wish to install another plug, but is it the plug at fault or is the jug itself causing the problem?

Do you mean the jug end of the lead or the wall connector end.

Either way heat is caused by a poor connection and will eventually cause a fire which you probably already know.

The wall connector end could be down to a poorly made connection of house wiring to socket or the socket itself worn out.

If it's the other end then you will need a new lead.

If you can get to where the plug cable is connected to the base plate, suggest you just replace the whole cord.  Maybe you still have some other appliance that has died and can use the cord from that?  Or, ask around.  Somebody probably has a dead rice cooker you could scavenge.  

1 hour ago, longball53098 said:

It sure would be nice to see a photo or two of the offending jug and cord and plug and socket. 

It's an Imarflex brand. Here's a pic, mine looks the same, except plug gets hot. Does that help?

ca222c8ff67c9e0e3d23c26c1b27a685.jpg_2200x2200q80.jpg_.webp 35bd63d4dedad734e94ae978410291c0.jpg_2200x2200q80.jpg_.webp