Marriage extension using monthly deposits of 40+ THB per month with US SSA payment as source of deposit

I'm just curious if anyone out there uses a US Social Security deposit into their Thai bank as their proof of financial support for a Marriage Extension.  How does that deposit show up in the bank (foreign transfer or something else) and what is needed as far as bank letter to use those deposits to obtain an extension?

I use the monthly transfer from my US bank into my Bangkok Bank account via Wise. It arrives as a foreign funds transfer (Wise asks for reason of transfer ... select "for long term stay living expenses"). Each year for my retirement extension (thus 65K baht a month for me), the Bangkok Bank letter and fund deposits document meets the immigration requirements here in Chiang Mai. While my US Social Security might cover a marriage required amount (I receive $1380 SS monthly), we spend the 65K each month without much effort.

Edited by wwest5829
  • Like 1

I use DD of SSA into BBK. It comes in as FTT (as UbonJoe said). Since my SS is only about 60k/mon, I also do another monthly transfer of 25k using Wise into another BBK account so that my monthly income is 85k. The Wise transfer (using "funds for long term stay"...) also come in as FTT. 

8 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I use the DD of SS for -0- visa.  BkkBank, and just tell them you need statement for Imm and they print out your account.  And yes, it is tracked to prove in transferred in.  Tracking actually printed out, location to location.

I assume you mean credit advices that is not called tracking.

That depends upon how the SSA payments are sent. If transferred by ACH to Bangkok Bank in New York you do not need credit advices since they already shown as FTT transfers in your bank book and as a international transfer on a one year bank statement.

If you are using the IDP (international direct deposit) then you do need credit advises since they come in via the Bank of Thailand as baht.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I assume you mean credit advices that is not called tracking.

That depends upon how the SSA payments are sent. If transferred by ACH to Bangkok Bank in New York you do not need credit advices since they already shown as FTT transfers in your bank book and as a international transfer on a one year bank statement.

If you are using the IDP (international direct deposit) then you do need credit advises since they come in via the Bank of Thailand as baht.

Haven't a clue what the terminology is, but the print out shows the 'tracking' of funds.  SS is DD in local Thai BkkBank account, as I don't have a NY account.  If it goes via NY, not sure, as didn't pay attention, just noticed it makes the rounds when transferred in.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Are you using international direct deposit (IDP) for transfers into your Bangkok Bank account via their branch in New York?

If IDP they will not be shown as international transfers in bank book or statements. You need a credit advice for each transfer to prove they came from abroad.

If into Bangkok Bank they are shown as FTT transfers in your bank book and a statement. You will only need a one year bank statement.

I am using Bangkok Bank for my transfers and only need a year bank statement and a letter from the bank confirming my account.

I use the annual COLA letter I get in December from the SSA and the 1099 to prove the source of my income I get in January.

Does the 40k a month for extension have to come from abroad?

How about if you are working in Thailand and have a work permit?

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Haven't a clue what the terminology is, but the print out shows the 'tracking' of funds.  SS is DD in local Thai BkkBank account, as I don't have a NY account.  If it goes via NY, not sure, as didn't pay attention, just noticed it makes the rounds when transferred in.

A account at the New York branch is not needed or possible. The transfers go to the branch in New York by a ACH and they send it to Bangkok and they credit it to my account here.

I have a special direct deposit account here for them to to go into that was the only way to do it until the SSA added Thailand to the International Direct Deposit system in 2018.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

A account at the New York branch is not needed or possible. The transfers go to the branch in New York by a ACH and they send it to Bangkok and they credit it to my account.

I have a special direct deposit account here for them to to go into that was the only way to do it until the SSA added Thailand to the International Direct Deposit system in 2018.

Also only opened an acct. here, locally, and sent acct. info to SS / Manila, they did the rest.  Too easy, too convenient, since embassy too lazy to do anything for us.  Thankfully, as now save being scammed $50 a year.

Do I assume correctly that the SS payment can only be directed to a single bank account? It would be nice to split it between a US account and a Thai account. Also my understanding is that my Medicare payment will be taken out automatically and that I may choose to have tax withholding as well. If so can you set this to a fixed amount and is there a limit? I will be finally signing up at the beginning of next year.

21 minutes ago, grin said:

Do I assume correctly that the SS payment can only be directed to a single bank account? It would be nice to split it between a US account and a Thai account. Also my understanding is that my Medicare payment will be taken out automatically and that I may choose to have tax withholding as well. If so can you set this to a fixed amount and is there a limit? I will be finally signing up at the beginning of next year.

You can only have the SSA payment sent to one account.

If you will need to pay taxes they will deduct it from your payments at your request.

If you have a address for Thailand shown on your account you can opt out of part B medicare payments if you want to.

57 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Also only opened an acct. here, locally, and sent acct. info to SS / Manila, they did the rest.  Too easy, too convenient, since embassy too lazy to do anything for us.  Thankfully, as now save being scammed $50 a year.

That is the International Direct Deposits that was not available for here until 2018.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If you will need to pay taxes they will deduct it from your payments at your request.

If you have a address for Thailand shown on your account you can opt out of part B medicare payments if you want to.

However, note that if you do this and later return to the US and need to sign up for Part B, you will pay a higher premium due to a penalty and this is for life.

Also note that there are a number of preventive services you can get under Part B with no copay, which is useful if you return to the US for a visit every year or two (I get all my preventive care that way)

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is the International Direct Deposits that was not available for here until 2018.

I do believe you are correct.  Surprised why some folks still recommend you have to go through NY branch of BkkBank.  They simply add on fees that you don't need to pay.  Poor advice.

1 hour ago, 2009 said:

I thought for Marriage extensions, and unlike Retirement extensions, the minimum of 40K/month could be from anywhere, not necessarily from abroad.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I do believe you are correct.  Surprised why some folks still recommend you have to go through NY branch of BkkBank.  They simply add on fees that you don't need to pay.  Poor advice.

I had no choice when I first got my SSA set up other than transferring it into a bank in the US.

The fees for it is not really all that much dependent upon much is sent. It is $5 up to $2000 plus a 200 baht minim charged here or .25% for greater amounts.

The IDP payments are sent in Thai baht and sometimes the difference in exchange rates here can be equal to the fees charged.

I have not changed to IDP yet due to concerns about a payment being delayed in the process that could cause a problem when I apply for my extension. If I decided to change I would do it shortly after I apply for my extension so that if I one was missing I could apply for a 60 day extension to get to 12 months to apply for the next one year extension.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Are you using international direct deposit (IDP) for transfers into your Bangkok Bank account via their branch in New York?

If IDP they will not be shown as international transfers in bank book or statements. You need a credit advice for each transfer to prove they came from abroad.

If into Bangkok Bank they are shown as FTT transfers in your bank book and a statement. You will only need a one year bank statement.

I am using Bangkok Bank for my transfers and only need a year bank statement and a letter from the bank confirming my account.

I use the annual COLA letter I get in December from the SSA and the 1099 to prove the source of my income I get in January.

I have IDP going to Siam Commercial.  I prefer not to deal with Bangkok Bank.

So how do you get a Credit Advise for each transfer? Is that part of the annual bank letter or something different?  I don't know what a Credit Advise is. 

Has anyone done this at a Thai bank other than BKK Bank.

Edited by connda

23 minutes ago, connda said:

So how do you get a Credit Advise for each transfer? Is that part of the annual bank letter or something different?  I don't know what a Credit Advise is. 

You have to request a credit advice for each transfer.

This post in a ongoing topic has info about them. https://aseannow.com/topic/1253085-monthly-income-certificare/?do=findComment&comment=17239121

5 hours ago, 2009 said:

I have a Marriage Extension based on working income in Thailand, approved by Udon Thani Immigration. Before I lived in Pattaya, and I’m did not accept it …. 

So: Depends on where you live, and the mood of the Imm officer who deals with you …

21 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I found the IRS Form W4-V for withholding taxes from SS payments. You can request fixed percentages to be withheld for taxes, 7, 10, 12, or 22 percent. Or the form can be used to stop the withholding.

22 minutes ago, grin said:

I found the IRS Form W4-V for withholding taxes from SS payments. You can request fixed percentages to be withheld for taxes, 7, 10, 12, or 22 percent. Or the form can be used to stop the withholding.

That is the request I was writing about. They will not deduct any thing unless you send that form to them.

From the W4-V.

image.png.3e84250d807aa0dd3e3a109e718b8b13.png

20 hours ago, connda said:

I have IDP going to Siam Commercial.  I prefer not to deal with Bangkok Bank.

Has anyone done this at a Thai bank other than BKK Bank.

When I submitted the request for IDP of USA Soc Sec to Manila, I was told BkkBank only.  Actually submitted request using Thanachart Bank account, and was denied.  Whether that changed since (2yrs) not sure.

I use my US SS for 40,000 baht monthly deposit.

I opened an account with Bangkok bank and directed SS adm to deposit my monthly benefit to this account.

Each month SS makes the deposit. I get a credit advice from BKK bank showing dollar amount sent,  exchange rate, $10 fee on US side and 250 baht bank fee, and amount of net deposit to my account.

When I set up the account, the bank explained what I needed (bank book showing monthly deposits and Immigration requirement (statement from the bank) for renewal of marriage visa. 

Edited by nitehawk42