Thailand’s Chinese submarine order hits snag after Germany’s export embargo on MTU engines

webfact

Doesn't matter really, given the Thai attitude to maintenance, they wouldn't be active for long anyway.  The only question would be how many die when they go wrong, submarines aren't the most forgiving form of transport.

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

Orders galore Submarines, F35 and toys of high value, either Thailand has too much money to burn or they're preparing for war, stuff this country does no need, but no surprise as the government run by an army general who's been glued to his seat with no one mounting any opposition so far......

They’ve tried to mount opposition but he just changes the law to prevent them getting elected. 

Edited by davidkas
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Artisi said:

I've often wondered what a pureblood Thai is, has anyone ever done any DNA research, probably too hard to negate  the chinese, khmer, lao, Indian etc

Thailand is a mongrel country, with people from numerous neighbouring or not so neigbouring countries,  just like Britain (especially me!).  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Andycoops said:

That's what happens when your more interested in the brown envelopes than following the rules.

Germany refused to send the engines when it learnt of the so called deal and the end user was Thailand.

It's offered a couple of old used subs to bridge the gap but so far the Thais haven't taken them up on it.

Absulutely nothing to do with end user being Thailand.

German engines powering China's warships: EU arms ban ...

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Artisi said:

I've often wondered what a pureblood Thai is, has anyone ever done any DNA research, probably too hard to negate  the chinese, khmer, lao, Indian etc

If you watch Thai Television, along with advertisements—you’d think all Thai have pasty-white skin.  Not even close to reality.

• Like 2

With the current Thai administration committed to the introduction of electrically powered vehicles the submarines must not be fitted with infernal combustion engines especially diesel burners.

Take the subs as they are, offset the engine cost to ....er...commissions.... and install Thai made electric propulsion motors. By erecting a solar array above the hull which will protrude above the surface when the subs are submerged in the shallow Gulf of Thaiand the batteries can be charged. ????

Once, as former technical instructor to a foreign air force, I asked a student to explain the difference between AC and DC electric. He explained "AC electric runs through a wire but DC runs through a tube. That's why submarines can run under water" So, you see, no problem......????

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

Why does a Chinese-made submarine need German engines? There must be more to this story than we are told.

I know. It is because MTU is the world leading submarine diesel engines manufacturer known for its robust and reliability. Also MTU has supplied diesel engines to China for their navy in the past. Now you know. 

Edited by Eric Loh
wrong word
  • Thanks 1