Covid extensions after March 25?

1 hour ago, Daithi85 said:

Has something changed? Can people who were on volunteer visas and ed visas once again get covid extensions? 

You might if you can obtain a letter from your embassy requesting extension of stay.

Edited by zugzug123
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, zugzug123 said:

You might if you can obtain a letter from your embassy requesting extension of stay.

I'm not sure if that will be possible.

Perhaps directed at couple of countries. 

For the majority not relevant. 

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

For the majority not relevant. 

Agents can do an "embassy extension" right now for all passports, only requiring an embassy letter.

14 minutes ago, zugzug123 said:

Agents can do an "embassy extension" right now for all passports, only requiring an embassy letter.

I'm aware of what agents can do as per my posts re assisting couple of people at Hua Hin where that immigration office was requiring the "letter from embassy".

My post was referring to CE without use of agent. 

Screenshot_20220325-221200.jpg

Edited by DrJack54

3 hours ago, Daithi85 said:

Has something changed? Can people who were on volunteer visas and ed visas once again get covid extensions? 

The next few days/weeks will tell and as always, the individual IOs have shown to be inconsistent in how they choose to interpret the order.

9 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

It is written in the order that those that do not qualify for the 60 day covid 19 extensions can apply for a 30 day extension if they are able to get a letter from their embassy. That extension is in the the existing immigration order for extensions and immigration was doing them before the 60 day special extensions started.

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It written in the order that those that do not qualify for the 60 day covid 19 extensions can apply for a 30 day extension if they are able to get a letter from their embassy.

What form would that letter take.

I mean what would eg letter from USA embassy state. 

17 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

What form would that letter take.

I mean what would eg letter from USA embassy state. 

The letter would be one requesting immigration issue a 30 day extension for the named person in the letter.

There might be some examples posted when it was done before in 2020.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

The letter would be one requesting immigration issue a 30 day extension for the named person in the letter.

There might be some examples posted when it was done before in 2020.

@DrJack54 I haven't seen an example letter composed in the form of requesting this, but I believe the order that allows them to accommodate such request is this one. The term "necessity" seems to be so ambiguous as to allow this order to cover any special situations that could be interpreted as "necessitating" at least one more 30-day extension.
1243508829_ScreenShot2022-03-26at9_11_58AM.png.a4648b82ccf17c58642cfa7f21026a18.png

It's from a document translated back when AseanNow was still ThaiVisa.com.
PDF of it linked here

(order 2.28 is on page 13):  http://www.thaiembassy.cz/uploads/download/EwgNBPpX8T2vY5jxRdR.pdf

Edited by audaciousnomad

3 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

The term "necessity" seems to be so ambiguous as to allow this order to cover any special situations that could be interpreted as "necessitating" at least one more 30-day extension.

First thanks for the link and info.

Thinking my point was wondering how that would work in reality.

Would someone rocking up to eg Oz embassy any saying ....."I really really need to stay in Thailand.

It's a NECESSITY" .......

Don't think I would obtain a letter. 

12 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Would someone rocking up to eg Oz embassy any saying ....."I really really need to stay in Thailand.

I was able to obtain such a letter but I have a Russian passport. They just collected passport in batches from all requesting extension if stay and handed them out ???? It might not be so easy for other countries, a Canadian friend was rejected to receive the letter for example.

1 minute ago, zugzug123 said:

I was able to obtain such a letter but I have a Russian passport. They just collected passport in batches from all requesting extension if stay and handed them out ???? It might not be so easy for other countries, a Canadian friend was rejected to receive the letter for example.

In my initial post regarding this letter I stated the following ....

"I'm not sure if that will be possible.

Perhaps directed at couple of countries."

I was referring to the countries involved in war. 

Cant see a letter being provided to others. 

20 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Naturally.  Necessity would be evaluated by both OUR embassies and Thailand's immigration.  I suspect our own embassies would evaluate our requests for this letter under much more scrutiny now that we are more than 2 years into the pandemic. ????

Edited by audaciousnomad
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, audaciousnomad said:

Same with the USA. "Come back home and join the maskless masses". "Live free or die hard!"  :cheesy:

Oh dear now I'm thinking of Bruce Willis Die Hard.

To be fair to the USA, I think that they were the only embassy that provided some sort of letter to their citizens, when Mr Covid started.

Even if it was a letter of rejection.

Oz embassy did nothing. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Pi Sek said:

Koh Samui Immigration NOT issuing these extensions, even though they acknowledge the reversal of the decision to stop renewing non-immigrant visas by central Immigration Office (they have had no problems extending tourist visas).

The Chief Immigration Officer told me Chiang Mai can issue them because they are a "Head Office", but Koh Samui must wait on a letter of authorisation from Songkhla - which they have not received yet. She told me that they expect it to arrive to be able to made the CEs as of tomorrow (which means Monday) - but then, she told me yesterday that they expected it to arrive this morning!

So, they suggested two choices:

1) overstay illegally on Monday and *maybe* they can extend for 60 days then.

2) get a 7-day extension (which means you sign away your right to get the CE, even if it's available, and must leave the country) and go to Malaysia when their border opens on 1 April.

There was another option - to get a letter requesting a 30-day extension from my embassy - but my embassy is no longer making these letters.

The Chief Immigration Officer asked that I contact my embassy and tell them to complain to Thailand about this poorly-though-out series of events. My embassy told me they have no ability to do this.

Not impressed, all-round.

Update: Koh Samui Immigration were only issuing 7-day you-must-leave extensions yesterday until the mid-afternoon; when they started advising people to overstay illegally ???? until Monday.

On Monday, these overstayers can come in and get their 60-day extensions (regular 1,900 Baht fee + 1,500 Baht for 3 days' overstay). There is another form to fill in, you have to submit a GoogleMap screenshot, and two sets of documents instead of one.

13 minutes ago, Pi Sek said:

Update: Koh Samui Immigration were only issuing 7-day you-must-leave extensions yesterday until the mid-afternoon; when they started advising people to overstay illegally ???? until Monday.

On Monday, these overstayers can come in and get their 60-day extensions (regular 1,900 Baht fee + 1,500 Baht for 3 days' overstay). There is another form to fill in, you have to submit a GoogleMap screenshot, and two sets of documents instead of one.

It's not illegal if you pay ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Pi Sek said:

Ha ha ha...the clowns couldn't handle the last minute deluge of tourists applying, so they said "screw this, I want my Fri night Leos+Changs with my boys", and sent everyone home instead of processing them that day.  The staff should complain upwards to their bosses to at least announce a few days ahead to prevent this from happening. I doubt that will change, but it's what should be done. Or....tourists should just come early, else pay the price...for TIT. ????

Edited by audaciousnomad

On 3/25/2022 at 3:33 PM, RedArmy said:

Jack, i think that this is the same phrase that they used previously on many occasions.

Seems like this never really applied since they were giving the CE without any questions or extra paperwork at Chaeng Watthana. It was just as easy as a normal 30 day extension. Hope it stay that way, since there is no such thing as "not being able to return to home country due to covid". 

Not sure if I missed something here but why would someone need an embassy letter when they never asked for it up to now – at least not in CW (for people who entered on TR visas). We all know that the only two countries that could obtain such a letter are Ukraine and Russia and that has nothing to do with covid. There's no such thing as getting and embassy letter for the reason of not being able to travel back to home country because of covid restrictions and luckily the immigration hasn't been asking for those letters either. If they had, nobody would be getting any CEs.

7 minutes ago, ChomDo said:

Not sure if I missed something here but why would someone need an embassy letter when they never asked for it up to now

Read my earlier post regarding Hua Hin and attached message from some USA friends. 

HH wanted embassy letter. Affidavit not good enough.

You also mentioned CW.

Seems you were lucky. At one stage a flight ticket out was being demanded.

Lets wait and see what rubbish immigration come up with over next couple of months. 

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Read my earlier post regarding Hua Hin and attached message from some USA friends. 

HH wanted embassy letter. Affidavit not good enough.

You also mentioned CW.

Seems you were lucky. At one stage a flight ticket out was being demanded.

Lets wait and see what rubbish immigration come up with over next couple of months. 

Ok you're right I didn't get too deep into the topic but I know that CW has been very smooth with the CE's. I've done a few and read countless reports from others doing multiple CEs there. They ask nothing nor want to see anything extra – just as it should be in this case when covid is really not an obstacle for travelling anymore. They are even friendly these days which is a nice change haha.

But yes let's wait and see what reports we get from this new round of CE applications ????

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Indeed. 

Koh Samet is over run with tourists due to covid extensions.

Sunday is Samet busy day.

These photos couple hours back.

Screenshot_20220327-112255~2.jpg

Screenshot_20220327-112302~2.jpg

Beautiful but sad to see places so empty. Hope the government understands to drop all entry restrictions as most other countries already have.

5 minutes ago, ChomDo said:

Beautiful but sad to see places so empty. Hope the government understands to drop all entry restrictions as most other countries already have.

Indeed.

Australia is one country that had very onerous entrance requirements. 

Just recently announced....

"The federal government is ditching a requirement for overseas travellers to provide a negative COVID-19 test before they fly to Australia".

I believe no requirement for test to fly to Cambodia and Vietnam etc.

Surely Thailand Pass will get the flick soon.

12 minutes ago, ChomDo said:

We should be all enjoying these places while there nice and quiet, the quiet times won't last forever.

22 hours ago, Daithi85 said:

We should be all enjoying these places while there nice and quiet, the quiet times won't last forever.

That's for sure! Have been doing so and will travel again soon. Before covid, I thought Phuket was an awful place and now my opinions has totally changed after doing my Sandbox week on Patong Beach last October. What a beautiful beach without all that craziness.  

• Like 1