Thai Chamber of Commerce urges government to cancel pre arrival RT-PCR test to attract international arrivals

webfact

I am in agreement that people should be tested before boarding a flight to anywhere. They should have a quick test 

that they can do 5 days after arrival, just to make sure that they did not get infected during their flight.

Of course people have been out of work for a long time, and getting tourism going again is important

for most tropical countries, is important.  Most travelling people have at least been vaccinated, and they

will likely not get too sick even if they get the omicron or the latest variant of COVID.  Considering what else is happening besides COVID,

we should all go on vacation somewhere, before the big bombs start to drop.  After all do you think the unstable Putin will not

use Nukes, if he cannot make Ukraine surrender to him? In My Opinion of course.

29 minutes ago, BusyB said:

It's not the PRE-arrival test I worry about, it's the POST-arrival one ... that's the one they can cash in on even if the insurance won't pay.

No thanks.

(Pre arrival I can simply rebook.)

Is there an insurance policy that DOES pay?

8 hours ago, zzzzz said:

New travel rules for travellers entering Cambodia: 
No tests before arrival -
No tests upon or after arrival -
No insurance
Open visa on arrival -

Unvaccinated travelers required 14-day quarantine

should apply to Thailand as well!!!

Is there a requirement for unvaccinated travellers to be pre tested prior to boarding,and travelling to Cambodia with vaccinated passengers? Which would seem to be the logical sequence of events.

12 hours ago, DFPhuket said:

The article states, "the TCC urged the government to relax the “Test&Go” scheme by revoking the RT-PCR testing within 72 hours before entering the country and only doing the test on the day of arrival."

It should be the opposite - keep the pre-departure test and drop the arrival test. I want to know if I have Covid before getting on the plane and delay my trip. I do want not find out I'm positive upon arrival and face quarantine. That's what they are doing in the Philippines.

That sounds logical provided there are no fake Covid test certs. 

If somebody were to arrive in Thailand with a fake Covid test cert, he would be spreading the virus.

It's impossible for Thailand to know which are real and which are fake test certs so they rely on their own test which is more reliable.

Of course you can also do another Covid test before your flight first before booking the ticket.

The only thing they need to do is to scrap the 5th day ATK test.

Edited by EricTh

13 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Would be nice to understand the IDB/cancellation figures as the result of a positive pre-departure test?

Once countries drop testing requirements I can see airlines requiring them. Most airline passengers assume everyone is tested. 

Without that guarantee airline travel may dip for a while.

There are no Covid tests required for fully vaccinated people holidaying in the main European destinations as far as I'm aware. For example, a UK citizen flying to / from Spain, Canary Islands etc., zero Covid tests are required on either leg of the journey. 

Those countries understand that once the virus is already widespread, testing incoming tourists is pointless. And I can't see airlines putting unnecessary barriers in the way, given that most airline businesses are on life support. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, zzzzz said:

New travel rules for travellers entering Cambodia: 
No tests before arrival -
No tests upon or after arrival -
No insurance
Open visa on arrival -

Unvaccinated travelers required 14-day quarantine

should apply to Thailand as well!!!

If travelling to Cambodia via BKK, will people still face the danger of being captured by the Covid gestapo at Swampy during transit? 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Do you think first or just post the first thing that comes into your head?

Also, there are no such things as ' farang countries ' where do you get your information?

Western countries have far higher and far better vaccination rates with better quality vaccines than Thailand and it's neighbors which have predominantly used the Chinese vaccines. And where is Covid raging now?.......................... China and Hong Kong.

Your post is just daft.

No 'farang countries'?  Where do 'farangs' come from?  We should consult Thais, I suppose.

On per capita basis, New Zealand, once touted as the "most successful" country coping with covid, has higher rate than USA ever had.  And USA had  much higher rate than China ever had.  Europe is still doing poorly. 

Keep Thailand for Thais and let Thais decide what they want to do in their country.

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, impulse said:

So, what you're saying is "I'm all right Jack.  My family's fine".

Unlike the millions of Thai families that depend on tourism to put food on the table. 

That's why restrictions and lockdowns are also popular with gub'ment employees, who never missed a single paycheck on account of their decisions and policies.  Not so popular with millions of families...

There's millions of us that would love to return to Thailand.  But won't jump through the barriers to entry, nor risk the draconian treatment that could happen if we tested positive somewhere along the way.  (As if that would make things worse than they already are)  Customers that don't have a compelling reason to return, but would happily spend our time and sweaty tourist cash in Thailand...

I don't think there is one Thai family that lacks food on the table because of lack of tourists.  Maybe they cannot get new scooter/car every year, but that's too bad.

Tourism only encourages greed and laziness, in any country/culture, not only Thailand, even though it may be a prime example of it.

The point of the original post is that hard working people who didn't wait for farang dollars to fall into their laps are doing fine.  Kudos to them.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, farangnomore said:

The point of the original post is that hard working people who didn't wait for farang dollars to fall into their laps are doing fine.  Kudos to them.

Are you referring to any particular group of people who don't work hard in the tourist industry and waited for the tourist $ to fall into their laps  ?

There are many people who work hard in the tourist industry , although those that work in the sex industry don't work as hard as those that don't 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Do you think first or just post the first thing that comes into your head?

Also, there are no such things as ' farang countries ' where do you get your information?

Western countries have far higher and far better vaccination rates with better quality vaccines than Thailand and it's neighbors which have predominantly used the Chinese vaccines. And where is Covid raging now?.......................... China and Hong Kong.

Your post is just daft.

According to WA Health statistics, 94.8 per cent of the over-12 population is double-vaccinated, including more than 99 per cent of the over-50s for whom COVID-19 is most dangerous.

I want them to keep it in place.  Chiang Mai has been much nicer without the bustle of tourist now that so many of the business have be crushed.  Now that the government has manage to kill small and medium businesses - let's just keep it this way for good.  New business that are not tourism oriented will open.

10 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Are you referring to any particular group of people who don't work hard in the tourist industry and waited for the tourist $ to fall into their laps  ?

There are many people who work hard in the tourist industry , although those that work in the sex industry don't work as hard as those that don't 

I don't entirely agree with that,they work their a$$e$ when i hire them ????????????

• Haha 1