Bangkok Banks Dreadful Service.

I am just about to make my third visit to my local Bangkok Bank which is 15k from my home. When I try to use my debit card online a notice comes up saying  " your card is temporary disabled for online authentication" this has been going on for two weeks now, in that time I have visited the bank on two occasions, both times being told everything is now fixed, emailed them on another two occasions and had no answer.

What else can I do?

ALL Bangkok Bank debit cards were blocked for a while

It was due to the extensive fraud and quite a few withdrawals from many accounts.
It had also caught me!
But this is over for a few days!
Since the branch will have probably slept through the activation.
For this reason, I have issued a VISA credit card, since such a thing does not happen!

1 minute ago, Richard 2020 said:

ALL Bangkok Bank debit cards were blocked for a while

It was due to the extensive fraud and quite a few withdrawals from many accounts.
It had also caught me!
But this is over for a few days!
Since the branch will have probably slept through the activation.
For this reason, I have issued a VISA credit card, since such a thing does not happen!

Both my Bangkok Bank and UK bank are Mastercard. This is a full fortnight now. my last BB debit card was Visa, now I have a new Mastercard.

6 minutes ago, Richard 2020 said:

Bangkok Bank no longer works with VISA as a DEBIT CARD!
Mastercard only!
The question is, Do you have a debit card, then like ALL Bangko Bank debit cards, it has been blocked!
A DEBIT CARD with the Mastercard symbol is not a CREDIT CARD!!

Sorry, I meant to say debit card, not credit card.

Edited by possum1931

39 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

What else can I do?

41 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

in that time I have visited the bank on two occasions

Don't leave the branch until you've confirmed the card works in the ATM inside/outside the branch.

3 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Don't leave the branch until you've confirmed the card works in the ATM inside/outside the branch.

OK, but if it works in the ATM, does that mean it will work online? I can use it OK in the likes of Big C.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

OK, but if it works in the ATM, does that mean it will work online? I can use it OK in the likes of Big C.

Mine works in ATM's but is frequently refused online and occasionally by the likes of Big C and Lotus.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, tonray said:

I have found different branches vary greatly in service levels.

That is right.  In a way that you don't necessarily find in say the UK (they are all universally terrible there) it is very Branch, and sometimes individual teller, dependent.  I find my SCB bank is good,  up to a point and only for very straightforward services and the online service is also easy to use and navigate. SCB seem to be slightly ahead of the game in terms of expat service, but that could be just my branch, which is not too far from the local Immigration Office and therefore used to farangs and their needs.   

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I did go to the Bank to sort out my card being refused occasionally and the teller gave me her phone and told me to ring Customer Services......no one answered.

4 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

does that mean it will work online?

Sorry, I missed the online part. 

Previously you could use this card online? And then you couldn't?

There have been quite a few reports of new local verification systems causing purchases to be blocked.

And there is a Bangkok Bank employee who participates here, so they might PM you.

1 minute ago, Will B Good said:

I did go to the Bank to sort out my card being refused occasionally and the teller gave me her phone and told me to ring Customer Services......no one answered.

That is not surprising, this is BB we are talking about.

• Haha 1

I get a bit nervous when I realise how very  dependent I am on three cards, SCB debit, RBS UK Debit and the fall back RBS UK Credit card and on one UK phone. If any one of those, or a combination, I can be left without any immediate funds.  It has happened and no doubt will happen again.  Redundancy is the answer of course, but that can get expensive.  You can't cover all eventualities.  Just last week, my RBS card would not work in the card reader, which I needed to top up my Thai account ready for my extension renewal.  It took a UK phone call and 60 pounds of call value to get that fixed.  That could have been very embarrassing. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Sorry, I missed the online part. 

Previously you could use this card online? And then you couldn't?

There have been quite a few reports of new local verification systems causing purchases to be blocked.

And there is a Bangkok Bank employee who participates here, so they might PM you.

I don't know, it is just a new card, I could not use it with Lazada, but could use it in Big C. Hope to get that PM.

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

What else can I do?

Dunno about you but wife telephones them if I have problem.

That said my Bkk Bank in New Sukhothai has been OK they text me if something is happening. 

The small associated branch in I use in Big C is good never have to wait. 

2 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

is there a better recommended thai bank?  I was going to open an account here soon.

I would only say it's not necessary what Bank is the best it's what branch near where you live is recommended.

• Like 2

And for years that I have closed everything with the Bangkok Bank because the problems have become insurmountable and the English of the lady with whom I was in telephone relation to solve my problems was incomprehensible.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

mostly it is not the bank but the workers in each individual branch... I do like kasi for my money transfers in to Thailand... 

He should have surveyed the various branches surely....... before moving near one?

• Haha 1

Never had a problem using CASH (remember that) at Big C

or any other stores and even COD from LaZaDa , Shoppe ,

Less problem's when you live in the past.......???? things were

simpler then.

gad Worgeordie

• Like 2

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

Both my Bangkok Bank and UK bank are Mastercard. This is a full fortnight now. my last BB debit card was Visa, now I have a new Mastercard.

Yes, widely known that Bangkok Bank do not use visa debit cards, they now isue Mastercard and Union Pay cards.