With Vietnam now apparently open with similar requirements as Cambodia, which is better for a "border run", Vietnam or Cambodia?

33 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

Sorry to ask but what do you mean by not easy?

Easy was rocking up to the border filling in a form for your visa then toddling across time, about 10 minutes cost about 1,500 Baht, on return nothing.

not easy, covid test & insurance before, possible covid test after, then to return covid test & insurance before & after entry covid test with compulsory hotel stay and possible 2nd test requirements. All that along with a potential 2 week stay on either side if the after tests are positive.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

First up...thanks for the report.

So with regards your negative test. What happens if it's positive? 

Isolation, around 10 days. ????  Where gets complicated. If your booked accommodation will take you then you can isolate there, also some hotels will take isolating guests who have not booked.  There are also government isolation facilities which are free, but basic as I understand. There is a FB group which covers this in some detail.

Edited by Homburg
Incorrect term used.
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Homburg said:

There are also government quarantine facilities which are free, but basic as I understand

Think this is the bit that people should be aware of.

My understanding is that in your sentence (that I quoted) the word "BASIC" could be in bold capitals. 

This Omicron bloke likes to share.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, problemfarang said:

Sorry to ask but what do you mean by not easy? Do you mean like to decide to open or not OR like crossing the border. I asked because might need a trip to laos soon.

It will not be easy compared to before. It will not be a simple border hop now. 

There will be covid 19 tests plus the requirement to be fully vaccinated and etc.

8 minutes ago, Homburg said:

I don't know how basic, but given that it's free and not the only alternative, I don't see it as a biggie.  I see the risk of a positive test in LOS, and an enforced stay in a surprisingly expensive Thai hospital with no chance to claim on insurance if asymptomatic, as far more of a concern, or did I get that wrong?

Currently you are given opportunity to stay in hotel if they accept. 

Here is message from USA couple.

Wife tested positive during her stay. Not on arrival. 

Not sure what Cambodia does. 

Screenshot_20220318-092242.jpg

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Crazy.  The pre-departure is logical and airlines might even ask for it regardless.  The test upon arrival with the associated hotel stay is the one that needs to go.

But where will the hospitals recoup all their lost revenue? ???? 

I just signed a lease here for a year so when they denied me a covid extension, I had to go into hyperdrive to find a solution to remain in Thailand.

Options were find a long term visa (i'm under 50, and been here almost 2 years) where I DIDN"T have to leave, or make a visa run.

I gave serious thought to doing a visa run, but after talking to several people that still like to bop around even during covid,

it was going to cost me minimum of 20,000 to 25,000 to do a run, plus all the time spent doing paperwork, and time traveling, plus the risk of being asymptomatic and being charged an additional 100,000.

So, after sweeping the nation of agents (locally I could not get ANYTHING fair...lowest quote was 90,000), FB started sending me ads and I interviewed every agent that hit my feed.

I ended up finding an ED visa where I don't have to leave for 40,000 for 9 months.  

It was supposed to be 50,000 for a year, but as Thailand does, over the weekend that I submitted my paperwork and passport to when they "could start". they lowered the amount of time native English speaking people could apply for.

Took me about 40 interviews to find.  So, yes, their are options out there if you comb thru the haystack.

They also had 3 month options for 25,000 at the time (March 2nd).

I opted for the ease of not having to leave Thailand, the tests, the 'gamble', or all the paperwork, and not to stress again for quite awhile.  

However, if you like to travel and want a vacation, it's a wash financially and you get a vacation too.

*If the land borders were open, I probably would have done the run.

21 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

If the land borders were open, I probably would have done the run

For sure 

It's all about buying time till travel either via air or land borders become semi normal.

Couple of border runs with extensions will hopefully provide options. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, audaciousnomad said:

No free visas for Vietnam.

That is correct for US citizens, however FREE VIETNAM VISAS for 15 days are now available to these citizens:-

Citizens from Belarus, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Norway, Russia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, and the U.K. will be allowed to visit Vietnam for up to 15 days without a visa regardless of passport type and entry purpose.

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/travel/vietnam-resumes-visa-exemption-for-13-countries-4438981.html

• Thanks 1

On 3/18/2022 at 8:50 AM, sometimewoodworker said:

Easy was rocking up to the border filling in a form for your visa then toddling across time, about 10 minutes cost about 1,500 Baht, on return nothing.

not easy, covid test & insurance before, possible covid test after, then to return covid test & insurance before & after entry covid test with compulsory hotel stay and possible 2nd test requirements. All that along with a potential 2 week stay on either side if the after tests are positive.

and as far as Laos goes...staying in a Government Approved Hotel and only being able to travel with government approved guides and drivers. (at this point in time)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, teelac777 said:

Vietnam just started issuing evisas again.

I made inquiry with agent in Vietnam and yes can only apply using eVisa.

My problem is that I would only be interested in obtaining a 3 month multiple entry.

Seems that is currently not available.