Should I buy Elite visa ?

I am new to this forum. Please can I have some advice. I am in my late 40's, I came to Thailand March 2020, just as Covid hit, ended up staying longer, so had an ED Visa and then an agent volunteer extension visa, which I have read about here might cause a problem. I stayed in Thailand for a total of 22 months. Volunteer visa has expired on exiting country.

I have left Thailand now but I want to return just 6 weeks after leaving and possibly get another ED visa to learn more Thai. I will enter on a visa exempt.

I can afford the Elite Visa, but I'm not sure if it's worth it, other than stoping me worry at Immigration after reading some things on this forum. Also I will be entering on a new passport.

Any advice on how to handle this?

Thanks

• Like 1

elite visa is good if you can spare the cash I think. Also re the volunteer visa, just recently my gf was scolded over the phone as she wanted to ask if I could get another extension (tried saving in agent fees) by a very caffeinated female immigration worker that it's not a real visa, you just pay money, etc, which I found funny. Also various immigration officers saw this visa in my passport, and they all knew that you just payed an agent, but that's the extent of it.

this is just personal speculation on my part after dealing with multiple immigration officials with this visa: they know you payed an agent to get an easy  visa, but I don't think it's illegal so they can't really do anything. So, personally I think if you enter with a new passport, and do the elite visa thing, they won't give you any more issues than if you'd stayed the whole time on covid extensions, which is probably

just as dodgy.

And I'm only saying new passport because you said that's what you gonna do, but even with a new passport, all your visas, extensions and exits/entries are in their computer system, so they'll probably know all about it either way. 

Edited by zugzug123

see ANY schools website and they'll tell you the process to get your next ED visa.  Should be no problem.

But check different schools in ADVANCE and ask if they can guarantee getting you the visa, then start process immediately when you get in (it takes 3 weeks processing or more).

My passport looks much like yours, and 2 years here (including the dreaded volunteer), except I stayed inside thailand while seeking a VISA.

Many rejected me due to having the "V"

I eventually found one and got  my 9 month ED visa.  It cost 40k.  (I was even on overstay already)

I received written guarantee upfront, and made two payments, half to start and half upon completion.

Just vet your agent/ school as much as you can prior.  You'll have no problem I think.

17 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

see ANY schools website and they'll tell you the process to get your next ED visa.  Should be no problem.

But check different schools in ADVANCE and ask if they can guarantee getting you the visa, then start process immediately when you get in (it takes 3 weeks processing or more).

My passport looks much like yours, and 2 years here (including the dreaded volunteer), except I stayed inside thailand while seeking a VISA.

Many rejected me due to having the "V"

I eventually found one and got  my 9 month ED visa.  It cost 40k.  (I was even on overstay already)

I received written guarantee upfront, and made two payments, half to start and half upon completion.

Just vet your agent/ school as much as you can prior.  You'll have no problem I think.

That is because it's not possible to convert a volunteer to an ED, real or dodgy. So congrats on achieving that. 

You can buy the 5 year Easy Access for 600K and upgrade it for an additional 15 years at another 400K. (Superiority Extension)

Or you can fork out 1 Mill and get the 20 years straight away.

What if you paid 500K for the original package as of last year? Is it still only 400K for the upgrade?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zugzug123 said:

That is because it's not possible to convert a volunteer to an ED, real or dodgy. So congrats on achieving that. 

Please show us where it states that as official Thailand policy in the year 2022 nationally.

Edited by Dart12

I have a few years left until hitting 50, but I just though that it costs 50-70k for education visa and Elite will cost 120k / year for 5 years, then if you extend after 5 years (400k), the Elite visa is costing 50k/year fixed over the term of 20 years. I think it's a long term investment in that sense as you know the cost, but still has risk.

Would there be a chance of being denied entry with being in Thailand during the COVID period (nearly 2 years), and then returning on a holiday 6-8 weeks later?

I'll decide soon, thanks for comments.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, thepixies said:

I have a few years left until hitting 50, but I just though that it costs 50-70k for education visa and Elite will cost 120k / year for 5 years, then if you extend after 5 years (400k), the Elite visa is costing 50k/year fixed over the term of 20 years. I think it's a long term investment in that sense as you know the cost, but still has risk.

Would there be a chance of being denied entry with being in Thailand during the COVID period (nearly 2 years), and then returning on a holiday 6-8 weeks later?

I'll decide soon, thanks for comments.

That makes sense... if only comparing to ED visas long term,

but How much are retirement visas yearly?

But yes, you can come in and get an ED visa for about the price you said.  I'm told they are not doing year long visas any more for native  English speaking countries. 

My quote was 50k for a year ED visa , then over the weekend after turning in all my docs and passport, Immigration changed rules to that I could max get a 9 month ED Visa (40k). 

You coming in with fresh tourist or exempt visa, I seen many for schools advertising for 36k to do the work.

2 hours ago, Dart12 said:

That is not the correct question. You should ask yourself

1. What are the conditions for retirement extensions likely to be five, ten, twenty years from now? How confident am I that my guess on this is correct? (Bear in mind that the headline number on financial proof has not changed in about 20 years.)
  2. Will the Elite visa option (and at the same price) still be available if I decide I want it in a few years? Is knowing my total required investment for an easy 20-year stay worth paying a risk premium over the best case scenario not using an Elite membership?

As against that, there is the obvious issue that you are locking yourself into a long term commitment. If you change your mind, and depart Thailand, your investment is lost.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BritTim said:

That is not the correct question. You should ask yourself

1. What are the conditions for retirement extensions likely to be five, ten, twenty years from now? How confident am I that my guess on this is correct? (Bear in mind that the headline number on financial proof has not changed in about 20 years.)
  2. Will the Elite visa option (and at the same price) still be available if I decide I want it in a few years? Is knowing my total required investment for an easy 20-year stay worth paying a risk premium over the best case scenario not using an Elite membership?

As against that, there is the obvious issue that you are locking yourself into a long term commitment. If you change your mind, and depart Thailand, your investment is lost.

good questions.

10 minutes ago, BritTim said:

As against that, there is the obvious issue that you are locking yourself into a long term commitment. If you change your mind, and depart Thailand, your investment is lost

Very valid point.

Being on the older side of young, I have always thought that if something popped up (health being the obvious one) then run off back home to Oz. 

Having invested in 20yr PE would leave sour grapes. 

Yes I believe they can be on sold? 

Edited by DrJack54

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Very valid point.

Being on the older side of young, I have always thought that if something popped up (health being the obvious one) then run off back home to Oz. 

Having invested in 20yr PE would leave sour grapes. 

For many, the prospect of leaving Thailand when old and frail would definitely be a deterrent. For me, that is not a factor. If I become old and ill, I will stay in Thailand if at all possible. It may be different in Australia, but I have seen the care home options in the UK, and the long delays in getting health treatment that can improve quality of life. I do worry slightly about palliative care in Thailand if you have a very painful terminal condition. That is not an area where Thailand is strong. However, if my condition is terminal, I am not going to worry too much about losing my investment in the Thailand Elite membership. Anything short of that, and I can be better taken care of in Thailand, whether via home help or moving to a care home.

3 hours ago, Dart12 said:

That makes sense... if only comparing to ED visas long term,

But yes, you can come in and get an ED visa for about the price you said.  I'm told they are not doing year long visas any more for native  English speaking countries. 

My quote was 50k for a year ED visa , then over the weekend after turning in all my docs and passport, Immigration changed rules to that I could max get a 9 month ED Visa (40k). 

You coming in with fresh tourist or exempt visa, I seen many for schools advertising for 36k to do the work.

1900 baht to renew an O extension and it is legal.

I see the agency visas getting shut down soon. That will be part of the Thaipass system. They arre rejecting covid extensions on E and V visas to force people to restart now.

11 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Only the top end Elite visas can be transferred.

For example this one can be transferred. https://www.thailandelite.com/at-your-service/card/elite-ultimate-privilege-membership?locate=en&popup=false

And this one that cannot be transferred. https://www.thailandelite.com/at-your-service/card/elite-superiority-extension-membership?locate=en&popup=false

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, cjinchiangrai said:

1900 baht to renew an O extension and it is legal.

I see the agency visas getting shut down soon. That will be part of the Thaipass system. They arre rejecting covid extensions on E and V visas to force people to restart now.

They are not rejecting everywhere.  It's NOT a law they have to.  It's up to individudal immigration offices to act however they decide.

Once I looked outside of my local immigration office area, I found many available Visas to be had even though I had a volunteer visa.

But yes, that was a pleasant surprise for people  that got ahead of the situation and did what the government requested before rolling out amnesties when the pandemic kicked in: 

Sorry, yes we announced extending covid extensions (cause covid so dangerous), but if you been here awhile we are going to reject you at the office, because, well it must not be dangerous for you.

1900 for  Retirement visa?  I'm probably reading that wrong.

I honestly have no idea if Thailand going to do away with agencies.  Seems well too ingrained in the system though to happen.

Repeat, the school and agency I chose had no problem getting me an ED visa, and I paid the  standard going rate to the the school as if I just came into Thailand yesterday on a new visa.  

On 3/20/2022 at 7:25 AM, DrJack54 said:

Simple answer.

All depends on how long you wish to remain in Thailand. 

If it's 5 years up then PE Visa excellent option.

Some can't afford the 600k tag. 

From what I understand, if you leave and re-enter Thailand just before the 5th year expires, you should get a 1-year extension. So it should be possible to stay close to 6 years with the 5 year Elite visa.

20 hours ago, ukrules said:

Also if it turns out that you really like staying in Thailand you can 'upgrade' the visa to the 20 year model for 400k Baht which is the difference between the current price of the Easy Access 5 year version and the 20 year 'Superiority Extension'.

That way you can just sit back and won't have to much at all for a full 20 years apart from the usual 90 day reports, yearly extensions and 5 yearly new visa insertions.

I plan to upgrade my current 5 year visa to the 20 year option, that will cover me until 2040 which is nice.

I am also tempted to extend to 20 year. If I do this in the next couple of months I still get a 100.000 THB discount (basically old price total). 

The visa has been really convenient for me. Back in Pattaya I was always a bit annoyed while dealing with immigration. Every time they'd find something wrong with some ED extension or some such and I'd have to come home and arrange something later that day, perhaps the next day. It wasn't fun and quite stressful. I always thought they were looking for some bribe to smooth the process, but not sure.

Either way with my Thailand Elite visa I never had any problems. But, I only went to Chiang Mai immigration with my Elite visa the last couple of years, so perhaps the people in Chiang Mai immigration are also more easy going than Pattaya immigration.