Air Fryers

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Not debating they're not cute little ovens, and handy if not cooking a lot or don't have a lot a space.  

But .. it's still just an oven, nothing more, nothing less, and we cook too much to try to work with something that small  Our oven is 70L, or we'll use the toaster oven, if cooking something small.  All do the same thing.  Actually, most of my cooking is done with the cast irons.

Most people in Thailand don't have an oven let alone they know what it is, it looks like you live in a house like I used to do, when I build my kitchen nobody knew what a oven was and I don't think a lot of people living in condos have an oven or even allowed to install one, so an air fryer is a handy little oven to have and a bit more healthy as well. And if you live alone they quiet handy and don't take up to much room. I don't use mine every day since I live alone now, and yes for a single person it is OK just a small one but for a family with children you can go for the bigger size, kids love KFC which you can cook in the air fryer. But every body is different. So I say it is up to you. By the way since I used my air fryer I lost a bit of weight, but I have not cut down on my wine consumption at night. This is just my opinion OK

• Like 2

I skipped the air fryer phase and went directly to the convection toaster oven. Equivalent functionality doing air frying but the larger toaster oven comes in handy, especially if you don't have an oven already.

I chose a Breville. The model I picked had no air fryer tray, but with the one with the tray costing significantly more, it was cheaper to get this one and the tray separately.

Breville is quite pricey, but it is one of the best available.

My friend's air fryer tops out at 200 C while my Breville tops out at 230 C.

Cooking tip: cook at around 5-10% lower temp and 5-10% shorter time than recommended for a regular oven.

Here's a link to the one with an air fryer tray: https://www.ubuy.co.th/en/catalog/product/view/id/8433360/s/breville-bov900bss-the-smart-oven-air-si/

I love mine.  Don't know what I would do without it now.  My advice is to just get a really cheap one if you haven't owned one before and avoid the small ones.  It should be medium size at a minimum because you need lots of space around the food to allow the air to circulate.  Get a proper cylindrical one designed specifically for air frying.  Not those toaster ovens that try do both.

Just about anything you can make in a frying pan can be made in an air fryer and doesn't need much if any oil.  I even use it to make toast.  It cooks meat really well.  Crispy on the outside and tender/juicy on the inside.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

My oven does that.  Air fryer = convection oven.  Heats the air with a fan.  Most ovens do the exact same thing.  What does that do differently ?

Looks like a nicer one, like the rotisserie option.

"What is an air fryer?

The air fryer is essentially an amped-up countertop convection oven—it doesn’t actually fry your food."

https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/what-is-an-air-fryer/

You actually have that one, or simply taking photos of the internet,  It's even called 'countertop oven' in promo:

"Best Choice Products 16.9qt 1800W 10-in-1 Family Size Air Fryer Countertop Oven"

77f4ed2b-2a6c-4b42-bfd2-a02e04ebf0fe_1.ae31ebad6de45f772615ea1955217076.jpeg

Air fryers use a much more powerful fan than convection ovens, so it cooks faster and also helps it seal in the juices better.  It does fry in the sense that the food looks and tastes just like fried food without having to use nearly as much oil.

Some convection toaster ovens with a bit more power fan call themselves air fryers but they are not as good as the purpose build cylindrical air fryers imo.  The purpose built ones have a more powerful fan that blows directly down on the food.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1

Since I bought mine about 2 months ago I haven't used the oven in the house again.

Heats up instantly, I've done whole chickens and a lamb shoulder roast, it holds more than it look like. And my son loves the french fries. Bacon, hamburgers you name it.

I had a counter top convection toaster oven in Thailand and I didn't see the hype about air fryers.

I do now. 

Cuisinart.jpg

I have a real/regular oven here in LOS and several months ago bought a large air fryer and it's much faster, easier, healthier, convenient to use than my regular over, my microwave oven or deep frying.

Cook, "fried" chicken, baked chicken, french fries/chips, fish, pork steaks, chicken nuggets for the kids, homemade pizza.  Do yourself a favor and get one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bbko said:

Cook, "fried" chicken, baked chicken, french fries/chips, fish, pork steaks, chicken nuggets for the kids, homemade pizza.  Do yourself a favor and get one.

I did look at one at Makro, found on LAZ even cheaper.  After looking at more than a few vids on youtube, of what cooks well and what doesn't.  When I first got here, remember no oven, and used one of the first versions of 'air fryer' ... the big glass thing, with heating element and fan in lid, and worked quite well, with some limitations.

5b752a2bN1b811610.jpg!q70.jpg

• Like 2

I bought Haier, 2 actually, same one of 2 Ltr.

I bought 2 because you cannot really handle quantity if you want to air fry your food as it needs to circulate around

the foods to get the air fry benefit. So I split, when we have guests, into two portions, two air fryers...

Works like a charm

And... keep it clean on the inside next to the heating elements, maintenance is the word here

I also have a convection/ hot air oven, for the wet dishes like lasagna, mexican layer dips etc.

Never do wet in an air fryer, not good for the machine

All machines, methods of cooking have their pros & cons.  Just don't think I need another countertop oven, that only has more a powerful fan, than I already have.  Plus my ovens will do 250C + fan, that's a whole 100F more, and needed for pizzas and other baked items.  

Actually don't use the ovens that much and prefer the gas & cast iron / SS pans.  Breads & roasting / slow cooking, pizza, and occasional rotisserie use, for the oven.

Healthier is debatable, depending how & what you cook.  And fries, need to be deep fried, as most vids I've watched, that aren't selling air fryers, don't think fries are as good  cooked in them.

Main drawback, is size, though do like the possibility of easier clean up.  Running out of countertop as it is; 2 ovens, microwave, slow / rice cooker, toaster, coffee machine, coffee grinder, ice-cream machine, waffle+ thingy, stand mixer, blender, hand wand mixer, dehydrator ... ???? probably something else I forgot, stored away.

New house build, I think the kitchen is the largest room with about 8 meters (4+4 corner) of countertop, not counting a separate 'coffee station' elsewhere ????, free up some space.  We spend way too much time in the kitchen, most things from scratch, and makes for very healthy eating.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I did look at one at Makro, found on LAZ even cheaper.  After looking at more than a few vids on youtube, of what cooks well and what doesn't.  When I first got here, remember no oven, and used one of the first versions of 'air fryer' ... the big glass thing, with heating element and fan in lid, and worked quite well, with some limitations.

5b752a2bN1b811610.jpg!q70.jpg

I have both a "Halogen Oven" (sometimes: "Turbo Oven) and an "Air Fryer.  They both work on the same principal: fan driven heat generated by a halogen bulb, but not just heat but UV "heat" as well which speeds cooking time.

I use the halogen oven for larger items: whole chickens, a large roast, pizza, bread and chocolate chip cookies.  The air fryer I use more day to day.  Great for chicken legs, thighs and breast, pork chops, chicken wings, roast vegetables and potato's, English meat pies (thaw in microwave, then crisp the top in the air fryer).  It does very well with fish filets and also Thai "moo gorb", crispy pork belly.  I've even learned a way to nicely "broil" a steak.

There is a learning curve.  It's very easy to overcook things. When first starting, cook in small, 10 minute increments. An instant read cooking thermometer is really useful, especially when cooking items from frozen.

When cooking something like a steak where I want it nicely browned on top but rare inside, I'll put something like a small bowl under the cooking rack to raise it higher, nearer the heat source. I really have to pay attention to it as it can cook pretty quickly, just a few minutes.

Another thing I appreciate about the air fryer is clean-up is pretty quick and easy.  No grease or oil splattered everywhere.

My air fryer is an inexpensive Heier that I received for free as a premium along with something else I bought.  I originally thought I didn't need it but it has turned out to be used almost every day.

• Like 2

A key thing to remember is air must get below the cooked item so it is not for cooking eggs or other liquid items.  And a removal inner basket is much better than just a bottom plate (you can remove fries or whatever - bottom plate type is a mess to remove anything small and likely to splash extracted grease everywhere if you try to do so - you have to pick out each item).  

health question, its not about the machine its about what you put in your food.

good thing about air fryer is you put in the food and walk away, while shallow fry you can't do that or else it would burn and if you talking about deep fry throw healthy part out the door

4 hours ago, RickG16 said:

How much healthier is an air fryer than shallow fry? Or deep fry?

I can be no existent, marginal, or unhealthier, simply depend how you use and what oils, how much, if any, you use.

It's simply a machine.  It needs oil if you want crispy instead of simply dried out if not enough natural fat in whatever you're cooking.  I really don't need oils or butter in my cast iron pans, as they're basically as non stick as teflon, but it does enhance the transfer of heat along with adding flavor.

If you eat french fries everyday, then air fry would probably be much healthy, though results not as good, as many youtubers point out.  You can roast veggies in the oven or air fryer, but without a bit of oil, your results aren't going be to good.  Oil & fats are a great conductor of heat, how much is up to you.  

Oils, butter & fats are not unhealthy, as your body needs  ... but paying attention to types & moderation helps.

On 3/21/2022 at 12:34 PM, norfolkandchance said:

Yes. Buy the biggest model.

I bought ours mainly as an experiment, with very little expectations, as my Thai wife loved frying things in liters of oil (don't they all?!).

By now, it is in daily use and has become literally the most used kitchen machine besides the rice cooker, as food is done really fast, the cleaning is absolutely easy and there is an unbelievable amount of different food you can prepare. At the same time it is months back that I bought oil for frying.

Unluckily, I bought a rather smallish model, so now that the whole family wants food from it, we will need to upgrade it.

On 3/21/2022 at 7:46 PM, bang saen guy said:

Thanks, guys. I will research the Philips and Hafele. Really want it for fries and chicken. Outside I have a gas grill, Weber, and a smoker for other meats

i bought a philips very good once you know how to regulate the cooking times,only problem you dont get a manual with it [it was made in china].

4 hours ago, jts-khorat said:

Unluckily, I bought a rather smallish model, so now that the whole family wants food from it, we will need to upgrade it.

Before buying another, larger air fryer, check out the "Halogen Ovens" mentioned previously in this topic.  Available on Lazada and most Big-C's/Tesco's for around B1000.  

They function the same as an air fryer but are larger and can fit a normal size pizza, whole chicken or other large items.  Using the usually included racks, you have the room to cook multiple items at the same time.

Most come with a large glass bowl so you can see what is cooking.  There are also models with a stainless steel bowl which I prefer.  The glass bowl is heavy and I always worry about dropping it.  The steel bowl is lighter and no worries if it hits the floor.  Also, the metal bowl is easier to directly make sauces and gravies from the drippings.

Many helpful videos on YouTube.

Edited by dddave
  • Like 1

Yes they are excellent. They are actually a round grill with a top heat source. I use mine for grilling and baking. Buy a large. In terms of size do you want to cook a whole chicken or a chicken  breast or half a chicken?

The inventor was interviewed on the BBC and regretted calling them 'fryers'

BTW They do use oil including when making chips. Halogen ovens are very good too and are cheaper.

Edited by The Hammer2021

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...