PCR test on stopover

EricTh

Has anybody make a stopover (non-direct flight) and switch to another airline during the stopover.

Will the second airline require a PCR test within 72 hours because that would be impossible on transit.

Edited by EricTh

Do you mean transit, where you stay airside in the airport, or a stopover, where you pass through immigration and customs? Most countries have a deadline before departure not arrival, in which case a transit stop won't matter, but a stopover will. If it is a stopover, or you're travelling to a country with an arrival deadline (rather than a departure one), you will have to find somewhere that can do you an express PCR and get it taken as late as you can to squeeze into the time frame.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

Do you mean transit, where you stay airside in the airport, or a stopover, where you pass through immigration and customs? Most countries have a deadline before departure not arrival, in which case a transit stop won't matter, but a stopover will. If it is a stopover, or you're travelling to a country with an arrival deadline (rather than a departure one), you will have to find somewhere that can do you an express PCR and get it taken as late as you can to squeeze into the time frame.

It is a flight from Chiang Mai to Bangkok first, then from Bangkok to another country using a different airline. Is that considered a transit?

Edited by EricTh

If its on one ticket luggage is checked through and you go through immigration at boarding airport CNX

If second airline or destination country requires PCR it must be done prior to boarding first leg of journey i.e. first plane

eg Lufthansa BKK to Birmingham via Frankfurt nothing required

Lufthansa and Singpore airlines 

BKK to Birmingham via Singapore and Singapore airlines to Frankfurt  A PCR test required (or was 10 days ago for Singapore)

i looked at this flight but took BKK FRA BHX on instead because of this

It would be simpler if you just shared the itinerary, and airlines, passport country.

Without any details, and assuming a same-day connection at BKK, then get the PCR test in Chiang Mail within 72 hours of the departure time of the second flight BKK-XXX.

My guess is that this is one ticket, perhaps issued by TG with the CNX-BKK segment on WE? Just a guess.

11 hours ago, EricTh said:

Will the second airline require a PCR test within 72 hours because that would be impossible on transit.

Yes, assuming the destination country requires a COVID negative test for those with your country's passport.

For example, a French citizen flying CNX-BKK-CDG on WE/TG would NOT need a test. Other citizens would need tests.

7 hours ago, EricTh said:

It is a flight from Chiang Mai to Bangkok first, then from Bangkok to another country using a different airline. Is that considered a transit?

From a definitional standpoint, I'd guess one could call the switch in BKK a "transit"; however, any covid testing requirement time periods are from the departure time of one's first international flight and not from the time you depart on a domestic-to-domestic flight.  There are no testing requirements for a flight from CNX to BKK.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, poohy said:

Lufthansa and Singpore airlines 

BKK to Birmingham via Singapore and Singapore airlines to Frankfurt  A PCR test required (or was 10 days ago for Singapore)

i looked at this flight but took BKK FRA BHX on instead because of this

Pre-departure testing is no longer required for transit through Singapore:

"Travellers are not required to present a negative pre-departure test result to transit through Singapore. However, they may still be required to produce a valid negative Covid-19 test certificate if it is required for entry into their planned destination."

https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/sg/media-centre/news-alert/?id=kataac8r

3 hours ago, CMBob said:

any covid testing requirement time periods are from the departure time of one's first international flight and not from the time you depart on a domestic-to-domestic flight

Every testing requirement I've seen so far has counted the time period before the first flight in the itinerary, regardless of whether it's a domestic connecting flight or an international departure. 

12 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

Is it all on one ticket, and how long are you in Bangkok for?

I haven't bought any tickets yet, just looking at various options and various transit/stopover points. 

I am not sure whether they issue one ticket for two different airlines or two tickets for two different airlines for connecting flights.

If there is no PCR test (done within 72 hours requirement), life would be much simpler.

Anyway, I think it's better to ask the airport staff because different people give different answers here.

Thanks anyway.

Edited by EricTh

If it's all on one ticket, your 72 hours will start with your flight from CM, unless you have a long stopover in Bangkok, in which case you may be able to argue that it starts from Bangkok depending on the exact situation. If you buy separate tickets, you will have to collect your luggage in Bangkok and check in again for your international flight. In that case, your 72 hours will start from the Bangkok flight. The CM airline doesn't even need to know you have an international flight later. 

You are getting different answers because there are several different factors involved, and you haven't given us enough information to be able to give you a definite answer.

46 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I haven't bought any tickets yet, just looking at various options and various transit/stopover points. 

I am not sure whether they issue one ticket for two different airlines or two tickets for two different airlines for connecting flights.

If there is no PCR test (done within 72 hours requirement), life would be much simpler.

Anyway, I think it's better to ask the airport staff because different people give different answers here.

Thanks anyway.

If a poster tells you his personal experience on anything at all, I would be inclined to go with it, but where flights are concerned, they can change quickly despite an individuals experience, so it is best to be aware of that.

1 hour ago, khunjeff said:

https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/sg/media-centre/news-alert/?id=kataac8r

Every testing requirement I've seen so far has counted the time period before the first flight in the itinerary, regardless of whether it's a domestic connecting flight or an international departure. 

For example only, the Thai Consulate in Chicago made it very clear to me that the time period related only to the first international flight out of the US (and not my two domestic flights to San Francisco).

14 hours ago, EricTh said:

???? Really? I went out to "swampy" a couple of weeks ago, went to the 4th floor info desk and was told there's a travel agent down on floor "B". Made my way back down to floor "B" and the info desk there said nope, it's on the 6th floor. I went home. :wai:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, mrwebb8825 said:

???? Really? I went out to "swampy" a couple of weeks ago, went to the 4th floor info desk and was told there's a travel agent down on floor "B". Made my way back down to floor "B" and the info desk there said nope, it's on the 6th floor. I went home. :wai:

This goes to show that nobody knows what is going on until we try to board the plane which would be too late.