Central bank assures Thai banking system remains resilient despite S&P downgrade

webfact

9 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I know 3 teachers all under the age of 30 who have bought new cars this year...

I thought teachers were in financial trouble?

0% interest loans in a time of 5%+ inflation are quite attractive.

On 3/23/2022 at 1:26 PM, webfact said:

Its base case scenario also projects the bad loans, held by Thai banks, will grow to 5% over the next 24 months, from the current 3%, which would be the highest since the global financial crisis of 2008.

This should tell everyone enough in itself.  Stand by for some kind of market correction.  In my defense I already bought enough gold and silver as well as loose diamonds for when bartering becomes needed.

On 3/23/2022 at 1:26 PM, webfact said:

S&P downgraded ratings of Siam Commercial Bank and Kasikorn Bank, from BBB+ to BBB, and Krungthai Bank and TMB Thanachart Bank, from BBB to BBB-.

555 I should be safe as I don't bank with any of them  (just kidding 555)

11 hours ago, Isaan sailor said:

Last year, banks lowered insurance guaranties to one million Baht per individual, per institution.  This doesn’t give one a sense of confidence in the system.

I don't even trust the 1MB guarantee, more likely 20 satang on the baht after the govt, army, police, hiso's have been taken care of. It's not like you can take the govt to court and expect to win if they renig

13 hours ago, thaiowl said:

This is the same Bank of Thailand which was overseeing the Thai commercial banks before the Asian Financial Crisis in 1997 and which wasted Thailand's foreign exchange reserves trying to retain the peg to the USD.

I heard (true or not? not sure) that the Govt and Hi So's got caught with too much money in their accounts here and the BOT was trying to hold up the baht while everyone with too much were transferring funds out of the country as fast as they could

• Like 1