Central bank assures Thai banking system remains resilient despite S&P downgrade

webfact

The Bank's have liabilities in THB and FX/USD. The Central Bank will always be able to bail them out in THB, but what about the FX?

How long will the Central Bank be able to act as Lendor of the Last Resort for the FX Liabilities, when a) USD yields go up (to curb inflation) and b) FX Funding Cost for the Thai Commercial Banks go up from the downgrades?

We can't ignore that FX inflows are heavily affected from the lack of tourists (30 Mill. tourists, each spend average 1000 USD -- gives 30 bn. USD inflow every year).

Together weak car exports due to high cost of diesel (who would by Hillux trucks!), FX inflow could become a problem.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

I'd say it was way higher than that now. Makes me laugh seeing a dirt poor Thai in a second hand pair of shorts and repairs flip flops getting out of a new pick up to buy noodles. 

I know 3 teachers all under the age of 30 who have bought new cars this year...

I thought teachers were in financial trouble?

• Like 2

Of those 4 banks quoted three of them are the only ones where you can transfer more than 50.000 in one international transaction. Perhaps the "arrangement" they have with obviously the Thai government/BOT is not to the liking of S & P or else they know something we don't to downgrade them.

• Confused 1

This is the same Bank of Thailand which was overseeing the Thai commercial banks before the Asian Financial Crisis in 1997 and which wasted Thailand's foreign exchange reserves trying to retain the peg to the USD.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Perhaps those teachers don't teach basic economics and financial planning  ????

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I'd say it was way higher than that now. Makes me laugh seeing a dirt poor Thai in a second hand pair of shorts and repairs flip flops getting out of a new pick up to buy noodles. 

A couple of Years or so ago, ' Bloomberg " described Thais as " A Nation of people that drive BMW Cars, but live in Tin Sheds "

Never has that been more true than it is at the present time.

Household Debt has risen by a whopping 14 % of GDP over the last 2 Quarters of 2021. From 86 % of GDP to 100 %

Downgrades are long overdue, as this amount of lending and borrowing is not sustainable, and with the Economy starting to show signs of slowing, a rash of NPL are due to become very real IMO..

• Like 2

16 hours ago, timendres said:

S&P has never helped anyone avoid a bank failure.

I never realised quite how influential that bakery chain could be. Almost as powerful as Macdonalds!

• Haha 1

Its base case scenario also projects the bad loans, held by Thai banks, will grow to 5% over the next 24 months, from the current 3%, which would be the highest since the global financial crisis of 2008.

And my wife's family will be responsible for at least 8 or 9 of them.

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I keep the bulk of my money in my UK bank, only keep enough in Thailand for my living expenses. So anyone wanting a large some of money from me are on to plums. I would not trust any Thai bank with my money while the country is run by a bunch of poorly educated tinpot soldiers.

The lowered insured cash amounts can help in unforeseen ways.  When family members ask for loans or handouts, my wife explains to them I must keep Baht in bank at all times now for my visa requirement.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Check next year. Probably the Banks are the new owners of the cars and the teachers you would find riding their push bikes.????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, AnotherFarang8 said:

Relevance of western ratings (S&P, Fitch) and USD as the world reserve currency is under serious threat as Russia has announced selling natural gas to the list of unfriendly countries for rubles, Saudi Arabia planning to sell oil for Chinese Yuan.

This is a multi-currency system in the making, effectively a collapse of the Bretton Woods system of USD trade hegemony. US and Europe have effectively defaulted on their obligations freezing Russian currency reserves, making USD and Euro unreliable currencies to hold. Watch the great bank run as other countries begin to diversify their reserves.

... dream on tovaritzky, nobody will buy your khrap for rubblish ... e.m.b.a.r.g.o.  in 3 - 2 - 1 //

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, thaiowl said:

This is the same Bank of Thailand which was overseeing the Thai commercial banks before the Asian Financial Crisis in 1997 and which wasted Thailand's foreign exchange reserves trying to retain the peg to the USD.

Old saying, use lots of lube if trying to insert a round peg in a square 'ole

That doesn't surprise me. I live in the countryside and really everyone here has loans up to their ears which they can absolutely never pay back. If this is a benchmark for large parts of Thailand then you can wait for problems to arise. However, for tourism it would be a good thing.

27 minutes ago, jollyhangmon said:

... dream on tovaritzky, nobody will buy your khrap for rubblish ... e.m.b.a.r.g.o.  in 3 - 2 - 1 //

Lol. Embargo would push lifestyles in the west 100 years backwards. For those who will survive a die-off from famine, diseases, roaming marauders, because many will not make it through. April is going to be interesting as European populations, hit by economic sanctions against Russia that backfired, will take their discontent to the streets en masse.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, AnotherFarang8 said:

Lol. Embargo would push lifestyles in the west 100 years backwards. For those who will survive a die-off from famine, diseases, roaming marauders, because many will not make it through. April is going to be interesting as European populations, hit by economic sanctions against Russia that backfired, will take their discontent to the streets en masse.

... yaaawn, just more ridiculous blabbering as expected, wishful thinking (?) at best ...

Now, stroll on pukins b-boy, just don't draw conclusions from your ilks known disgusting behaviour, watch & learn, 555 ...

• Haha 1