The Land of Pineapples. Why Don't you Eat Them, More?

Dear Friends,

Here we are, living in the land of pineapple. Thailand produces 2.8 million tones of pineapple.

Why don't you eat more?

Personally, I consider the pineapple to be a superb fruit.

And yet, we export them, rather than consuming them, here.

As you know, while waltzing down the street, you can find sellers who will offer you 10-Baht bags of sliced pineapple.

Why don't you buy more?

Is there any negative side to pineapples?

Some link on the Internet says that:

"The juice from unripe pineapples can cause severe vomiting. Bromelain ingestion is associated with a low incidence of adverse reactions, including diarrhea, excess menstrual flow, nausea, skin rash, and vomiting. Swelling of the mouth and cheeks can result from eating large amounts of the fruit."

These side effects are probably quite rare, if not almost nonexistent.

CONVERSELY:

Partaking of other fruits of Pattaya, can lead to serious health consequences, as you realize, after possibly watching YT videos. 

If ONLY we were young, once more!

If we were again young, then pineapples, grown in the bush, would be much more enticing to us than the pineapples we see in the bars, these days, now that we are no longer children.

I love the juice of pineapples.

Sometimes, too sweet and too acidic, one must say.

Still, one always comes back to eating pineapples, in the end.

I wish I had a pineapple, right now.

Best regards,

Glob

Please Note:  I have had several pineapples in my day.  And the juices from each pineapple tastes different.  Only one pineapple, have I ever tasted, which tasted the very best.  I can still recall the taste of this pineapple, even today.

• Sad 1

Although delicious, Thai pineapples can be prickly.

And, some Farang find them indigestible, in the end.

Therefore, the wise choice is to take only one slice at a time.

If the first bite goes down well, then take another slice.

And, never gorge on pineapples, especially two or three at one time.

download.jpg.adc7395616b919a856acbd485712b7bb.jpg

the fist-sized Queen-style pineapple in Thailand is my fave -not too sweet. I've only seen them in Chiang Mai.

When I lived in England, I used to get pineapples from Ghana and those were the sweetest, juiciest, most flavor-complex ones I ever had.

Edited to add: No wait, those pineapples were from the Ivory Coast, which must surely be like the Veuve Cliqout region of pineapple-dom.

Vodka steeped in fresh pineapple is a long-running high end bar treat in Manhattan.

Edited by LaosLover

1 hour ago, LaosLover said:

the fist-sized Queen-style pineapple in Thailand is my fave -not too sweet. I've only seen them in Chiang Mai.

When I lived in England, I used to get pineapples from Ghana and those were the sweetest, juiciest, most flavor-complex ones I ever had.

Edited to add: No wait, those pineapples were from the Ivory Coast, which must surely be like the Veuve Cliqout region of pineapple-dom.

Vodka steeped in fresh pineapple is a long-running high end bar treat in Manhattan.

Regarding taste complexity, which you mentioned:

It is true that the lowly pineapple, just like the tomato or the cayenne pepper can have many fruity flavors, and same with the ladyboys.

Abstract

"Complexity is a term that is often invoked by those writing appreciatively about the taste, aroma/bouquet, and/or flavor of food and drink. Typically, the term is used as though everyone knows what is being talked about. Rarely is any explanation given, and the discussion soon moves on to other topics. However, oftentimes it is not at all clear what, exactly, is being referred to. A number of possibilities are outlined here, including physical complexity at the level of individual molecules, at the level of combinations of molecules giving rise to a specific flavor profile (e.g., as in a glass of quality wine or a cup of specialty coffee), at the level of combinations of distinct ingredients/elements (e.g., as when composing a particularly intricate dish in a high-end restaurant, say, or when pairing food with wine), and/or the number of stimuli/steps involved in the process of creation. Of course, people might also be referring to some aspect of their perceptual experience, and one of the intriguing questions in this space concerns the nature of the relationship(s) between these different ways of conceptualizing complexity in the chemical senses. However, given that physical/chemical and perceived complexity so often diverge, we argue that it is the latter notion, or rather inferred complexity, that is the most relevant when it comes to the chemical senses. Finally, we look at the role of expertise and review the evidence suggesting that inferred complexity can emerge either from a unitary taste experience that is judged to be complex, or from a tasting experience having multiple individual elements."

Whoever wrote this abstract, is a fairly fruity GOOD writer.

Of course, I know who wrote this abstract:

This comes from Chemical Senses....

m_cover.jpeg.fe3e7f091e849e0a0124d33cba4656d5.jpeg

Credit due where credit is deserved.

And now, besides the pineapple, maybe we will have Oxford Press test and comment upon the flavors of pussies around the world....

What's your flavor?

Edited by GammaGlobulin

29 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

There's a famous street food ally near Silom where the sell just the cores of the pineapples in a giant bag for 20 baht. Like having one of those intestinal cleaning regimes on Ko Samui.

Fiber is crucial for any cleaning regime.

Probably oats and Japanese buckwheat noodles would be better than pineapples, unless you eat the core. as you state.

Most people throw away the core.

What a waste.

In Thailand, Metamucil is expensive.

Why waste money on imported fiber?

We just did crabs with pineapple and cilantro for dinner. Very Krabi-istic. Love the idea of pineapple in a savory dish.

Being from New York, I have to pretend that I hate pineapple on a pizza, but horrible Domino's does a decent one. If I had to pick, I'd prefer pineapple on a white pizza (no tomato sauce), but I'd still have a second slice of the tomato kind.

Pineapple and pork is hardwired in most American palates due to Proustian memories of sweet and sour pork in cheap Chinese restaurants -which requires a few chunks of it along with green pepper to be official. 

52 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

Et tu Sipi?

Guess that culture never got as far as the Outback. ????

I tried to sneak that comment in whilst you weren't looking Bert.

• Haha 1

As a child, pineapple was a luxury in Australia, it all came out of a can.

Nowadays, I eat pineapple I buy at my favorite market stall every day, 20 baht a bag.

I've found the smallest pineapples are the sweetest, much like the women here.

24 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Too messy,

I prefer mine in rings out of a tin.

The tin lining gives a free dose of stannous/stannic ions, ever noticed how the lining is showing etching of the metal? The acidity in the pineapple does that.

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The tin lining gives a free dose of stannous/stannic ions, ever noticed how the lining is showing etching of the metal? The acidity in the pineapple does that.

So, a pH of 3 to 4.

Do you prefer the more acidic varieties, around 3?

I would say that you should.

Just from a tasteful perspective.

10 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

So, a pH of 3 to 4.

Do you prefer the more acidic varieties, around 3?

I would say that you should.

Just from a tasteful perspective.

Nothing to do with taste, canneries tend to harvest and process under-ripe ( acidic ) pineapple, as it is more cost-effective than trying to judge when to can the fruit in varying degrees of ripeness.

Enlighten me please - who elected you as an arbiter of what I should prefer?

On 3/23/2022 at 11:58 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

I love the juice of pineapples.

Sometimes, too sweet and too acidic, one must say.

Still, one always comes back to eating pineapples, in the end.

I wish I had a pineapple, right now.

Best regards,

Glob

Please Note:  I have had several pineapples in my day.  And the juices from each pineapple tastes different.  Only one pineapple, have I ever tasted, which tasted the very best.  I can still recall the taste of this pineapple, even today.

Are you talking about pineapples or women here?

On 3/23/2022 at 11:58 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

Why don't you eat more?

They can be quite acidic.  Also some can be soaked in some weird juice.  I went through phases of eating them regularly, and other fruits, but sometimes I would buy some and then leave them to rot and throw them out.

My food purchasing varies with my mood, as it often involves going to food vendors.  Also, I'm kind of absent minded sometimes and go through phases of visiting different areas.  Covid has made my interactions with locals slightly tainted, so I choose to go to places that I feel the most comfortable.  This means sometimes no fruit.

On 3/24/2022 at 2:42 AM, LaosLover said:

There's a famous street food ally near Silom where the sell just the cores of the pineapples in a giant bag for 20 baht. Like having one of those intestinal cleaning regimes on Ko Samui.

my favourite part of the pineaple,most sellers just throw them away ,every time i ask a seller for them they give them to me free ,i always give them 20 baht , fantastic.yum yum .