Tested positive

Bracken5807

I had/have the same issue but thankfully a little more time than you. I got a positive PCR test on 7th March and am flying to Thailand tomorrow the 24th. That's 17 days after getting official positive though I know I got infected on 27/28th Feb. By getting the positive test officially it starts the clock to obtain the recovery letter. Also, if you are British then your positive PCR test should be logged on the NHS app and it will show on your Covid pass. After 10 days it will add a QR Code and state "recovered". You can then print and use this to get the recovery letter. 

Knowing that it is still possible to test positive for up to 12 weeks I was very concerned about being able to travel to Thailand. I had my pre-departure PCR test this morning and thankfully it was negative. Whether or not Thai Airways would have carried me if positive (with recovery letter) I do not know.

I still have to pass the (allegedly more sensitive) arrival Covid test in Thailand but at least I'm armed with the recovery letter. I personally would not tell anyone (or hotel) that you recovered recently UNLESS you fail the PCR test/s. Have the recovery letter to hand and present it then and argue that you're recovered and not infectious. I certainly would not tell them in advance as they will likely <deleted> themselves and cause you a whole bunch of pain.

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Like 2

I don't need a pre-departure test, it looks like I don't have enough time to get a recovery certificate (needs to be at least 14 days from being tested positive)  At the moment I have only done a lateral flow so when I arrive in Thailand  if I test negative would that be enough or will there still be enough virus in my system that it will probably test positive

Edited by Bracken5807
Additional details

28 minutes ago, Bracken5807 said:

I don't need a pre-departure test, it looks like I don't have enough time to get a recovery certificate (needs to be at least 14 days from being tested positive)  At the moment I have only done a lateral flow so when I arrive in Thailand  if I test negative would that be enough or will there still be enough virus in my system that it will probably test positive

Recovery letters are possibly available after 10 days from positive test. Good luck.

change departure and hotel by 1-3 days. Your Thailand Pass is valid up to 72h. Your travel insurance might cover ticket change, if indeed new one is more expensive.

yes, telling hotel/hospital about recovery certificate lowers your chances of testing positive on arrival. They will process it differently, to exclude from results inactive parts of virus, which still might be in your body.

Instead of the regular white sticker, they will put a vial a red one.

Showing them recovery certificate after detected positive would delay your release. They have exact  rules what certificate suppose to contain. If something missing, you will have to straggle to get corrected one

Edited by internationalism
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Bracken5807 said:

I'd advise getting the lab test now.  At least you'll know if you are really positive, those home tests can be wrong.

• Like 1

This is based on a conversation with a UK hospital consultant, but I have no other evidence to back it up. Most people still test positive on PCR at day 10. About 20% still continuously test positive on PCR at day 15. Anyone can randomly test positive for months afterwards, even if they had been repeatedly testing negative, because the test can still pick up dead viral fragments. 

4 hours ago, DefaultName said:

I'd advise getting the lab test now.  At least you'll know if you are really positive, those home tests can be wrong.

This would be my suggestion as well. You are going to want to get a recovery certificate anyway, and you will need an official result for that. Shop around for the recovery certificate as well. There are clinics in the UK that will issue them after 7 days with a self-declaration that you have had no symptoms for 48 hours. MedConsult in Bangkok will issue one after 10 days.

So, OP, you're posting; "Hi, I've recently been infected with a disease that has killed millions but still feel entitled to travel and possibly infect as many people as I come in contact with. How can I come to your house?" 

Does that about sum it up? Really? Stay home, please. 

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, mrwebb8825 said:

So, OP, you're posting; "Hi, I've recently been infected with a disease that has killed millions but still feel entitled to travel and possibly infect as many people as I come in contact with. How can I come to your house?" 

Cheap shot. Where does the OP say that he intends to travel while still infected? With the dates quoted it is most likely that he will be fully recovered after 14 days. Most are now considered recovered after 10 days. Millions have died who had covid. Not millions died because of covid. The guy that fell off the ladder and broke his neck was deemed to have died of covid because when tested he had covid. Not because of his broken neck.

On 3/25/2022 at 3:44 AM, mrwebb8825 said:

I will not be travelling if I am still infected, and I will also not be travelling if I don't have a recovered certificate. Does that make you feel better?

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.

7 hours ago, Bracken5807 said:

I will not be travelling if I am still infected, and I will also not be travelling if I don't have a recovered certificate. Does that make you feel better?

"I have tested positive today 23 March. I will be travelling to Thailand on 6 April on the test and go programme."

Oh, I'm sorry. I must have misunderstood what you posted when you said "I WILL be traveling to Thailand...". ???? Quite obviously, my not being from the UK, I did not understand that "Will" and "Will Not" are interchangeable there.

On 3/23/2022 at 5:59 PM, soi3eddie said:

I had/have the same issue but thankfully a little more time than you. I got a positive PCR test on 7th March and am flying to Thailand tomorrow the 24th. That's 17 days after getting official positive though I know I got infected on 27/28th Feb. By getting the positive test officially it starts the clock to obtain the recovery letter. Also, if you are British then your positive PCR test should be logged on the NHS app and it will show on your Covid pass. After 10 days it will add a QR Code and state "recovered". You can then print and use this to get the recovery letter. 

Knowing that it is still possible to test positive for up to 12 weeks I was very concerned about being able to travel to Thailand. I had my pre-departure PCR test this morning and thankfully it was negative. Whether or not Thai Airways would have carried me if positive (with recovery letter) I do not know.

I still have to pass the (allegedly more sensitive) arrival Covid test in Thailand but at least I'm armed with the recovery letter. I personally would not tell anyone (or hotel) that you recovered recently UNLESS you fail the PCR test/s. Have the recovery letter to hand and present it then and argue that you're recovered and not infectious. I certainly would not tell them in advance as they will likely <deleted> themselves and cause you a whole bunch of pain.

How did things work out with the Thai covid test ? Also did you use the lateral flow test at any time in the UK , plus what was the duration of the infection / feeling unwell .

2 hours ago, superal said:

How did things work out with the Thai covid test ? Also did you use the lateral flow test at any time in the UK , plus what was the duration of the infection / feeling unwell .

It was probably 10 days from likely infection time to getting negative ATK tests (I tested most days after getting symptoms). Symptoms were initially for 2 days a runny nose and slight night chills along with coughing. Coughing was the most prevalent sympton after that. I was fairly fatigued throughout but that may have been worsened because I was very busy with work. I still cough a bit now after exactly 1 month. I took no medications whatsover during the whole period.

I took a PCR test on 23rd March in the UK which came back negative (just 3 weeks after likely infection) and then a second PCR test here on arrival in Thailand which (amazingly) also came back negative - I was certain their testing here would be more sensitive. So now in Bangkok and a free man - have to do self-administerd ATK test on 29th March that the hotel gave me but no instructions on what to so with the results.

I did get a recovery letter from doctor to carry just in case but it wasn't needed. At check-in in London with Thai Airways I asked the Thai check-in manager what happens if tested positive with PCR test and she told me that the recovery letter must be at least 14 days after recovery date (not initial test positive). She almost <deleted> herself when I asked as she thought I was positive but I just said "asking for a friend" who will be travelling soon. I felt lucky to have got the negatives after such a short time.

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/25/2022 at 3:44 AM, mrwebb8825 said:

mrwebb8825... So you're positing.... ”Hi, I’m a sanctimonious judgemental character who does not understand that if testing positive I may be contagious for a short period and never knew there is such as thing as a recovery certificate”.... 

Does that about sum it up? Really? educated yourself, please.  :whistling:

• Like 1