Welcome back to Thailand! French husband has 400,000 baht headache after theft from house

webfact

4 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I never heard the word before, same with miscreants and blag. Had to Google them, poor translations in my opinion.

You would know them off by heart if you had watched "The Sweeney" with John Thaw, Dennis Waterman and Garfield Morgan.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:
8 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Who leaves an unprotected, exposed window open these days. 

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Me, doors and windows open all day, every day.

At home or not.

Same here.

I do not even lock the doors when I leave the island

Same here.

When I'm staying on my island I never lock the house.

The wife doesn't agree, she's always wanting to lockup. 

Screenshot_2022-03-25-17-42-35-09_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg

16 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

We travel a fair bit so we opted to have painted bars fitted on the inside, from the outside they look like a prison, hence the reason they are inside, they actually look decorative, as I had never been a fan of bars, that said, when I am away for a few hours, wife and kids home, everyone feels safe and also when sleeping at night. Also have a safe for valuables, passports etc.

I would have loved to of had an alarm installed but don't think anyone would pay attention here, village folk, that said, could also put in CCTV but I am pretty sure there is enough security, windows open all day until it gets hot, suffice to say, no ones coming in here without a solid sledge hammer or oxy, that said, would have to make enough noise to be noticed, I would imagine.

We don't really have people over, but when we do, the valuables are in the safe so not much to worry about, that said when the wife's sister drops in, she will ask me to put her purse which she usually leaves on the table, to be put in the draw, sisterly love I guess ????

Fitted a lot 'dead' windows as the boss calls them. I would also go for inside decorative grills, if I go for anything.

Intend to fit 95dB programmable alarms in each plug socket.....that will give the ßastards a shock.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

I would also go for inside decorative grills, if I go for anything.

Check them out at HomePro, and if your windows frames are white, the white grills will blend in nicely, to be honest, you don't really notice them from outside, or inside for that matter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, jacko45k said:

There is a pic of the lady pointing to a coffee table..... I suspect it is a 'was here' moment. They were in a hurry to party ......

One of the first things I bought on arrival in Thailand was a safe,try lifting that up to the level of that window,and getting it out that small window ????????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Check them out at HomePro, and if your windows frames are white, the white grills will blend in nicely, to be honest, you don't really notice them from outside, or inside for that matter.

Cheers....going to the big one (guess they are all big?) in Chaiyaphum next Friday......will have a look.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Will be having a house built upcountry later this year and this is something we are considering. As well as CCTV and a big red alarm bell (the latter purely for show). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BusyB said:

'two miscreants in the frame for the blag at the farang's gaffe. '

What kind of writing is that?

I am 77, a Brit, and understood it straight away.

It could have been written.

The police are looking for 2 people who they believe are responsible for a theft at a farang's house.

Is that any better?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

A genuine thief would not know that. Not everybody - most I would guess - comes back with 400,000 baht of valuables and then conveniently leave them laying around. More to this story

If a house is closed for a couple of years it is unlikely to be broken into unless it was vandals. There would be NO open windows.

When the couple came back they would have opened up the house and the neighbours would know as would any thief with half a brain.

They probably had to go to the bank together to get the money for a visa extension which would explain why the money was there (though not necessarily on view). The same for the wife's gold.

Whoever did it, it was probably a spur of the moment job and got lucky.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Will be having a house built upcountry later this year and this is something we are considering. As well as CCTV and a big red alarm bell (the latter purely for show). 

Just watch out for the grills, for some stupid reason here they don't primer/undercoat them, they just give them a coat of paint and that is it, so expect them to show signs of chips/flaking after a while.

The CCTV is a plus as would be the alarm, however what happens when there is a power outage, the grills will still be effective.

5 minutes ago, Jimbo53 said:

I bought a house in a village 3 years ago,and took every one of those unsightly grilles off and binned them,and have never had a break in.

Why put them on,and look though the equivalent of a prison cell in your own home? Get a dog and a baseball bat ????

Geese are better than a dog. The main drawback is that they <deleted> a lot and they <deleted> anywhere and everywhere

48 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I am 77, a Brit, and understood it straight away.

It could have been written.

The police are looking for 2 people who they believe are responsible for a theft at a farang's house.

Is that any better?

e's av in a tin barf.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Jimbo53 said:

unsightly grilles

They are hideous, unsightly, atrocious, nasty, horrendous, vile looking but they keep my family safe. 

I have smoke alarms fitted and several external doors that allow easy exit if needed. 

I hope one day you never have a sorry moment for removing your security grills.

11 minutes ago, Jimbo53 said:

bought a house in a village 3 years

Bought my house in 2001, still living in the same village/moo Baan.

Sadly I've seen alot break and enters over the many years which wouldn't have happened had they had security grills fitted. 

Life is full of choices, if family safety is jeopardized I'm going with the safe option. 

10 hours ago, RAZZELL said:

"there were two miscreants in the frame for the blag at the farang's gaffe."

Who writes this nonsense? 

If you're going to use slang I'm sure it would be "gaff" not "gaffe"!

RAZZ 

Many underqualified journos around here...

10 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

She must have gotten special and expensive lessons in France. This is an expert finger pointing. Straight, with an upper bend, as well as distinct and really marking the specific subject that is lost. Hmmm... however that now can be possible. Anyway, thanks for another pointing picture. It goes into my collection of more than 2 300.

Unnecessary and pointless, vindictive p;ost!

• Sad 1

Why was the wedding ring not on a finger, and I'm assuming the diamond ring was an engagement ring something fishy here , sounds like <deleted> party at home and someone breaks in yet no one sees nothing, insurance scam 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RAZZELL said:

"there were two miscreants in the frame for the blag at the farang's gaffe."

Who writes this nonsense? 

If you're going to use slang I'm sure it would be "gaff" not "gaffe"!

RAZZ 

I Was thinking the same thing , just horrible third rate “journalism”????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Same here.

When I'm staying on my island I never lock the house.

The wife doesn't agree, she's always wanting to lockup. 

Screenshot_2022-03-25-17-42-35-09_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg

Yep. don't want those Lilliputians tying you down again....

pegged out.jpg

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

Just watch out for the grills, for some stupid reason here they don't primer/undercoat them, they just give them a coat of paint and that is it, so expect them to show signs of chips/flaking after a while.

The CCTV is a plus as would be the alarm, however what happens when there is a power outage, the grills will still be effective.

My son's house in Bangkok has grills and those that get hit by rain are rusting. No primer whatsoever. 

• Thanks 1

Gone were 800 Euros, a diamond and wedding ring and a designer bag all coming to 400,000 baht.

who leaves for 10.000 euro worth stuff in plain sight?  This is just asking for trouble.  Must have been a big daimond and or expensive wedding ring.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ThaiFelix said:

Exactly!  My wife wont let anyone in the house when we have visitors.  We always entertain outside.  The bedroom doors are always locked.  Only females are allowed to come in and use the toilet, and thats almost under armed guard, the men can go in the garden.  And that all includes family!  Sometimes when we go away she has her parents stay here at night and again all bedroom doors are locked.  I used to think she was over the top with all this security but the more of these cases I hear, the more I am inclined to side with her.

Don't like te smell of your garden