Welcome back to Thailand! French husband has 400,000 baht headache after theft from house

webfact

6 hours ago, Will B Good said:

I see many, many properties around us have the same, ugly, grills fitted.

Is house crime really that bad?

I can't imagine most properties around us even have anything worth stealing.

I see properties around me with grills on every entry point, even 3rd and 4th floors.

I often wonder what they'd do if a fire broke out on the ground floor...

by the time help arrives extra crispy?

• Like 1

Just now, hotchilli said:

I see properties around me with grills on every entry point, even 3rd and 4th floors.

I often wonder what they'd do if a fire broke out on the ground floor...

by the time help arrives extra crispy?

Mentioned in a post about Bangkok how they horrified me.... absolute death traps......someone told me...."well, don't look up"!!!

16 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Sorry, but I don't believe a word of it.

A thief waits 2 YEARS to break into a house and then does it with people IN the house rather than empty for 2 YEARS ! And then 400,000 - sounds more like a insurance scam to fill the marriage visa requirements !

Perhaps because when no-one was living there, there was nothing worth nicking. I don't leave anything laying around when I go on holiday. 

• Like 1

It'll be obvious when the pillagers start driving new Honda Waves and treating everyone to Lao  Kao.

I feel bad for the guy.

Probably last party at his home.

Cheaper to treat everyone to the closest local BBQ all you can eat.

7 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Who leaves an unprotected, exposed window open these days.

That's what I was thinking, here you need to close all the windows and seal yourself in while cranking up the A/C to keep cool.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Perhaps because when no-one was living there, there was nothing worth nicking. I don't leave anything laying around when I go on holiday. 

A genuine thief would not know that. Not everybody - most I would guess - comes back with 400,000 baht of valuables and then conveniently leave them laying around. More to this story

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

11 years retired in the Kingdom. While I don’t have 800 Euros to have in the house I can’t identify with being robbed. The 3 rental houses were in Moo Baans where all house have metal widow protection and my condo was on the 4th floor. Maybe I appear too poor? Sad to see anyone robbed.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RAZZELL said:

"there were two miscreants in the frame for the blag at the farang's gaffe."

Who writes this nonsense? 

If you're going to use slang I'm sure it would be "gaff" not "gaffe"!

RAZZ 

I had to look up what blag means.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Yes, welcome back to Thailand, put your valuables away when you are having a house party. 

I always keep my family jewels on myself ????

But feel sorry for the Frenchman and his wife ????

Edited by gejohesch
adding a line

6 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Make perfect sense to me gov ????

and to me, me old china

so money is just left laying around and a walk in or climb in thief happens to come across this hoard when the house is full of guests.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

There is a pic of the lady pointing to a coffee table..... I suspect it is a 'was here' moment. They were in a hurry to party ......

Now that takes me back to the days when people, usually young women, would 'reserve' a table at a café or food hall or fast food place by placing their bag or phone on the table while they went off to order. Then we'd read of their property being stolen while they were ordering. They weren't able to work out that by the time they received their order a place would probably be free anyway. You know, natural rotation. Haven't read of such a thing for years now. Maybe they worked out that it wasn't a good idea to leave their valuables on a table and then walk away. Not everyone though, judging by this story. Even in the home.

My wife used to lock stuff in a drawer even if family were coming, something we'd probably never dream of in Farangland. So much for close Thai families. We did actually have a nephew rob us. I'd banned him from the house as the good-for-nothing would just show up, ignore everyone, hang around for awhile, take a snack or two from the cupboard and then leave. A few days later, while I was away, he entered the house one night using keys another relative had, and stole two phones and some money, even from beside the bed where my wife was sleeping. We were sure it was him as there was no forced entry.

But it was dealt with the Thai way. No police officially involved, even though my wife's brother is a policeman. Instead, he was sent off to the army for two years.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

She must have gotten special and expensive lessons in France. This is an expert finger pointing. Straight, with an upper bend, as well as distinct and really marking the specific subject that is lost. Hmmm... however that now can be possible. Anyway, thanks for another pointing picture. It goes into my collection of more than 2 300.

As an experienced pointologist, I have to agree with you. A good point starts with perfect balance: the mere soupçon of a body inclination suggests the thing that was lost, and the tableau is the wrapped up by masterful finger position.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Will B Good said:

I see many, many properties around us have the same, ugly, grills fitted.

Is house crime really that bad?

I can't imagine most properties around us even have anything worth stealing.

We travel a fair bit so we opted to have painted bars fitted on the inside, from the outside they look like a prison, hence the reason they are inside, they actually look decorative, as I had never been a fan of bars, that said, when I am away for a few hours, wife and kids home, everyone feels safe and also when sleeping at night. Also have a safe for valuables, passports etc.

I would have loved to of had an alarm installed but don't think anyone would pay attention here, village folk, that said, could also put in CCTV but I am pretty sure there is enough security, windows open all day until it gets hot, suffice to say, no ones coming in here without a solid sledge hammer or oxy, that said, would have to make enough noise to be noticed, I would imagine.

We don't really have people over, but when we do, the valuables are in the safe so not much to worry about, that said when the wife's sister drops in, she will ask me to put her purse which she usually leaves on the table, to be put in the draw, sisterly love I guess ????

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, multatuli said:

Gaffe is perfectly ok in English. I find it regularly in the NYT crossword puzzles. What backwater are you from?

(ɡæf) / noun British slang, archaic. a person's home, esp a flat. Also called: penny-gaff a cheap or low-class place of entertainment, esp a cheap theatre or music hall in Victorian England.

noun
noun: gaffe; plural noun: gaffes
  1. an unintentional act or remark causing embarrassment to its originator; a blunder.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

(ɡæf) / noun British slang, archaic. a person's home, esp a flat. Also called: penny-gaff a cheap or low-class place of entertainment, esp a cheap theatre or music hall in Victorian England.

noun
noun: gaffe; plural noun: gaffes
  1. an unintentional act or remark causing embarrassment to its originator; a blunder.

I never heard the word before, same with miscreants and blag. Had to Google them, poor translations in my opinion.

I do find it interesting it is always houses that have burglaries, whereas I have yet to see a report of a condo apartment being robbed.

Quite apart from any security the condo has in place, for a burglar there is no opportunity for reconnaissance, and no way of knowing what is waiting behind the door.