Yet Another Road Tragedy (?) in Jomtien

Atlantis

I'm already numb to reading about serious/fatal traffic accidents occurring at night, even in sleepy little Jomtien, but this was before 09:00 AM this morning. It was sunny and dry.

Was sitting on a songthaew (baht bus) on Jomtien Second Road waiting to turn right into Soi 1 towards the beach. Saw an open umbrella right in the middle of the junction. Odd. Took a few seconds to notice that a few meters away was an ambulance and crew staring down at the ground behind the umbrella.

As we turned onto Soi 1, got a better look at the victim: male, white, probably in his 60s, well tanned, pretty typical rotund build. (Out of respect, the attached image is from Google, not from the actual scene.)

He was lying motionless on the stretcher on the ground, eyes closed.  The emergency crew was just standing there for the good part of a minute instead of picking him up into the back of the ambulance. Why? Only positives are that he had been riding a bicycle, not a motorbike so he couldn't have been going very fast, and that he was struck by a fairly small car.

So if you're sitting around along the beach right now wondering where your bike-riding acquaintance is: he probably isn't coming today.

Google Image.jpg

• Sad 2

I have been push biking in this exact area for years. I use the approach of being aggressively chicken. Two mirrors on the handlebars, constantly screening for idiot drivers (most of them are), and getting myself to the dark side as quickly as possible. Hardly a day goes by that I don't have a near brush with death. The problem is it's the only exercise I will do faithfully. Heavy sigh . . .

1 hour ago, Paradise Pete said:

I frequently cross that intersection on foot. I have to look about six different directions to be sure it's safe. There's even a gravel road behind and to the left of that pic that cars and bikes often come from.

The rider was lying in the circle and the small car in green, strange position, not obvious where the rider was coming from or going

Screenshot_2022-03-26-17-12-46-431_com.google.android.apps.maps~2.jpg

14 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

The rider was lying in the circle and the small car in green, strange position, not obvious where the rider was coming from or going

Screenshot_2022-03-26-17-12-46-431_com.google.android.apps.maps~2.jpg

Can't know for sure, of course, but my guess would be that he was making a right turn onto 2nd road and a car was either coming straight from Tappraya or perhaps more likely out of that gravel road. From the gravel road it's never obvious when it's your turn to go, and if the bike was coming straight on the driver might not have seen it.

3 hours ago, Paradise Pete said:

Can't know for sure, of course, but my guess would be that he was making a right turn onto 2nd road and a car was either coming straight from Tappraya or perhaps more likely out of that gravel road. From the gravel road it's never obvious when it's your turn to go, and if the bike was coming straight on the driver might not have seen it.

I'm a rider but some of these solo older riders flit about, i suspect he flitted out and didn't check properly and nor did the car

19 hours ago, blackshadow said:

WHERE the photo IT is thrappaya road NOT soi one.......it at the lights at the end of second road.....the thtappaya road goes down towards beach road......

Read what the OP posted!!! He said he was,not the casualty!! ????