Will tourism in Thailand bounce back from Covid differently?

webfact

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Eco back to nature resorts should also prosper, as the world adjusts to saving the planet.

LOL.

They used to stay in atap A frames and poop in a hole in the ground, but people wanted aircon, tv and hot water, so the A frames were replaced by concrete. Not going to happen in a major way IMO. However, there have always been those willing to pay for inferior places if they can feel good by doing so.

I can't see the bar scene returning as it was, given the on line alternative for companions. Perhaps some thing like Hua Hin had.

30 minutes ago, actonion said:

Fabulous beaches ..where? .......I've seen better, cleaner beaches  in south west UK  than Thailand..

I'm guessing you aren't a happy camper and won't be back?

3 hours ago, eggzthaioz said:

Thai government officials and decision makers just don't get it.

While all the stupid restrictions are in place tourists aren't going to come.

As a long term visitor over 45 years I'm off to Cambodia to spend my tourist $$$. Then off to Vietnam for awhile.

Thailand won't be getting any of my doe ever again.

Bunch of idiots running the country. 

I wonder whats in Cambodia that tickles your fancy? 

Thailand wants quality tourists and they will come in time. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, actonion said:

Fabulous beaches ..where? .......I've seen better, cleaner beaches  in south west UK  than Thailand..

As for over rated Thai restaurant food, that has too much sugar and salt added , cooked in the cheapest oil, in very un hygienic  conditions 

Aberdeen, Balmedie and Cruden Bay are lovely beaches, with the best golf courses in the world. One made by Donald Trump, one by Old Tom Morris but with sideways rain and 10c in summer they are nothing compared to beaches on Koh Mak. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

Aberdeen, Balmedie and Cruden Bay are lovely beaches,

Agree, but the gale force winds and torrential rain put me off a bit.

I lived and worked in Glasgow for 6 summer months, once the windows to my apartment were blown out, it also rained every day.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Agree, but the gale force winds and torrential rain put me off a bit.

I lived and worked in Glasgow for 6 summer months, once the windows to my apartment were blown out, it also rained every day.

Did you read the bit I wrote after that, about the weather? 

Tourists will return to Thailand once the Corivirus restrictions are lifted 

Paperwork travelling into Thailand required ect

Pattaya   Phuket bar scene will not be on the scale as before 

As we know the Government is trying to show Thailand as a family holiday 

Scene not girls and bars 

Thailand does have more to show and will recover in the future 2023 onwards 

Yes. Entirely different. Everything has changed. Even Thailand. Zombie paranoia combined with pasteurization of the flavor and culture of the place may somehow seem appropriate for the fake puritans, but this is not appealing for tourists.

It may return to 2 million arrivals next year. And as many as 5 million by 2027. 

Is Thailand making any effort, on any level to address the issues that were present, pre-Covid? Traffic and public safety, air quality, road congestion, luxury taxes, wine taxes, jet ski scams?

I could go on all day. My guess is nothing is being done to address anything, and every issue they currently face is being blamed on Covid. Now, they have a real scapegoat, and looking within for the source of any of the problems is less likely than ever.

I truly believe, that 20 or 30 years from now, in tourism industry, business and sociology classes, at the uni level, there will be tours of these hollowed out shells, of huge hotels that were built, and could neither find guests to stay, nor even a market for condo conversions, and ended up abandoned, after buyers could not be found, or owners refused to accept 30% of the land and construction costs, as a sales price. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1