Moving to Philippines

On 4/4/2022 at 12:11 PM, bradiston said:

I'm UK resident for tax purposes. So I am liable to pay UK tax, but don't qualify for a pension raise. Go figure. Is that fair?

Life isn't fair. Horrible people get to be in charge and nice guys come last in the love game.

Don't like it, become a politician and change it.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Life isn't fair. Horrible people get to be in charge and nice guys come last in the love game.

Don't like it, become a politician and change it.

Please, enough with the gratuitous advice.

• Haha 2

On 4/4/2022 at 7:29 AM, bradiston said:

Oh, and I googled your suggested search string. It seems the fraud in question is mostly fraud committed by, for instance, NHS operatives themselves, eg NHS trusts and GPs claiming for patients they don't have. Too many crossed wires in your cross hairs.

Mostly, so what? It doesn't mean individuals don't commit fraud. Maybe their chances of getting caught is lower but it is still fraud.

On 3/29/2022 at 9:55 AM, Tall Midget said:

I think foreigners who show up for treatment without paying, and someone who has contributed all their lives with NI payments and income tax should be 2 different kettles of fish. Wouldn't you feel some sort of entitlement after working all your life?

Pensions are paid for by current taxpayers not past contributions. In the past you were covered even if you did not claim any NHS treatment or benefits. If u are now a non UK resident then your entitlement to state benefits that a UK resident is entitled to has expired. No good trying to justify otherwise with fake sentiment.

Edited by Card
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/4/2022 at 7:11 AM, bradiston said:

I'm UK resident for tax purposes. So I am liable to pay UK tax, but don't qualify for a pension raise. Go figure. Is that fair?

Paying tax in the UK from govt pension, bank interest does not entitle you to UK residence for tax purposes. In most cases only living in the UK for at least 180 days per year will entitlement you to that.

10 hours ago, Card said:

Pensions are paid for by current taxpayers not past contributions. In the past you were covered even if you did not claim any NHS treatment or benefits. If u are now a non UK resident then your entitlement to state benefits that a UK resident is entitled to has expired. No good trying to justify otherwise with fake sentiment.

So you're blaming current pensioners for the UK governments inability to manage the pension contributions we paid? If they're that short of money why not disband the armed forces, or quit NATO?

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1

Just now, BritManToo said:

So you're blaming current pensioners for the UK governments inability to manage the pension contributions we paid?

Sounds like he might believe that your not entitled to the pension you worked so hard for if your not a UK resident for 180 days, but then maybe I am reading his posts wrong.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, bradiston said:

I said I didn't return the questionnaire which will immediately freeze it. I really object to your combative tone. <deleted> is your problem? You on a mission? Go for the guys who really screw the system. How about Sunak's wife? Oh of course, tax avoidance, not evasion.

And I posted extensively about the £8.3 billion the upright members of the British public took the DWP for last year, mostly for universal credit, so don't talk to me about defrauding the NHS. I don't plan ever to return to UK so you can rest easy I won't be stealing your tax $s, or £s, rather.

On 4/7/2022 at 8:58 AM, BritManToo said:

So you're blaming current pensioners for the UK governments inability to manage the pension contributions we paid? If they're that short of money why not disband the armed forces, or quit NATO?

What in God's name are u talking about?

On 4/7/2022 at 8:32 AM, bradiston said:

I said I didn't return the questionnaire which will immediately freeze it. I really object to your combative tone. <deleted> is your problem? You on a mission? Go for the guys who really screw the system. How about Sunak's wife? Oh of course, tax avoidance, not evasion.

You did not carry out an action for which a consequence was threatened. It does not mean the threat was carried out . Do u understand?

BTW, you should learn to control your anger.........even when you know you are wrong.

Edited by Card
  • Like 1

On 4/7/2022 at 8:59 AM, ThailandRyan said:

Sounds like he might believe that your not entitled to the pension you worked so hard for if your not a UK resident for 180 days, but then maybe I am reading his posts wrong.

Correct. So u do understand the fraud in this case then.

On 4/7/2022 at 9:29 AM, bradiston said:

And I posted extensively about the £8.3 billion the upright members of the British public took the DWP for last year, mostly for universal credit, so don't talk to me about defrauding the NHS. I don't plan ever to return to UK so you can rest easy I won't be stealing your tax $s, or £s, rather.

Mere deflection.

22 minutes ago, Card said:

Correct. So u do understand the fraud in this case then.

Your a little lost.  A pensioner does not need to live in the UK at all to obtain the earned pension and the pension itself was paid for not just by the employer or government but was also paid into by the pensioner.  Can the pension be frozen, well thats another matter for discussion and someone collecting their pension while living in Thailand is not committing fraud.

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Your a little lost.  A pensioner does not need to live in the UK at all to obtain the earned pension and the pension itself was paid for not just by the employer or government but was also paid into by the pensioner.  Can the pension be frozen, well thats another matter for discussion and someone collecting their pension while living in Thailand is not committing fraud.

Correct. I misread it. I was referring to the annual increase of the state pension normally given to UK residents but not those living in Thailand, rather than the state pension itself.  It is sometimes difficult to keep up with the deflection that goes on with some of the guys on this forum trying to justify fraud. But I try.

Edited by Card

On 3/28/2022 at 10:29 PM, Surasak said:

Any tips, suggestions, advice or warnings gratefully received.

Yes. Never ever under any circumstances have sex or get involved with a Filipino woman. You will regret it.

If this is a problem , seek out fellow expat females of your own age and form relationships with them.

This is the absolute best advice you will ever get.

Secondly , stay away from expat hotspots that are geared up to scamming foreigners

Find a nice quite place far from the maddening crowds where you can live cheaply without being exploited.

If you are not religious at least pretend to be some kind of Christian and things will go a lot better.

This advice only applies if you are thinking of living in the Philippines until you die.

If you were only thinking of a year or two , rent an apartment in Angeles City and let the chips fall where they may.

Be wary of good women with degrees and good jobs. They will take you to the cleaners.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Denim said:

Yes. Never ever under any circumstances have sex or get involved with a Filipino woman. You will regret it.

If this is a problem , seek out fellow expat females of your own age and form relationships with them.

Secondly , stay away from expat hotspots that are geared up to scamming foreigners

Find a nice quite place far from the maddening crowds where you can live cheaply without being exploited.

If you are not religious at least pretend to be some kind of Christian and things will go a lot better.

This advice only applies if you are thinking of living in the Philippines until you die.

If you were only thinking of a year or two , rent an apartment in Angeles City and let the chips fall where they may.

Be wary of good women with degrees and good jobs. They will take you to the cleaners.

I worked with many Filipina nurses, all good women with degrees. Can't say I agree with you on that, any more than any woman of any ethnicity will take us to the cleaners. Depends on the individual, as always.

32 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I worked with many Filipina nurses, all good women with degrees. Can't say I agree with you on that, any more than any woman of any ethnicity will take us to the cleaners. Depends on the individual, as always.

Happens in Thailand too, women with good jobs and money maybe due to family will get the max following a divorce, a bar girl will likely roll over, personally shouldn't marry either

On 4/6/2022 at 10:08 PM, Card said:

Paying tax in the UK from govt pension, bank interest does not entitle you to UK residence for tax purposes. In most cases only living in the UK for at least 180 days per year will entitlement you to that.

UK resident for tax purposes means I'm still liable to pay UK tax even though I'm not resident in the UK. It's not a privilege. Nor "an entitlement". It's my status. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Denim said:

I had sex with a selection of Filipino women, no regrets.

I always told them I was a Catholic so I didn't need to wear a condom.

(Oddly enough, that also works in Vietnam)

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Denim said:

If this view isn't sarcasm at it's finest then the poster must be a virgin Monk or Celibate priest....

1 hour ago, bradiston said:

UK resident for tax purposes means I'm still liable to pay UK tax even though I'm not resident in the UK. It's not a privilege. Nor "an entitlement". It's my status. 

Let me repeat it again. To be a UK resident for tax purposes, except in special cases like armed forces, you need to spend at least 180 days in the uk. If u don't you can still be liable for uk tax.

19 minutes ago, Card said:

Let me repeat it again. To be a UK resident for tax purposes, except in special cases like armed forces, you need to spend at least 180 days in the uk. If u don't you can still be liable for uk tax.

Put this to bed

https://imperiallegal.com/tax-residency-in-uk/

image.png.13e162a1b0144f94436a8a50751ed9dc.png

28 minutes ago, Card said:

https://www.gov.uk/tax-foreign-income/residence#:~:text=You may be resident under,days in the tax year

You're talking about resident in the UK. And it's 183 days. That's a completely different matter. You can be non resident according to the online residency test, and still pay UK tax. Take the residency test. It's easy.

Anyhow, that's how I interpret "UK resident for tax purposes". It simply means you're liable for UK tax, whatever your residency status. I accept that, and I make a UK tax return every year, even though I'm non resident.

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

If this view isn't sarcasm at it's finest then the poster must be a virgin Monk or Celibate priest....

Congratulations....well spotted.  Obviously plenty here that missed the sarcasm.

I had 2 Filipina girlfriends back in the UK. Both nurses both nice. And then along came this Chinese Malay hottie from Penang and I was smitten.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Denim said:

Congratulations....well spotted.  Obviously plenty here that missed the sarcasm.

I had 2 Filipina girlfriends back in the UK. Both nurses both nice. And then along came this Chinese Malay hottie from Penang and I was smitten.

Happened as well, when I lived in the Phils, 1 was a nurse the other running a real estate company .  I however, was smitten by my Myanmar Karen Ethnic Hottie who ran a salon prior to Covid here in BKK.  Hair cuts are free every 4 weeks....lol

• Like 1