Moving to Philippines

5 hours ago, pagallim said:

Just for clarity here, UK citizens are liable to income tax on UK earnings (pensions for example), regardless of the time spent outside of the country or where resident.

Yes, of course incl bank interest. I have tried so many times to make that clear. But like I have written many times, paying tax on UK earnings does not mean that you are a UK resident for tax purposes.

Edited by Card
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Card said:

Yes, of course incl bank interest. I have tried so many times to make that clear. But like I have written many times, paying tax on UK earnings does not mean that you are a UK resident for tax purposes.

Er, hello? If you're not UK resident for tax purposes why would you pay UK tax? You could say, paying tax on UK earnings does not mean you are resident in the UK, agreed. But paying tax in the UK it does mean you're resident for tax purposes. You seem to have got your knickers in a twist about residency. Is it that you feel people paying UK tax are somehow unfairly claiming UK residency? I don't see any advantage in UK residency. In fact, non residency has far greater advantages for me than residency, and I'm not going to explain why, either. I think this conversation has ended now, from my side, at least. I'll let you have the last word.

On 4/11/2022 at 10:35 PM, Denim said:

Yes. Never ever under any circumstances have sex or get involved with a Filipino woman. You will regret it.

If this is a problem , seek out fellow expat females of your own age and form relationships with them.

This is the absolute best advice you will ever get.

Secondly , stay away from expat hotspots that are geared up to scamming foreigners

Find a nice quite place far from the maddening crowds where you can live cheaply without being exploited.

If you are not religious at least pretend to be some kind of Christian and things will go a lot better.

This advice only applies if you are thinking of living in the Philippines until you die.

If you were only thinking of a year or two , rent an apartment in Angeles City and let the chips fall where they may.

Be wary of good women with degrees and good jobs. They will take you to the cleaners.

You make that sound as if I need a chastity belt, or at least two sets of eyes in the back of my head. But I asked for it and you gave. Cheers

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Surasak said:

You make that sound as if I need a chastity belt, or at least two sets of eyes in the back of my head. But I asked for it and you gave. Cheers

As someone else noticed , it was said in jest. If I were not fully committed here I would be there. Infrastructure there still not as good as here but lovely people and food not as bad as everyone says. Comparative accommodation there also a bit more than here but if you shop around bargains to be had.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2022 at 3:35 AM, Denim said:

If this is a problem , seek out fellow expat females of your own age and form relationships with them.

Having pointed out a zillion times that I'm not interested romantically with an farang woman from any western country, why would I want to seek out an expat woman? Celibacy is preferable to a PC western woman IMO.

• Haha 1

On 4/12/2022 at 8:45 PM, bradiston said:

Er, hello? If you're not UK resident for tax purposes why would you pay UK tax? You could say, paying tax on UK earnings does not mean you are resident in the UK, agreed. But paying tax in the UK it does mean you're resident for tax purposes. You seem to have got your knickers in a twist about residency. Is it that you feel people paying UK tax are somehow unfairly claiming UK residency? I don't see any advantage in UK residency. In fact, non residency has far greater advantages for me than residency, and I'm not going to explain why, either. I think this conversation has ended now, from my side, at least. I'll let you have the last word.

I assume it's similar to NZ non residency for tax. One still has to pay tax on anything earned in the country, but at a lower rate. It just means that one doesn't pay tax on anything earned OUTSIDE the country.