COVID-19: Thailand reports 28,029 new coronavirus cases, 96 deaths, 23,352 recoveries

webfact

COV30.jpgFile photo

Thailand on Saturday (April 2) reported 28,029 new COVID-19 cases, 23,352 recoveries and 96 additional deaths over the past 24 hours. 

Saturday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 3,684,755 with 25,318 deaths.

The report comes as every day another organization, association, group, business, or something similar is in the news suggesting/demanding/asking for the Thai Government to lift or ease Covid-19 restrictions, especially Test and Go and Thailand Pass.

In the past two weeks alone the Federation of Thai Industries (FTI), Thai Chamber of Commerce, Thai Tourism Council, Thai Hotel Association, Thai Entertainment Association including One Voice in Pattaya, and many more have called for the Thai Government to basically get rid of Thailand pass and Test and Go. Some have also asked for the almost year-long legal ban on nightlife and bars to be lifted.**

**THE PATTAYA NEWS contributed to this report

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Asean-now_Covid-Dashboard-Stats-Graphic-Template-Thailand-(update2APR).png

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-04-02

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

According to reports in Chonburi, it's mild/asymptomatic in 99.6% of cases. 

Omicron becomes a life/death issue for the really old and frail, so great care needs to be given to any decision to lift restrictions imo.

Yesterday 6 of the deaths (7%) were under age 60 with no known chronic conditions

Just now, mommysboy said:

Ok. But this can be read as 93%................................... well you know the rest. 

No it can be read as a direct counter to your claim that "Omicron becomes a life/death issue for the really old and frail"

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The median age of COVID deaths here has been running in the 70s typically (73 yesterday), meaning half above that age and half below that age. So that doesn't quite equate to only "really old and frail."

Also, my father, as one example, lived into his 90s, and was quite active until the very end. Don't think he and others similar would be too happy at the prospect of some people here writing them and the last 20 years of their lives off just because they got to be senior citizens.

PS -- only 36% of Thailand's senior citizen population (age 60 and above) has thus far received their third shot COVID vaccine booster dose that's needed to best protect against Omicron. Almost TWO-THIRDS have not.

Eh! I simply stated omicron is a life and death issue for the really old and frail.

I meant that it should not be treated lightly. It's definitely not mild for this cohort.

I didn't say all older people are very old, or that all old people are very frail. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

No it can be read as a direct counter to your claim that "Omicron becomes a life/death issue for the really old and frail"

By you maybe.  I didn't even mention younger people at all.  Of course younger people can die too.

9 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

By you maybe.  I didn't even mention younger people at all.  Of course younger people can die too.

No because you qualified that with "death issue for the really old and frail" Yes it can cause death for younger people even when they have no underlying conditions 

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1

humans, we can adapt to anything.

I remember back, back in the good 'ol days of yesteryear when one case in a city shut everything down.  vaccines, education, etc.  seemed to put 95% of people at ease; HOWEVER, the death rates aren't exactly saying don't worry. 

i don't know what to think anymore.    it's the 'ol saying that basically says it doesn't matter until it happens to you or someone close to you.

I don't want a fourth shot.   

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

No because you qualified that with "death issue for the really old and frail" Yes it can cause death for younger people even when they have no underlying conditions 

I see.  I merely meant it is most certainly a life and death issue for very old and frail people, and that is why we may need to be careful.

• Like 1

Excerpt from Chonburi report today:

https://thepattayanews.com/2022/04/02/chonburi-announces-1507-new-and-confirmed-cases-of-covid-19-and-four-new-deaths/

Eight people were listed as being in serious condition in Chonburi currently, either on a ventilator or with pneumonia. One of them was not vaccinated. According to the Chonburi Department of Public Health, the vast majority of recent cases, at 99.701 percent, are mild or asymptomatic.

The four new deaths were 31, 82, 87, and 95 years old with severe personal health problems and pre-existing conditions. None of them were vaccinated.

• Thanks 1

The Department of Disease Control has refuted a suggestion that it has been distorting the number of daily COVID-19 cases, identified using rapid antigen tests, to give an impression that there are fewer infections in the country.

Dr. Chakkarat Pittayawonganon, director of the Bureau of Epidemiology of the Department of Disease Control, said that the infection numbers reported by the department come from the central “dashboard”, which compiles the figures obtained from all hospitals and health offices nationwide.

The anticipated surge means that there will be more cases of lung inflammation, which will require ventilators for treatment.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailand-confirms-accurate-reporting-of-positive-covid-19-antigen-tests/?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

Covid is here to stay and we just need to live whit it!

What you really are meaning in the above comment is...

Covid is here to stay and we just need to DIE whit it!

[as Thailand is now approaching 100 COVID deaths per day....]

Sorry, but I don't accept that notion.

Get the booster vaccine, wear quality face masks consistently and maintain social distancing... If everyone did those things, far fewer people would get sick and die from COVID.

But too many people just aren't doing those simple things to curb the pandemic. And some aren't just not doing those things, but are advocating that there shouldn't be rules and policies that require or encourage those things that would help protect everyone.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

What I took issue with in your original comment was its implication -- intended or not, that's how I perceived it -- that ONLY the very old and frail people can die/are dying from COVID... And while those may be the majority, they're certainly not the only ones.

I'm just over 60 in age, not frail at all, and not in poor health. But the COVID data suggests that my age cohort/profile is at greater risk of COVID serious illness and death, particularly if unvaccinated, and to a lesser extent, even if only double vaxed.

In short, Omicron CAN be a life/death issue for a variety of folks, not only the "really old and frail."

Some people here -- and I'm not referring to you -- like to suggest that the only people dying from COVID are those who are already on death's door due to age or heath problems. And that's simply not true.

Honestly, I feel you were wrong to do so.

10 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

PCR test positive cases, total of 26,840 official new infections. 97 official covid deaths recorded.

Rapid tests positive cases, 20,495 bringing the total of PCR and ATK results to 47,335

https://ddc.moph.go.th/covid19-dashboard/

OWD rolling 7 day average, cases and deaths up to 1st March

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus/country/thailand

image.png.23c6baf50a858997681850faf915d3a2.png

image.png.f1a538bbafeb36473fd3ac6a08d84387.png

image.png.ee24f47b88e6ea0e8633b20e7a089395.png

@Bkk BrianThanks for the Sunday update as it seems they have not posted on a Sunday in awhile and we just end up continuing Saturdays post making the OP a weekend posting. Cases still seem to be increasing in the serious condition, intubated and deaths as this wave just keeps extending out.  One has to wonder if the initial Omicron wave ever dissipated as it then moved into the new subvariant of Omicron which is taking over.

• Like 1

According to an article in the BP that can not be linked the first case of Omicron XE has been detected and sequenced.  XE is s mutant hybrid of the BA.1 and BA.2 variants.  It is supposed to be an even more infectious and faster moving variant than the prior two.  One has to wonder if any immunities gained from having been vaccinated, boosted and then having Omicron will keep one from being re-infected with the new variant.  Covid the gift that keeps on giving.

4 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

According to an article in the BP that can not be linked the first case of Omicron XE has been detected and sequenced.  XE is s mutant hybrid of the BA.1 and BA.2 variants.  It is supposed to be an even more infectious and faster moving variant than the prior two.  One has to wonder if any immunities gained from having been vaccinated, boosted and then having Omicron will keep one from being re-infected with the new variant.  Covid the gift that keeps on giving.

Thats all we need..........????

WHO warns against new mutant 'XE' variant of Omicron; says more transmissible than any strain of COVID-19

This new variant is a recombinant strain, meaning it is a mutant hybrid of the two previous versions of the Omicron variant, BA.1 and BA.2, which spread across the world when it first became a variant of concern

21 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

You are so wise and recommend what? Every senior citizen going to wear mask forever and stay in closet for rest of their lifes!? Nothing going to chance the fact that everybody going to get covid in some point! Need to continue life even it takes some casualty's! Covid is here to stay and we just need to live whit it! Western world has already start to give a F about covid and open all even numbers of infected are higher than ever!

Governments in the western world are not running scared of protesters the way the soldiers in the Thai government are.

So you have the fear of the protesters, then you have the government and their money mad connections that have to be looked after.

34 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Thats all we need..........????

WHO warns against new mutant 'XE' variant of Omicron; says more transmissible than any strain of COVID-19

This new variant is a recombinant strain, meaning it is a mutant hybrid of the two previous versions of the Omicron variant, BA.1 and BA.2, which spread across the world when it first became a variant of concern

This is the crucial statement from the above:

Susan Hopkins, UKHSA chief medical adviser, told South China Morning Post that XE had shown a variable growth rate but the agency could not yet confirm whether it had a true growth advantage. “So far there is not enough evidence to draw conclusions about transmissibility, severity or vaccine effectiveness.”

11 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

This is the crucial statement from the above:

Susan Hopkins, UKHSA chief medical adviser, told South China Morning Post that XE had shown a variable growth rate but the agency could not yet confirm whether it had a true growth advantage. “So far there is not enough evidence to draw conclusions about transmissibility, severity or vaccine effectiveness.”

Its just been found recently so obviously more reliable stats are needed although they also said:

The WHO report echoes the 11 March UK Health Security Agency report which said, "As of 22 March 2022, there are 637 XE cases in England. These are geographically distributed across England and increasing in number, with the first case detected via sequencing on 19 January 2022, and most cases in East of England, London, and the South East... The median growth rate is +9.8 per cent per week. Numbers were too small for the XE recombinant to be analysed by region."

From the UKHSA latest update:

"We run a statistical model to calculate the probability of a sampled genome being from the novel variant vs from the control over time. Growth rates are calculated per week or per day and are expressed on a log scale. A logistic growth rate of 0.5 per week indicates that the variant is increasing by a multiplicative factor of exp (0.5) =1.65 per week in comparison to the control. A logistic growth rate of zero would indicate no difference in growth rates between the 2 variants."

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1063424/Tech-Briefing-39-25March2022_FINAL.pdf