Thai Durians Approved for Export to China

webfact

bcc4fc5ade509c8b5e6eef1920e2f2c3_small.jpg

by Natthaphon Sangpolsit

BANGKOK (NNT) - Thai durians can now be exported to China, owing to continued efforts by the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives to work with farmers and merchants in ensuring that the fruit, known for its distinct and persistent fragrance, passes safety and hygiene requirements.

Deputy Agriculture of Cooperatives Minister Mananya Thaiset said all products sold to China must be thoroughly inspected for coronavirus contamination.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

The ministry has also been working with the Ministry of Public Health and Chanthaburi Province to establish a new GAP Plus standard, an extension of its good agricultural practice (GAP) certification. The extension specifically ensures compliance with China’s requirements.

Under this new standard, the Department of Agriculture has been providing knowledge transfers to the farmers and merchants on proper pest control and disinfection procedures.

Local farmers are urged to dismiss unfounded rumors that Thai durians are no longer accepted in the Chinese market.

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-04-02

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I wonder if the taste changes after been stuck under UV light for hours as this is a practice here in China for all goods and materials coming from overseas. Personally I always found Durian smells like vomit and tastes like poop. The locals crowd around Durian like flies does around waste.

I bow to your more diverse tastes than mine.... but I like durian and am unable to make that comparison!

• Like 1