Tile Wet Saw?

Reposed

Looking for a small tile wet saw for installing a backsplash in my kitchen. Something cheap (blue) preferred, but I'd pay extra for quality (orange). 

Tiles are very dense and 1/2" thick x 2" x 8" with a heavy glaze. A side grinder is not going to cut it (pun intended).

iu.jpeg.cc58718ee7ce67f97e23352d164772fb.jpegiu-3.jpeg.860d5c3c8727423b495da914016579ab.jpeg

I used something like this.  With a wood blade, it was also great for cutting plywood.  Lots of different brands available at widely varying prices.

Blade diameter is too small to cut dimensional lumber like 2x4's.

TP TOOLS 4 inch water cutting machine, 1380W cutter, 45 degree adjustable angle, marble cutting, wood cutting, tile cutting, circular saw tile cutter

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/tp-tools-4-1380w-45-i2705753129-s9768222509.html

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, impulse said:

I used something like this.  With a wood blade, it was also great for cutting plywood.  Lots of different brands available at widely varying prices.

TP TOOLS 4 inch water cutting machine, 1380W cutter, 45 degree adjustable angle, marble cutting, wood cutting, tile cutting, circular saw tile cutter

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/tp-tools-4-1380w-45-i2705753129-s9768222509.html

I bought something similar to this except mine came with a water nozzle and some tubing. This idea being that the staff would use it to slit concrete. They never used it, only an angle grinder.

I think the key is the blade not the power source.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

I bought something similar to this except mine came with a water nozzle and some tubing. This idea being that the staff would use it to slit concrete. They never used it, only an angle grinder.

I think the key is the blade not the power source.

Mine came with a 1/4" hose to keep it wet. 

The biggest problem with using an angle grinder is the practice required to cut a straight line.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, impulse said:

Is there a spout to connect water o like the DeWalt, or do you simply 'flow' water over the tile?

Cheap enough!

1 minute ago, impulse said:

Mine came with a 1/4" hose to keep it wet. 

The biggest problem with using an angle grinder is the practice required to cut a straight line.

Yeah, I've set a lot of tile but always had $1000+ saws with sliding tables and miter fences. Here I have a snap cutter.

Most places the cut edge will be concealed behind the metal molding, but a few edges will be seen. Cutting the 2" edge is a slam dunk with a side grinder; cutting the 8" edge is not going to look nice.

49 minutes ago, jvs said:

Imo an angle grinder with a diamond blade will cut it easily.

The 2" edge maybe, the 8" edge is problematic. These are Italian tiles and pricey, I don't want chipped glaze or wandering cuts.

Even using the (wet) circular saw would require setting up a fence.....

I also have a bathroom to do down the road, so I'm thinking a full-size wet saw would be a good idea.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Reposed said:

Is there a spout to connect water o like the DeWalt, or do you simply 'flow' water over the tile?

Cheap enough!

Mine had a 1/4" tubing with a garden hose attachment and it also came with a rip fence.  I'm not sure how the linked model is equipped.  The one I had in Thailand was purchased in person at Klong Thom market in Chinatown, so I had a chance to look at it before I bought it.  Lazada itself has many models.  I did a translate of "tile saw" and used that for a search.

• Thanks 1

On 4/4/2022 at 11:24 AM, impulse said:

Yeah, I have the Ryobi version, it just works. Use wet on tiles and concrete, dry on Shera board.