Wearing pajamas in public

8 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Ha, ha, 

You would have blended in perfectly walking down soi Buakhao. 

Of course but not down the Banking and Insurance district here in Sathorn, I would of looked like the homeless Thai folks laying about in the doorways early in the morning.....

6 hours ago, digbeth said:

I think it originate in China, if you are wearing pajamas in expensive neighborhood that means you can afford to live there and are in walking distance and are only out to grab something.

But the Thais seem to get in their car, drive down to Lotuses or Big C in pajamas 

Yes, you are correct.

This fashion style originated in China.

Nothing wrong with what you choose to wear, as long as you wear something.

Even if you wear tape, it's still good.

model-walks-the-runway-for-black-tape-project-at-miami-swim-news-photo-999995438-1531928921.jpg.ff72ed50977e5c6a8a1ad3a80af41196.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Smelly pajamas probably not washed for weeks.

I think it is lazy, low class and inappropriate.

I assume you don´t use pajamas? Would you you please, tell us what is appropriate in a country where you are the outsider? Or would it just be better to accept it all and feel welcome to Thailand?

23 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I've been posting here for some time and one thing I've noticed is, if you don't give all the facts some members will ask unnecessary questions, some even rude questions or comments like your comment. 

I was just making a point.

I've been living in my house since arriving in Thailand. I'm isolated living in my house, I've never seen people walking around in their pj's. 

You can't win, you don't give enough information you get annoyed, you give too much information same. 

BTW, you get surprised easily, you need to get out, enjoy life. 

Have a great life in my little patch. Oh, didn't need to buy a condo to escape.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, malt25 said:

Oh, didn't need to buy a condo to escape.

Where do you go to escape? 

Why do you have to escape? 

Are you captured? 

Tell us more, what are your problems?

Maybe we can help you. 

Call 191, if you're in trouble. 

22 hours ago, CharlieH said:

images (35).jpeg

images (36).jpeg

Great pics!  The thread should tun into a pajama pic thread, but only legit ones actually taken by the person posting it, with info on the general location and time of day included.

Might get people out there into the fresh  

• Like 2

Could be many things but 2 spring to mind

Some of them will be ladies who exchange their bodies for money. Not regular working girls but rather flight attendants and other attractive girls who get paid heaps by middle aged, married Thai guys. So, they are waiting around getting sexy for them. Had this across from my condo in an upscale part of Bangkok a couple years ago. 

The other one is that wearing pajamas or other home clothes outside is in fashion now. It has started imup again in China. It is intended to signify that "I live here in this fancy neighborhood, so I am walking around in my house clothes." You can look it up. Shanghai, especially. 

23 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Are you captured? 

Maybe we can help you. 

OFFS ! You're the one who has to escape. Main problem is the embarrassment of you being an Aussie. Yes, I do escape everyday. to my shed, mancave. make lots of sawdust & the occasional bit of furniture. How about we cease this nonsense & call a truce ?

4 hours ago, malt25 said:

OFFS ! You're the one who has to escape. Main problem is the embarrassment of you being an Aussie. Yes, I do escape everyday. to my shed, mancave. make lots of sawdust & the occasional bit of furniture. How about we cease this nonsense & call a truce ?

No dramas mate, just thought you were having a dig at me because your comment was off topic.

Generally, when I receive a comment of topic it's a keyboard warrior with a sarcastic or hostile comment. 

Let's stay on topic,

'wearing pajamas in public'. 

BTW, you embarrass easily.

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/7/2022 at 8:11 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

Are you captured? 

Maybe we can help you. 

Calling international Rescue

No-one else can save us like you do 

Thunderbirds

thunderbirds

Thunderbirds are go go!

It depends how you define pyjamas.  I wear  shirts with matching  shorts that are worn  as pyjamas in China.

The  issue  is not the clothing but the  hygiene- fecal matter, urine and dried  skin and bacteria  collect on the body at night so getting out of bed and going to the shops or as in the UK taking the  kids to  school is lazy and dirty. But putting a fresh pair on is acceptable and Pyjamas  trousers with a cord  or worn  in many  countries in the MENA region and Asia.

Its not the clothing that is  the issue  it is the hygiene or lack  of  of the person wearing the clothing.

I wear a sarong all the time around the house - got into the habit in Goa in 73....

Edited by The Hammer2021

I admit to doing this in my 20s..id even wear them to happy hour and i started to work as a DJ there and id wear my paisley pants....and a turtleneck...so just the flannel pants

I got yelled at by the manager---I also wore my flannel chili pepper pj pants when i was working as a Chef as they looked like chef pants----got away with that one!!!

Comfy and cozy!

I live in a suburb of a US city that has a large population of immigrants from China.

The Chinese (male and female, and no, I have not positively verified their ethnic origin) do this as well.

Many appear to change to their pajamas as soon as they get home from work and do various chores in the yard, driveway etc. in their pajamas.

Also, taking walks or walking the dog or going to the park in their pajamas.

My favorite is going out to restaurants in their pajamas.

For most Americans this is unheard of, akin to walking around in their underwear, so it is noticeable when someone does it.

My opinion and experience only, as I am sure someone will point out that what I see with my own eyes can't be so.

Edited by cdemundo

I think we find it unusual to see people wearing 'pyjamas' outside their homes, as we're from countries where pyjamas are bedware.   It's often cold in our home countries, so thick cotton nightware was useful, and being comparatively wealthy, we could afford dedicated clothing for sleeping.  

In Thailand the tropical weather means that pyjamas were not really a thing.  Also, special clothes just wear in bed was not the norm ..... just like special clothes for swimming are not common amongst working class Thai people.

As others have said, the pyjamas as daywear originated in China, where people used to sleep in their normal clothes - as they could not afford special clothes for sleeping.  As China developed, and people had more cash, they would wear pyjamas in public to show that they were rich enough to buy special clothes for sleeping.

The fashion spread to Vietnam then Thailand, but it evolved into daywear.  Thais do not see them as pyjamas, (as nightwear is was not common here), they see them as comfortable, informal daywear.

So I think it only looks odd to Western eyes.

I was on a JAL flight and one of the younger moms put her young kids (2 and 4?) in PJ's for the night.

Then I noticed she was walking around the airplane in her PJ's without a bra.  

She was rather hot and sexy.  I wanted to take a photo of her but that would be weird.  LOL

Though, it was nice spank bank material for later.

• Haha 1

I think one better than hot girls wearing silk pyjamas outdoors, is the fashion for dresses that look like nighties.

I bought one for my TGF (now wife) and was impressed that she wore it for lunch in a local restaurant.

Only the once though, so lucky I had my camera with me. ????

• Like 1

The second I worry about other peoples clothes, please put a bullet in my head. 

Most rational people don't give 25 satangas about what other people are wearing, it's only the old bitter farts types that worry about others clothing.

9 hours ago, RafPinto said:

What's the problem?

Too many old people on this forum.
You don't understand the trend.

It's called the crypto generation dress code.

Every morning, I go in pj's to 7/11 for my coffee.

F9A0A4DD-8319-41C8-933D-B865740BC5AE.jpeg

Hell. That can not be unseen! Fantastic.