Re entry into Thailand with a re entry permit and a Retirement Visa

I have a Retirement Visa and before covid I would go to my local Immigration Office, get a re entry visa and fly home, return and enter the Kingdom. The Retirement Visa does need a Health Insurance attachment currently as I understand it. I am of the opinion that when you arrive at BKK the Immigration Officers are checking for Health Insurance and that it cover a period that co incides with the Visa which is held, so my question is this. If I fly home with a re entry permit in my passport and shows a current Retirement Visa will I e allowed to enter?

I am over 75 and trying to get Health Insurance is proving difficult maybe even impossible. I expect this is a situation affecting many others as well but no one seems to be able to clarify the position.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, nong38 said:

I am over 75 and trying to get Health Insurance is proving difficult maybe even impossible. I expect this is a situation affecting many others as well but no one seems to be able to clarify the position.

I  am in the same boat and going back next month for a month.

If you look here there is no age limit and for me coming from the UK on Non O in June they are saying 3700 baht for the 30 days.

https://www.tipinsure.com/CovidRegional/step_1

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I  am in the same boat and going back next month for a month.

If you look here there is no age limit and for me coming from the UK on Non O in June they are saying 3700 baht for the 30 days.

https://www.tipinsure.com/CovidRegional/step_1

I had a look at this but for Thailand it says for renewal only so that would not appear to be an option. I have also heard from Visa agents on youtube that Immigration Officers are checking health insurance documents particularly then coverage dates which have to co inside with your renewal  date of your visa, they appear to be aware of the difference between travel insurance and health insurance.

Just as another bit of information in today. I originally flew from the UK in 2019 with a return in the spring of 2020 then along came covid and the world changed. My flight was with BA and no refund was available but to contact them when I wished to return. BA are not expected to resume this route (LHR-BKK) until October of this year. Today a communication from BA saying they were refunding for the flight and I should receive that in the next 30 days. What this means now for me is that I will no longer by flying from the UK (LHR) but from Thailand (BKK) so any travel insurance which I might possibly be able to purchase will cease as soon as I return to Thailand at which point the Immigration Officer either accepts the re entry permit or rejects as I have no health insurance for Thailand and then I am stumped, you see the problem some of us face?

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, nong38 said:

I had a look at this but for Thailand it says for renewal only so that would not appear to be an option. I have also heard from Visa agents on youtube that Immigration Officers are checking health insurance documents particularly then coverage dates which have to co inside with your renewal  date of your visa, they appear to be aware of the difference between travel insurance and health insurance.

I think you are misreading the note about Renewal, this policy has been used by many that have come into Thailand on TP.

I wouldn't pay much attention to what visa agents say, I came back in Oct under COE using a policy I got with an airline ticket, they said that couldn't be done.

I haven't really looked closely yet, seen a couple of options. I am due back 9th June so will wait until mid May. If there is any chance of a change 1st June should know by then.

The main thing to know is your age is not an impediment, just an unwelcome expense, but not anywhere near with what I was faced with last year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nong38 said:

What this means now for me is that I will no longer by flying from the UK (LHR) but from Thailand (BKK) so any travel insurance which I might possibly be able to purchase will cease as soon as I return to Thailand at which point the Immigration Officer either accepts the re entry permit or rejects as I have no health insurance for Thailand and then I am stumped, you see the problem some of us face?

What you are saying is incorrect.

Two points, firstly your re entry permit has nothing to do with the insurance, that is effectively instead of a visa. If you didn't have a re entry permit, you would need to apply for a visa before you could apply for the TP.

To apply for the TP you need insurance that covers you in Thailand for up to 30 days so you need to purchase an appropriate policy. The one I posted has been around for a while and Ubonjoe has posted another. If you do not get the TP you will not get to board the flight to Thailand, far less see an immigration officer

You have to read the wording on the websites quite carefully, inbound travel in your case would mean going from UK to Thailand.

6 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Sounds like you initially had a non O and then ongoing extensions based on retirement.

No health insurance required.

You will require covid insurance and that is available at your age.

Your reentry permit can be purchased at immigration or airport on departure.

1000b single and 3800 multiple. 

Insurance to cover 30 days will be sufficient. 

I'm not clear on what you mean by insurance to cover 30 days. Isn't the insurance supposed to cover the remaining term of your extension or visa? If I have a non-o current extension which was gotten in March, wouldn't I have to have insurance covering me until then if I left now and returned in a month or two?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

22 minutes ago, nightbird said:

I'm not clear on what you mean by insurance to cover 30 days. Isn't the insurance supposed to cover the remaining term of your extension or visa? If I have a non-o current extension which was gotten in March, wouldn't I have to have insurance covering me until then if I left now and returned in a month or two?

You can get the Thailand pass and enter the country with only 30 days of covid 19 insurance. Many people have done it already.

Immigration does not check for the covid 19 issuance when entering the country. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dr Jack post is exactly right….

an add on - people seem to be pleased with covid insurance coverage from AXA…yes I got the min of 30 days as an expat on a visa non O extension 

if you are on a tourist visa say staying 6 weeks then insurance must cover entire stay of duration…AXA insurance only comes in 30 day increments…

expats got caught in the insurance mess but the intention was to cover tourists not non O expats who live here so 30 days of coverage for them does the trick…non OA visas are a totally separate insurance issue one must deal with

Edited by cardinalblue
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Immigration does not care about insurance, but to obtain a ThailandPass which is required you need a covid insurance covering at least 20k USD. Official requirement is coverage for entire visa validity, but 30 days should do. Obtain a 1-page confirmation of coverage not less than 20k for min. 30 days after entering Thailand and you should be good to go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Thalueng said:

Immigration does not care about insurance, but to obtain a ThailandPass which is required you need a covid insurance covering at least 20k USD. Official requirement is coverage for entire visa validity, but 30 days should do. Obtain a 1-page confirmation of coverage not less than 20k for min. 30 days after entering Thailand and you should be good to go.

I agree.

Have you recently entered Thailand.

Thinking some folk wanting first hand experience reports.

Again I agree with you take on it.n

Edited by DrJack54

2 minutes ago, Kopitiam said:

I came back 3 weeks ago with 30 days covid insurance and my extension of stay ends middle of September 2022.  No problem with Thailand Pass and immigration officer.

Quoting you to highlight.

Thankyou for post. 

First hand experience/feedback important. 

For added clarity can you outline your process at passport control upon entry. 

Imagine it was a nod and go? 

30 minutes ago, Kopitiam said:

Passport control was the normal.  Check your re-entry permit and the expiry date of your extension of stay.  Then stamp you in.  The IO is not bordered with what insurance you have.  Once you have your TP QR code approval, no one is interested in what or how long a covid insurance cover you have.  Even before the Immigration counter, the document checking counters are not interested in your covid insurance.  All they asked was TP QR code and vaccination certificate.  They took it that TP has checked and cleared the document submitted and issued the QR code.

One more piece of information which may be of interest, my wife (foreigner) came back in with a new passport.  All her vaccination records (in Thailand) have her old passport number.  No problem getting the TP approval.  Just have to show both passports to the Immigration Officer.

You mention they ask for vaccination certificate. I am not vaccinated. Isn't a negative test before boarding allowed in such cases?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, nightbird said:

You mention they ask for vaccination certificate. I am not vaccinated. Isn't a negative test before boarding allowed in such cases?

If you are unvaccinated, you would have to apply for the Thailand Pass under Alternative Quarantine category not Test&Go or Sandbox.  Since 1st April 2022, you don't even need a pre-departure PCR test.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/6/2022 at 6:43 PM, cardinalblue said:

Dr Jack post is exactly right….

an add on - people seem to be pleased with covid insurance coverage from AXA…yes I got the min of 30 days as an expat on a visa non O extension 

if you are on a tourist visa say staying 6 weeks then insurance must cover entire stay of duration…AXA insurance only comes in 30 day increments…

Link, please. TIA!

The Thai travel Insurance mentioned above is not available to foreigners who live in Thailand only to tourists arriving.

Thank you all for your replies and experiences so far. I am hoping that there will be more easing of restrictions come July and that I might be able to make return to the UK perhaps later in the year, getting travel insurance, like health insurance is likely to be a problem for someone like me at 75, from what I have gathered my re entry permit should gain me entry back into Thailand. I have had 3 vaccinations so far on the certificate but there is a terminal date on it so I guess come June I am going to have to get another booster to keep everyone happy.

@nong38 please clarify is your original visa was non-O or non-OA

If OA that is a whole other matter. If O, all you need is COVID cover and that is readily gotten from  the tgia website.  as long as you will be traveling to Thailand from abroad, does nto matter that you normally live in Thailand.

I have an O visa, when I last looked at the entry requirements which had covid insurance included the very last point on the bottom stated that this insurance was not available to Thais or foreigners living in Thailand, sorry I dont recall the official site I saw it on but it did seem as if the insurance mentioned with the 20k covid cover was aimed at tourists coming into the country rather than people who lived here. I am hoping that the covid restrictions will be eased in the near future but we will just have to see.