Elderly patients not being responsible by shunning booster shot, says senior doctor

webfact

screenshot_17361.jpg

By Cod Satrusayang

Elderly patients who refuse to get the booster shots are putting themselves at unnecessary risk and filling up healthcare facilities due to their inaction, a senior doctor told Thai Enquirer on Thursday.

Thailand has seen an uptick in Covid-19 cases for the last few months due to the arrival of the fast-spreading Omicron variant.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

The country added 26,081 new cases on Thursday with 91 fatalities. The average number of deaths per day has hovered between 60-90 cases for over a month with 75 per cent of those who have passed away from Covid-19 being 60 or above.

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-04-07

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, whiteman said:

I have not been offered a booster shot still waiting to hear over 5 months since 2nd shot I asked my hospital a fortnight ago they said no have.

They are being provided - if in Bangkok all 3 of the cellphone providers have system to make reservations on internet (which works without a Thai ID card).  But you may have to take action to obtain rather than wait for any notification.  

• Sad 1

My impression is that their outreach is targeting the elderly themselves. What about telling the younger generations to lay down the law to their elders, tell them to just take the shot and don't take no for an answer? (This comes from my experience with my own father; he would never take any advice from me till the beginning stages of his decline, then I just had to be firm and stand my ground and he would shut up and do it, what ever it was.) It might work in a certain percentage of cases.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, lopburi3 said:

They are being provided - if in Bangkok all 3 of the cellphone providers have system to make reservations on internet (which works without a Thai ID card).  But you may have to take action to obtain rather than wait for any notification.  

That's Bangkok! In Surat Thani it's not being offered. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

Are you Thai?  Few, if any Thai would ever take that path to elders in my experience

I'm not Thai and I know what you are saying. But the younger urban generations are changing and like I say, it could work in some cases. I'm just brainstorming, but you might agree with me that Thais all need to think outside the box more.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, whiteman said:

They are being provided - if in Bangkok all 3 of the cellphone providers have system to make reservations on internet 

I do not live in Bangkok   I live in Sri Racha

You can do a walk in at Royal Garden in Pattaya I believe. Not too far down the road.

Or coming from Sri Racha to Pattaya, the temple on the right side just after the 36 junction has a covid vaccination sign up too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mommysboy said:

But different areas seem to have from reports here on forum - open service at one or more locations most places (but if not reported here may take some checking to find location).  Surat Thani is one of the provinces that they were first to be made available from Jan 22 press report.  

• Sad 2

35 minutes ago, whiteman said:

I have not been offered a booster shot still waiting to hear over 5 months since 2nd shot I asked my hospital a fortnight ago they said no have.

There must be walk ins available near you. I had a Pfizer booster at my local government hospital earlier this week. In and out within an hour and a half.

You could be waiting a very long time for a notification of an appointment, that's if you ever get one at all.

Sometimes you need to grab the bull by the horns go out there and do it yourself.

1. Well, doctor, give us the stats on the "vaccination status" , "age" and "serious infection/death".

2. The elderly are being shamed now for no booster, but in a few months it'll be all of us without a second booster being shamed ... and then without a third booster ..., etc.

3. In some up-country towns, shots are not easy: I took someone to their second-shot appointment at their local hospital, and it took  four and a half hours.

Edited by law ling
  • Like 1

I assume they are referring to those who are 60 and older so I will soon be in that demographic. I've had two Pfizer and one Covid, but no booster. In no hurry for my first booster, which I will only get if absolutely necessary for travel or employment. So I too am an irresponsible fool. 

1 hour ago, whiteman said:

They are being provided - if in Bangkok all 3 of the cellphone providers have system to make reservations on internet 

I do not live in Bangkok   I live in Sri Racha

Phyathai Hospital Sriracha is offering Pfizer, alas not for free. No appointment needed. For last 6 months already.

• Like 1

i have 3.   asked a lady the other day how many...she said 2.   people around her heard and they were on her like a pack of dogs!!!  lol.    

your choice, but don't come crying to me when you are discriminated against.   you are not getting near my kids!!  never!!!  or I'll sue you!!  haha.

i'm pretty convinced omicron is going to be like the flu......everyone will get it.  and it seems to be very mild.

then, in 11 years ,when the spaceship lands.......the omicron activator will be pressed......and we will turn into something edible for the aliens........

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

But different areas seem to have from reports here on forum - open service at one or more locations most places (but if not reported here may take some checking to find location).  Surat Thani is one of the provinces that they were first to be made available from Jan 22 press report.  

Bangkok/Pattaya/Phuket/Chiang Mai- yes sure it's easy.

Well do that check finding then and tell me because I've had a look, and I want a booster.  

1 hour ago, Dmaxdan said:

There must be walk ins available near you. I had a Pfizer booster at my local government hospital earlier this week. In and out within an hour and a half.

You could be waiting a very long time for a notification of an appointment, that's if you ever get one at all.

Sometimes you need to grab the bull by the horns go out there and do it yourself.

'There must be walk ins available near you.'

Perhaps in some, not in others.

1 hour ago, Iamfalang said:

then, in 11 years ,when the spaceship lands.......the omicron activator will be pressed......and we will turn into something edible for the aliens........

Think you need something other than a covid booster  

Stay away from hospitals, you may end up in a padded room in a strait jacket  555

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, mokwit said:

Going through that now. People are probably refusing the booster as they don't want to be made ill again. I asked some Thai friends if they would do a fourth and they said no way, makes you too ill.

I have had three shots. The third, AZ, caused some bad effects for a month, although nothing I couldn't handle with some rest. But I don't want a fourth shot. Were I forced to have one, for visa extension or other reason, I would reluctantly go with AZ again. But no mRNA.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, John Drake said:

I have had three shots. The third, AZ, caused some bad effects for a month, although nothing I couldn't handle with some rest. But I don't want a fourth shot. Were I forced to have one, for visa extension or other reason, I would reluctantly go with AZ again. But no mRNA.

Likewise. There is no way I am having that mRNA poison in my body again. I don't understand what the benefit of making your body display a foreign protein on the surface of your cells is. For what benefit vs the established technology of AZ?

2 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Likewise. There is no way I am having that mRNA poison in my body again. I don't understand what the benefit of making your body display a foreign protein on the surface of your cells is. For what benefit vs the established technology of AZ?

I have an inner ear disorder. People with a similar problem have reported extensive problems, especially with Moderna. But Pfizer, too. I've put this link from vestibular. org up before. But it contains over 1000 pages of posts from people having ongoing difficulties after taking Covid shots.

https://vestibular.org/forum/dizziness/covid-19-vaccine-side-effects/paged/1013/

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mommysboy said:

It's in Surin province. Every Thursday at the local hospital. I had Pfizer 4th dose last week. My 11 yrs old had his 2nd kids Pfizer dose this afternoon. I'm guessing it could have something to do with the French donating 3.2 million Pfizer doses in March.

Get off your Bangkok-based high horse and check out the provinces, whom you have failed to supply with sufficient doses and failed to inform about availability. If any.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Elderly patients who refuse to get the booster shots are putting themselves at unnecessary risk and filling up healthcare facilities due to their inaction, a senior doctor told Thai Enquirer on Thursday.

Got my first booster last month, a municipal building 2 minutes walk from my home.

Told the lady next door to go get her booster, as she was due.

I had to talk her into her first two shots at the same place as she was told by friends not to have them due to stupid beliefs.

All her friends got the Delta variant as they were unprotected, she didn't go as she decided it was unnecessary.

Last week she got Omicron and gave it to her daughter & granddaughter.

Can't cure stupid.

Monthly "booster" shots?  

A fourth shot of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine increased protection against viral infection for only four to seven weeks, according to a massive study published Tuesday. The study included 1.25 million people age 60 and over in Israel who received their fourth dose between January and March. Israel uses only the Pfizer vaccine.  https://news.yahoo.com/second-covid-booster-shot-extends-012300452.html